What's new

Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) vs ASUS RT-AX88U PRO AX6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sp.others

New Around Here
Hello,

I was looking to understand what do you all this think of the below is a better option for the next 5 years. I live in an apartment, have a NAS and do not plan on creating a mesh network anytime soon.

I have narrowed myself down to ASUS RT-AX88U PRO AX6000 or Gl.iNet Flint 2 (GL-MT6000). Looking at the specs:

RT-AX88U PRO vs GL-MT6000
CPU: 2.0 GHz quad-core (which?) vs MediaTek Quad-core, @2.0GHz
Memory: 1 GB RAM vs DDR4 1GB
Antennas: 2.4GHz 4x4, 5GHz 4x4 vs 4 x 2.4GHz + 5GHz two-in-one (? umm what does this mean) Wi-Fi Antennas
Ethernet Ports: 1 x WAN (2.5G), 1 x LAN (2.5G), 4 x LAN vs 1 x WAN (2.5G), 1 x WAN/LAN (2.5G), 4 x LAN

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I could not find the make of the CPU on Asus router and I didnt understand what 5GHz 2 in 1 antenna mean for GL-MT6000.

If you have some other router recommendation, I am all ears. I am looking for < $250, the best in the current market with 2.5G Ethernet ports and hopefully Wifi 6 or 6E support. Avoiding TP Link because I do not like the idea of subscription and recent privacy issues.

Thanks for any response or for your thoughts!

I own both, and I would recommend the Flint 2 for the price/performance. The Asus is a large beast. The Flint 2 can use stock firmware (based on OpenWrt) or use regular OpenWrt.

As stupid as it sounds, the only reason I’m still using the Asus is because the power cord for the Flint 2 is a couple inches too short to reach my designated power strip and still sit in my preferred “router location”.

The Asus is a solid router, but probably not worth the price difference. I’m no hardware guy, so there may be more scientific responses coming.

the only reason I’m still using the Asus is because the power cord for the Flint 2 is just short enough

Flint 2 + power extension cord then! 🤭

Seriously, for an apartment you'll be perhaps more than happy with any of the two. Flint 2 is cheaper and smaller size.

I have one Brume 2 device, it runs on similar OpenWrt as Flint 2, stock firmware skin is nice and with plenty of features including AdGuard Home DNS-blocker for ads/malware/etc. whatever you decide to filter on your network, VPN options with selective routing, DoT, DoH, etc. Not bad for the price.

Tech details found online about GL-MT6000 Flint 2:

CPU Filogic 830 (MediaTek MT7986AV), 4-core ARMv8 2.0GHz
RAM 1GB DDR4 Nanya
Flash 8GB eMMC Samsung
2.4GHz radio - MediaTek MT7976GN 4x4:4
5GHz radio - MediaTek MT7976AN 4x4:4
2.5GbE ports - Realtek RTL8221B
Gigabit ports - MediaTek MT7531AE
USB 3.0 port
Dimensions - 233 x 137 x 53 mm

Some say the longer the name the more false advertising is included. Enter Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Pro EVA Edition! :)

Gl.iNet Flint 2 (GL-MT6000).

If you have some other router recommendation, I am all ears. I am looking for < $250, the best in the current market with 2.5G Ethernet ports and hopefully Wifi 6 or 6E support. Avoiding TP Link because I do not like the idea of subscription and recent privacy issues.

If you don't like TPlink, you won't like Gl.iNet; both headquartered in China with China uboot. You can replace the uboot with openwrt version; however, most leave the China uboot in tact to make recovery easier.

Get the Asus TUF-AX6000 and flash with openwrt. Pros- same Filogic 830 SoC, slightly different wifi SoC, two more 2.4Ghz antennas, can flash back to Asus firmware, Asus USA warranty, and Made in **edit Vietnam. Cons - less storage and ram.

Asus TUF-AX6000 is $129 to $169 in USA now.

"Best in the current market" is Filogic 880 but probably not stable yet and very few devices:

Last edited:
Get the Asus TUF-AX6000 and flash with openwrt. Pros- same Filogic 830 SoC, slightly different wifi SoC, two more 2.4Ghz antennas, can flash back to Asus firmware, Asus USA warranty, and Made in Taiwan. Cons - less storage and ram.
They're made in Vietnam.

1719413162634.png

thank you, every one! yeah, I think Asus is the way to go. Hard for me to trust Gl.iNet if they are from Hong Kong (China) esp for a critical part of my network.

Flint2 is getting hella attention over on OpenWRT...

Probably due to it being very close to their recent HW reference platform for MediaTek

On the Amazon - prices are reasonable...

Hardware wise, the Flint 2 is very similar to the Asus TUF-AX6000.

What's fun is that MT6000 is close to baseline for OpenWRT - esp now that they've signed on with MediaTek as a tier-one partner...

And the GL-Inet device already runs a branch of OpenWRT for Factory, so moving over to full OpenWRT isn't that big of a deal...

I've been watching the whole MT76 branch, and it's been interesting, as many of the ath9k devs have moved over, and Mediatek is also fairly active...

Hi, I am also hesitant between these 2 but I am looking for something easy and user friendly interface. I guess flint 2 fall in this category.

Only thing I would like to know is the Wi-Fi range. I am unable to find any good info or review about range. Is it good for double story house ? If I leave modem on first floor will I able to get good reception on second floor?

Thanks

Decided to give one a try due interest on the forums and the very acceptable price for a dual-band, 4x4 AX router.

Since it has only been up for a couple hours, it is too soon to say more than it works just fine. I like how the management interface exposes lots of things to tinker with, much like pfsense. This is my first experience with OpenWRT, hence my surprise.

If the GL-MT6000 works out long term, this puts my future Asus purchases in jeopardy.

As MT6000 has 1GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, and an 8GB eMMC...

I like that it has two 2.5GBe ports, so one can chain in a 2.5GBe switch downstream...

That is a lot of headroom for a router - even if the WiFi isn't the first use-case, as a Router, reports so far are quite good, and as noted the WG performance of the MediaTek Filogic 830 is quite good.

The more I look at this box, the better I like it - I've got one on order for delivery next week - I'll let folks know what I find...

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 5.07.38 PM.png

Last edited: