What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some bufferbloat feedback. I have in the past tried to improve scores without much success. I suspect windows device drivers are part of the problem.

with qos_sfql=1 auto

Just to double check....auto is the descript of the option.....should just be

nvram set qos_sfql=1

I think it may be a quirk of the code that it would give the same result if you included the 'auto'

Just to double check....auto is the descript of the option.....should just be

nvram set qos_sfql=1

I think it may be a quirk of the code that it would give the same result if you included the 'auto'[/QU

Readyshare login: admin
Password:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Thu Sep 17 09:01:11 UTC 2015
admin@Readyshare:/tmp/home/root# nvram get qos_sfql
admin@Readyshare:/tmp/home/root#
OTE]

John,
I was evaluating the HGGomes Fork FW and it has support for TOR VPN (On the VPN Page). I think that TOR VPN may also have been implemented in RMerlins 378.55_0 FW. Is it possible to incorporate the TOR VPN into this Fork? I have read other posts in this thread asking whether this FW can hide the IP address of the router. This is a "free" way to implement it.

I'm not sure how "secure" this is anymore from governments who really want to find you but it seems to work ok against casual hacks and it is a lot easier to implement than OpenVPN which requires paid proxy servers.

Thanks for the FW.

V14E also running great, as have previous builds. Thanks!

(If you’ve a beta build with the BufferBloat work you wish me to test, let me know. I get poor "D" BufferBloat results from dslreports.com/speedtest, yet my throughput mostly feels consistent and fast. It’s a home network, so it’s not disruptive to do simple testing, yet my noob level of knowledge might not help. Comcast 120/11, Arris Moto 6183 16/4 channel modem, MacBook Pro r w/ ac, Asus 68 CFE 2.1.2.1 , TM-AC1900-AC80)

Last edited:
John,
I was evaluating the HGGomes Fork FW and it has support for TOR VPN (On the VPN Page). I think that TOR VPN may also have been implemented in RMerlins 378.55_0 FW. Is it possible to incorporate the TOR VPN into this Fork? I have read other posts in this thread asking whether this FW can hide the IP address of the router. This is a "free" way to implement it.

I'm not sure how "secure" this is anymore from governments who really want to find you but it seems to work ok against casual hacks and it is a lot easier to implement than OpenVPN which requires paid proxy servers.

Thanks for the FW.
When TOR was added I took a quick look at it and first impression was that it was a fairly large piece of work, so I put it on the back-burner waiting for someone to ask :) I can take another look at it now that V14 is settled down.

(If you’ve a beta build with the BufferBloat work you wish me to test, let me know. I get poor "D" BufferBloat results from dslreports.com/speedtest, yet my throughput mostly feels consistent and fast. It’s a home network, so it’s not disruptive to do simple testing, yet my noob level of knowledge might not help. Comcast 120/11, Arris Moto 6183 16/4 channel modem, MacBook Pro r w/ ac, Asus 68 CFE 2.1.2.1 , TM-AC1900-AC80)
You can try to see if you can improve bufferbloat on the V14E1 release by manually setting the qos_sfql nvram as described in the first post (or the inline post for E1). Please report back if you give it a go :)

Sorry, I should have put noob in bold, and noted that I tried logging into the router with Terminal and 192.168.1.1 on my Macbook, and didn't get anywhere. I searched around, and didn't find sufficiently rudimentary directions to get logged in, then how to proceed with telnet and SSH (using zoc7.app which is supposed to be similar to Putty and telnet for Mac OS?) to do something to set the code. If the code is there with UI in v15 or v16, I'll get you reported test results asap.

Other than the reported D, everything seems fine. ;-)

Attachments

• BufferBloat %22D%22.png
    BufferBloat %22D%22.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 513

Did you get a D on upload or download?

Do be wary of dslreports as I do not get real-world results. I get 20-180ms+ jitter/bufferboat on download with dslreports yet pfSense consistently measures 10-45ms (ping to first HOP) during a fully saturating download.
n6nWy9Pl.jpg

update stuttering/streaming: so it appears that amazon pushed an update on the firestick and it screwed some of the streaming stuff up. kodi is horrible for both web/local streams and HBO Go is just plan crappy, crashing and moving like stop-go claymation. however, when i run netflix or stream from my HTPC, everything is fine.

now i have a different question. i just upgraded on time warner from 50/5mbps to 200/20 so i had to purchase a new motorola sb6183 modem. with the same router settings, the 2.4ghz connection is worst than before. i can barely get 25megs on speedtest where as before, i consistently hit 45-50megs. when i plug in the lan, im getting 220megs. when i run 5ghz, i am hitting the device limit of the client at 130megs (150mbps max).

i tried changing the settings for 2.4ghz to just N device and 20mhz, but no dice. when i change the 2.4ghz universial beam forming to ENABLED and regulation to OFF, the 2.4ghz climbs back to 40-50megs, but the 5ghz plummets to 55megs as well. when i turn off beam forming and regulation to d, i get set back to 2.4ghz@25megs and 5.0ghz@130megs.

im chalking up the speed difference to crowded 2.4ghz channel, but its frustrating that just swapping out the modem from SB6121 to SB6183, i lose speed. Is there anything i can do to boost the 2.4ghz to match the 5.0ghz speed? its just that i have a couple of 2.4ghz only N devices and i had to really hate to spend more money to 5.0ghz adapters when i just bought the 2.4ghz dongles.

This is on an RT-AC68R. When I connect via SSH with a forwarded port for a SOCKS proxy, the SSH connection immediately drops when I attempt to browse to any site on Chrome via the SOCKS proxy. Connecting to my desktop via VNC over an SSH tunnel seems to work fine and doesn't disconnect it.

I have previously done this on all previous Merlin releases as well as with Tomato on my old RT-N16 without an issue.

I originally had this problem with v14 (first release I have installed), but thought it may be fixed with 14E1 so I waited to report it.

Edit: When I switched from the newer Merlin branch I reset all defaults and restored all settings via the Merlin settings restore script.
Nope, I don't have this problem. I use Chrome x64 with FoxyProxy and connect with:

ssh -A -o ServerAliveInterval=15 admin@IP -D 9999

im chalking up the speed difference to crowded 2.4ghz channel, but its frustrating that just swapping out the modem from SB6121 to SB6183, i lose speed.
First thing to try is to power down both your modem and router for about 30min to force your ISP to reset and learn your new configuration. When powering up, power up the modem first, then after it syncs, power up the router.

Nope, I don't have this problem. I use Chrome x64 with FoxyProxy and connect with:

ssh -A -o ServerAliveInterval=15 admin@IP -D 9999
Thanks for posting. I've been working offline with him and haven't been able to recreate it as well. Investigation continues...

Thank you for the great firmware but Why is in 14E1 JFFS partition enabled by default after a Factory reset? 13E1 it was disabled by default.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great firmware but Why is in 14E1 JFFS partition enabled by default after a Factory reset? 13E1 it was disabled by default.
Primarily to keep consistent with Merlin when I backported the disable running of scripts update. Secondarily, my sense was the most users make use of jffs and it was one less thing to worry about. But, I'm open to differing opinions.....

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!