What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Checked the log, and can confirm about 1 1/2 hours prior openvpn went through it's cycle of reconnecting (I use policy based), so seems some type of disconnect happened as the tunnel dropped, which is a clear indication.
The VPN going up or down won't influence the uptime or WAN timers.....there was a separate event that happened before.
Proceeded to change my port from 22 to something else for ssh. Went uneventful............. until about 2 minutes later, as I was clicking/navigating around in the webui, that the http server seemed to crash, navigated me to the recovery webserver, then rebooted.......
I also run my ssh port on other than the default port with keys without any problem.
I don't understand what you mean by 'navigated to recovery web server'? Do you mean the CFE mini-server???? I don't see any way that it can get there without going into recovery mode with the reset button. If you used the reset button to clear nvram, I'd power off the router and press that button a few times to make sure it's not 'stuck'....it's been known to happen.

What I mean by the VPN tunnel going down is the WAN was seemingly dropped, so the "uptime" was correct as far as I can see.

And yes, the CFE Recovery WebServer is where I was brought to..... then the router crashed and rebooted. Was going to take a screenshot to show you, but though naw, he will know what I am talking about.

And no, it's not something silly like a sticking power button on the router.... but thanks o_O The power button has been pressed as many times as I can count on 1 hand since it went into commission, and it was not pressed since last night, that's for sure. So not the issue... and no, nvram was not reset. Just a pure upgrade last night, and a simple change ssh port this am.

Just letting you know, latest beta, I am seeing events I have never seen before. Dropped back for now.........

And no, it's not something silly like a sticking power button on the router.
Not the power button....the reset button. That's the only way I know of to get to the mini-server.

EDIT: Just for the record....I've actually been running versions of the Beta for about a month now on both the AC68 and N66, and never saw anything like you describe.

Regardless, the router is static and I am not pressing the power or reset buttons. Reset on the router has not been pressed since I owned it I believe....

I am just reporting, like I opened with " Obligated to report ".

That's the point of of releasing a Beta firmware right? To field test it, I am reporting back that I had some issues with it and reverted back. Not trying to give the impression I am pressing reset buttons, or reporting something silly and self inflicted. I have been around too long to waste time on that.

Anyways, reverted back.

That's the point of of releasing a Beta firmware right? To field test it, I am reporting back that I had some issues with it and reverted back. Not trying to give the impression I am pressing reset buttons, or reporting something silly and self inflicted. I have been around too long to waste time on that.

Anyways, reverted back.
I was just pointing out that AFAIK, the only way to get to the CFE mini-webserver is via a hardware action (pressing the reset button) to interrupt the boot process. If I were you, I would use compressed air to blow out the router (they can accumulate a lot of dust) and exercise the reset button a few times to make sure it's clear.

:( John......

I'll just brush it off and excuse it as me doing something dumb like pressing the reset button while actively using the router (though I have never pressed it, so not sure why we are stuck on this? Too coincidental to happen less than 24 hour after a new build)..... No worries ;)

Last edited:
(Although it probably won't be an issue unless you're doing a clean install of an Enterprise or Education edition ;))

There 's still one minor fallout from the above on Win 10 Home and Professional, where they are just disabling the SMB1 server on new installs (at least for now). The router networkmap code makes an SMB call to help identify the attached clients. Guess what it uses.....SMB1. So, the clients in the networkmap display no longer get the PC icon on my fork when SMB1 server is disabled.

@RMerlin - If you talk to the ASUS folks, you might mention they need to update networkmap to use SMB2....looks like it's still the same on the latest builds.

John, just wanted to let you know I went ahead and did a full nvram reset, flashed back to your beta, and set everything up by hand. Will update you if something eventful happens again. (In a less grumbly way)

I get the suspicion that something was fubar in my nvram space after the update to the beta build. The reason I say that is when issuing an nvram erase && reboot from the OS, I got swung back into the CFE recovery server AGAIN!!! From the recovery server, I clicked restore nvram, then rebooted. Once back up, I factory reset again for good measure from the webui, THEN, upgraded to your beta! After the upgrade, again another reset from the webui for good measure, then a reconfig from hand, and here I am........ (Used your nvram tool to make a backup once done, so thanks again for that guy)

After moving my sshd pub key and my vpn ca to jffs, I am at %64 used.

Last edited:
How timely. :)

Latest Windows 10 Insider build pulls the trigger on crappy SMB1

(Although it probably won't be an issue unless you're doing a clean install of an Enterprise or Education edition ;))
Register is on fire today, you see large parts of windows 10's source code leaking online? https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/23/windows_10_leak

"The leaked code is Microsoft's Shared Source Kit: according to people who have seen its contents, it includes the source to the base Windows 10 hardware drivers plus Redmond's PnP code, its USB and Wi-Fi stacks, its storage drivers, and ARM-specific OneCore kernel code."

Just an update on the Xbox situation.. I was having a NAT issue on the second box a bit ago and when I checked the status page I saw that at some point, my second box lost its assignment and both are given to the first.

wTxFsC7.png

Also, there was a piece of info I came across earlier today and I just wanted to see what people here thought:

So doing some research on the Lede forums /r/openwrt and the miniupnp authors forums I have come to the determination that the Xbox One is incompatible with IGDv2. This is why they are unable to request the port needed (looking at you Linksys WRT routers) or multiple Xboxes are unable to request an alternate port. I am currently compiling a version of miniupnpd that is IGDv1 and will try that. From what I read this works for anyone else that has tried it. I am currently using a Netgear R7800 that does work with the stock firmware, but with the requirements of my network I need to use LEDE. I will report back if everything works. If one of the Xbox Devs can report back and see if there is something they can work on their end and push to an Alpha build for all to test with IGDv2 that would be great. Thanks

---

Ok, so here is the status update everyone has been waiting for. After compiling miniupnpd with the IGDv2 activation patch removed, hence only allowing the protocol IGDv1; My Xboxes are now connecting with open NAT on all 3 at the same time. They ones that cannot use the "official" Xbox port because traffic cannot flow to two clients at the same time on one port are now using alternate ports to connect to Microsoft.

Windows itself is incompatible with IGDv2. This is something I discussed with the miniupnp author on GitHub about two years ago. Asuswrt doesn't enable that because of this.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Just an update on the Xbox situation.. I was having a NAT issue on the second box a bit ago and when I checked the status page I saw that at some point, my second box lost its assignment and both are given to the first.
Do you know if this is a change in behavior vs the previous releases? I had deliberately held off on doing the miniupnpd update because anecdotally it seemed as if the later version had some occasional problems (but seemed as if it quieted down a bit recently, so the update).

Do you know if this is a change in behavior vs the previous releases? I had deliberately held off on doing the miniupnpd update because anecdotally it seemed as if the later version had some occasional problems (but seemed as if it quieted down a bit recently, so the update).
I hadn't had that specific issue before. It is a long story with these consoles but the short version is that they only fully renegotiate the port mapping if they cold boot, they don't do it on a warm boot. So typically box 2 (10.1.1.142) tends to get and keep port 3074 because it's constantly on, more or less. And the other box gets whatever random port when it cold boots.

Anyway, one thing I used to be able to do was to "flush" those port mappings on the router by restarting the firewall and then restarting the consoles. Yesterday when I tried to do that, restarting upnp and/or firewall wouldn't release the settings (3074 and whatever else assigned to box 1, nothing assigning to box 2), which I'm reasonably sure is new behavior with v26. I had to fully reboot the router to get everything reset properly, though that did sort it out and it has been ok since.

Anyway, one thing I used to be able to do was to "flush" those port mappings on the router by restarting the firewall and then restarting the consoles. Yesterday when I tried to do that, restarting upnp and/or firewall wouldn't release the settings (3074 and whatever else assigned to box 1, nothing assigning to box 2), which I'm reasonably sure is new behavior with v26. I had to fully reboot the router to get everything reset properly, though that did sort it out and it has been ok since.
This one I can probably explain. Part of the miniupnpd 2.0 port enabled the leases file for upnp (that's how we get the names and time remaining for the upnp forwards). So, just restarting miniupnpd will restore the existing leases. I'll see about adding an option to 'flush' the existing leases.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I have an ASUS RT-N16 and I'm willing to give this release a try, I wonder if it has VLAN Support so I can set VLAN ID from 100 to 105 at least, is it possible?

Thank you!

Hi, John

Is it possible to backport NAT speed from Merlin's 380.67?
http://192.168.197.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp
I have N66U and 1Gbit WAN from my ISP.
When using your firmware I get 210-230Mbit on download.
But using latest Merlin firmware I get 800-900Mbit WAN speed and loose TXpower, so my WiFi barely works in far corners of a house.

So I have to choose, either fullspeed internet by LAN or good WiFi signal, never both :(

You should be able to get those speeds provided that you haven't disabled Hardware Acceleration. Check its status at Tools > System Information > HW acceleration
@stalker780
What Colin said....

Make sure you don't have QoS (either Traditional or Bandwidth Limiter) enabled, per IP traffic monitoring enabled, an IPTV profile enabled or a USB modem attached. Any of these will disable HW/NAT Acceleration.