What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AP:

"DNS Server1" contains all 3 ip's (you see start of 8.8.8.8, should contain only 195.130.130.9)
"DNS Server2" contains nothing (should contain 8.8.8.8)

Here is label highlighted to show all 3 ip's

internet router:

Win 10 machine splits the 3 ip's:
Everything works for this machine

Attachments

• nok2.PNG
    nok2.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 530
  • nok.png
    nok.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 523
  • dns.PNG
    dns.PNG
    45.1 KB · Views: 560
  • win.PNG
    win.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 543
  • ap.PNG
    ap.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
"DNS Server1" contains all 3 ip's (you see start of 8.8.8.8, should contain only 195.130.130.9)
"DNS Server2" contains nothing (should contain 8.8.8.8)
As you have set "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" to "Yes" where do you propose that the third IP address be shown?

As you have set "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" to "Yes" where do you propose that the third IP address be shown?

Just don't show it, if both first are filled in correctly, you're sure it works.

"DNS Server1" and "DNS Server2" both reference to 1 server, otherwise it should be 'DNS ServerS'

Now I think this is a bug.

It's a quirk of how they handle servers entered on the LAN page vs the WAN page and has always been this way (You should really be entering the servers on the WAN page and leave the LAN DNS entries blank to take advantage of dnsmasq caching). Speculating, the thinking may have been that the only time this option would be used is if you were running your own DNS server, and then there would only be a single entry. Only thing I can think of). I can change it, but I need to make sure they didn't do it this way for another reason.

I just moved over to John's fork over the weekend, after a very long time on the Merlin branch (RT-AC68P). Full NVRAM reset, full wipe of jffs, clean installation...but, I seem to have an odd issue of the SSH radio button on the Administration, System page not "sticking" to either on or off: I can set it to on, and it will work for a period of time, but if I make any other configuration changes (or reboot the router), it will revert to a state where neither the on or off radio buttons are ticked, and SSH will effectively be turned off.
Is this a feature, or a bug in this release? Is is due to enabling the two other checkbox/radio buttons that imply extra protection against SSH brute force attacks (found those two in distinctly different screens).

@jsbeddow That's very strange and definitely not normal. Can you check that you've not run out of space in NVRAM (Tools > System Information > Internal Storage)?

Have you tried using a different browser or PC?

Last edited:
I am not home to check right now, but will look into those possibilities tonight. I was using a Dev/Beta build of Firefox, will try again from Chrome later (and check NVRAM space). Thanks.

Full NVRAM reset, full wipe of jffs, clean installation
the SSH radio button on the Administration, System page not "sticking" to either on or off
If the nvram space looks OK (you need about 4K minimum free)...I'd try reflashing, another reset and a manual reconfigure (don't load a backup from Merlin onto the fork).

The ssh nvram var is handled differently between Merlin and this fork, and it's almost as if you have a mix of both versions.

Thanks @john9527, will check those out as well, although I dread spending another hour or so starting over from scratch (the rest of the family grumbles and wonders what the h### is needed now, and why the internet is down again). I already did this twice over the weekend, as the first time I had tried just importing the jffs backup over, not the main config (I knew better than to try that), but had all sorts of problems with QOS not working, as I had forgotten to uninstall the @FreshJR adaptive QOS scripts off before the migration. Last nights full config from scratch seems good otherwise, just the odd SSH issue to hunt down now. Will report back later.

Hey there,

Got An N66U that I run in AP mode that I just updated from 34 to 36e4 and I'm noticing now that the IP addresses of the wireless clients only show dashes. Rebooted the whole network and it still shows this way so just giving you a heads up as it is fine on 34. Also it only shows the mac and not the client name.... which has been like this for ages.. Seems it has a hard time finding all the names of devices in AP mode and the ones it does fine never get the name in other sections as this one.

N66U.JPG

@Futuristic I know you said that you had rebooted the "whole network" but did that include powering off/on the clients?

No I didn't go that far, but I've been running this fork since the very beginning and never noticed this behavior before after an update. Powering down everything is a bit an ordeal as there are many devices in the house with people attached to them and you know how people get when you want to reboot the router... It ain't pretty at my house, lol..

Maybe someone else can test that and confirm?

Got An N66U that I run in AP mode that I just updated from 34 to 36e4 and I'm noticing now that the IP addresses of the wireless clients only show dashes. Rebooted the whole network and it still shows this way so just giving you a heads up as it is fine on 34. Also it only shows the mac and not the client name.... which has been like this for ages.
Sorry to have to tell you this, but you never got client names in AP mode (it needs access to the dnsmasq leases file which only exists on the parent router).

As far as the ip address goes, I just testedc on 33E7 and 36E4 and in both cases the ip address was filled in correctly).

Sorry to have to tell you this, but you never got client names in AP mode (it needs access to the dnsmasq leases file which only exists on the parent router).

As far as the ip address goes, I just testedc on 33E7 and 36E4 and in both cases the ip address was filled in correctly).

What are you sorry about? Actually, I do get client names, but some of them just show as mac addresses. A refresh will screw it all up though.

Client-names.JPG

Actually, I do get client names, but some of them just show as mac addresses. A refresh will screw it all up though.
That's under networkmap (which does a lot more work to try and figure out what it can about the clients) as opposed to the wireless log (which won't get client names). If you hit refresh on networkmap, make sure you give it enough time to finish. It can take around 5 minutes to finish the refresh.

I'm currently running v33E7 on my RT-N66U.

Bit confused if I should upgrade to v36E4 because of the OpenVPN issues I read about?
Really need to have OpenVPN to run reliable, which it does on v33E7.
(Edit: Using certificates to login.)

Any advice please?

Last edited:
I switched from Merlin to 36E4 and everything seems to work fine.
Thank you John.

PS: I hope the new DDNS Feature will make it to this fork, I could really use it cause I am double NATed.

I switched from Merlin to 36E4 and everything seems to work fine.

I suppose no one else is getting the odd behavoir of the SSH button not "sticking", as I described in my post yesterday. I did spend some more time on it last night, with no success. Plenty of space in NVRAM, tried from Chrome instead of Firefox, etc...no luck, except it does seem to only manifest itself after completing the installation of Diversion and Skynet. I will try one more time in a few days to clear everything, including reformatting my USB drive, and start completely fresh. This was after already trying a reflash of the firmware, leaving the config in place but clearing jffs. SSH access button was stable at that point, but upon reinstall of add-ons, it went back to wonky (neither on or off showing on SSH radio buttons, but SSH effectively turned off). Even though this was with a new fresh install from scratch of Diversion (not using the option to reinstall based on previous setup), could there be some file remaining on the USB drive that is doing this?

Even though this was with a new fresh install from scratch of Diversion (not using the option to reinstall based on previous setup), could there be some file remaining on the USB drive that is doing this?
That would be a question you'd have to ask in the Diversion thread really.