What's new

Fios, AXE11000 2 pack, TP link switch, and do I need vlan iptv?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nelson57

New Around Here
Hi all,

I recently added a TP LINK TL-SG108E switch between FIOS ONT and zenWiFi ET12 pro router. The purpose was to resolve the widely known low upload speed issue. Just to be clear, it’s connected as ONT -> Switch -> Router.

I noticed people mentioned about vlan iptv port 102 to be set up on the router? I wonder what the purpose is, and do I need to do such for FIOS?

With the switch being added, my upload speed is enhanced from 120mb to 900mb in router, from 20mb to 200mb through a 6g wifi connection on my iPhone.

——————————————-

A related question: the switch was a plug-and-play for me. Do I need to set up the switch (like manually updating ip address etc)? I haven’t even logged onto the web UI…

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Nelson57.

As the switch does what you need at defaults, don't make more work for yourself.

Yes, the VLAN for the IPTV is on the WAN side coming from your ISP. You need to match the VLAN on the WAN side with a pass through into your network.

IPTV VLAN is used when you have additional IPTV or VoIP services from your ISP or your ISP has special requirements for WAN VLAN.
Thank you. Did a bit search offline and it looks like those are the two main purposes of VLAN.

Any comments on the IP address of the switch?

Yes, the VLAN for the IPTV is on the WAN side coming from your ISP. You need to match the VLAN on the WAN side with a pass through into your network.
Yep. Did a bit research and agreed FIOS doesn’t need it.

Also any comments on the IP address of the switch?

You are matching the VLAN not the switch IP. All a switch IP is to identify a switch for access not VLANs.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!