What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@GNUton After a reboot and 10 min pass this is my memory.. will link again in about 8 hours. P.s did you read all the above posts. Did not merg messages as was at different times.
Removed pics as was for a older beta

Last edited:
@GNUton after 8 hours it's now 153, also noticed a problem with port fwd see pictures

Removed pics as was for a older beta

Last edited:
G.INP solves errors such as impulse noise, vectoring combats crosstalk, different problems and they can be used together so I wouldn't say alternative was quite the right term ( one example source https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm )
I was getting at, my g vector is disabled by BT as its not been installed, so would disable in router setting.

Thanks @TrebleTA for testing. I will check better these things.
LEDs btw are working. can you tell me how to reproduce the bug?
Will report later today RL stuff at mo so not at home.
Also I had a power cut yesterday so router got reset. Yet something is eating the memory, will report once it's been on 24 hrs, but it's looking like 3mb a hour its eating

@GNUton The memory issule I think is down to the above port forwarding issule, 300 connections all the same and increasing, after 15 hours the memory free is now 142mb.

The LEDs are not comming back on I re-tried. Go to web ui, admin disable LED, wait they go out go to web ui, admin enable LED nothing happens.
Only other thing I can think of is I use the mobile app to change the default style and colour.
Copy of the log when I disable then enable.
Code:
Jul  9 15:09:15 rc_service: httpds 2099:notify_rc restart_time;restart_leds;restart_usb_idle;restart_firewall;
Jul  9 15:09:15 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart time)
Jul  9 15:09:15 ntpd: Stopped ntpd
Jul  9 15:09:15 dropbear[2887]: Early exit: Terminated by signal
Jul  9 15:09:15 syslogd exiting
Jul  9 15:09:15 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
Jul  9 15:09:15 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2022-07-02 14:11:19 UTC)
Jul  9 15:09:15 dropbear[14420]: Running in background
Jul  9 15:09:15 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart leds)
Jul  9 15:09:15 hour_monitor: daemon is starting
Jul  9 15:09:15 hour_monitor: daemon terminates
Jul  9 15:09:15 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart usb_idle)
Jul  9 15:09:15 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart firewall)
Jul  9 15:09:35 rc_service: httpds 2099:notify_rc restart_time;restart_leds;restart_usb_idle;restart_firewall;
Jul  9 15:09:35 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart time)
Jul  9 15:09:35 ntpd: Stopped ntpd
Jul  9 15:09:35 dropbear[14420]: Early exit: Terminated by signal
Jul  9 15:09:35 syslogd exiting
Jul  9 15:09:35 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
Jul  9 15:09:35 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2022-07-02 14:11:19 UTC)
Jul  9 15:09:35 dropbear[14596]: Running in background
Jul  9 15:09:35 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart leds)
Jul  9 15:09:36 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart usb_idle)
Jul  9 15:09:36 hour_monitor: daemon is starting
Jul  9 15:09:36 hour_monitor: daemon terminates
Jul  9 15:09:36 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart firewall)
As notice restarting led also restarts usb and firewall, yet dont see why.
Only way to restore LED is rebooting.

Also notice a Dns issule with VPN, I disabled VPN yet my VPN dns is in the list of dns when doing a leak check including the dns over tls

P.s let me know if you need more info else I will go back to the stable soon

Last edited:
@TrebleTA I see custom scripts in the logs and those can be giving issues, said that.

For me the leds work flawlessly. I can disable, logout and then get in back to the UI, re-enable them back and in about 4 secs after pushing the buttons they start again.. it works like a charm for me.
If you have a more specific procedure to reproduce this please let me know.

The memory is pretty much stable around and it flullutates in the range 150-140 MB free for me, which fine. Does it get much lower than that for you?
If it eats 3 MB per hour your router won't run for more than 2 days in a row without getting unstable.
If you wann test that please go ahead.
I have have been running this firmware on my main DSL-AX82U for much longer then 2 days and the stability was pretty much fine for me.

Last edited:
@GNUton I am not running any scripts you have not provided, I have SSH enabled lan only with custom port, that's to use top, And I run amtm yet never installed anything just set the look of amtm.
All I do is flash the beta fw then restore defaults, then format and Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs.(this was to use top) I get the led problem with the above errors, you say I'm running scripts maybe defaults. this is makeing me crazy now.
The LEDs do not come back on. I go in to web ui disable leds then click apply they turn off, then I click enable then click apply and nothing happen!!!!!!
Plus all the above errors I've found hope your taking note, I have also found another.
Code:
Jul 10 01:54:12 kernel: [ 4999.035252]  *** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=https://192.168.20.5:1976/blocking.asp?cat_id=11&mac=44916043495B&domain=www.888sport.com
Jul 10 01:54:12 kernel: [ 4999.035252]
Use the mobile app and set up a teen profile then go to 888.com a gamble site I get the above error in the logs, and web page is incorrectly displayed when blocked.

Memory wise please read all the posts lowest it's been after 16hrs was about 124mb.
I even provided screen shots etc.

I will make a video again of the leds, after a factory rest, not using any scripts or changing any settings but the led. Defaults everything else and see....

Last edited:
Hello,

I have been following this thread for more than a week and I decided to register on this forum in order to provide a feedback other than TrebleTA's, since he seems to be the only person testing betas, and also there are two cases, one where GNUton's LED is working and one where TrebleTA's isn't also with memory leak.

This is to provide my feedback based on the Beta 2 release.

I have a DSL-AX82U router, I have never modded it before and this is the first time I do such thing.
The below is my input on the Beta 2 build:

- LED works fine even after reboot, and after doing any type of configuration, customizable from both the WebUI and the mobile app (even the management LED from the app works fine)
- There is no memory leak, I have been waiting for more than 12 hours now and my memory doesn't go below 143/144MB. (WIP please wait for my final result, seems like it dropped to 138MB now)
- DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is not there (this is the main reason I wanted to switch to Merlin)
- /TrafficAnalyzer_Statistic.asp page is not entirely broken but have some small HTML/CSS bugs like "cursor hover over button" and "colors" doesn't match the main page from the official build.
- /AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp internet speed result doesn't finish and gives an error with no result on the available test servers (also with the auto option)
- /AiProtection_HomeProtection.asp enabling AiProtection doesn't show a privacy agreement before enabling the option. (this happens on the original build)

DoH is not in the LAN menu or in the DSL menu, there only seem to be DoT (DNS over TLS) am I missing something?

Below are the differences between the original firmware (a) and the Merlin firmware (b)
A
a.PNG

B
b.PNG

Why:
1- installed server certificate in B is different from A (i prefer A's configuration
2- Acccess Type in the "Access restriction list" is only showing "Web UI" & "SSH"... what about Telnet and "(LAN only)" from Image A?

Overall I did not find any advantages of project Merlin over the original firmware (according to my needs), mainly i wanted to switch because of the DoH feature but it seems that it is not there.

Please let me know if you want me to check something before I revert back to original state.
I will reset in two days from now.

(Sorry for the font size, color and bold, i can't seem to be able to fix it after adding the images)

Best regards.

Last edited:
@Regexed Thank you for the feed back.
Question/ test. Can you go to the web Ui Admin then look for disable led and try, not sure if you tried that. For me when I re enable in the web ui, my LEDs do not turn back on. I will be testing more later too.

On the Beta DOH is enabled by default, yet I use DOT, and in the beta options are missing,( was there in last stable)and was told this was from a bad merge. I tested on 1.1.1.1.

When I enabled the AIprotection I can conferm there was no pop up privacy agreement.

Memory wise I had a power cut again there is a problem in my area so they have said. So I've not had the beta run longer than 16 hrs. But lowest mem was about 124mb before a power cut, that resets everything.
The power cuts have messed up my DSL line too, so ive had to get a engineer, there comming monday to check the cabinet. Loss off download 18mb and upload 7mb in speed. :mad:

Will get back once I test the leds more

Last edited:
@Regexed Thank you for the feed back.
Question/ test. Can you go to the web Ui Admin then look for disable led and try, not sure if you tried that. For me when I re enable in the web ui, my LEDs do not turn back on. I will be testing more later too.

On the Beta DOH is enabled by default, yet I use DOT, and in the beta options are missing,( was there in last stable)and was told this was from a bad merge. I tested on 1.1.1.1.

When I enabled the AIprotection I can conferm there was no pop up privacy agreement.

Memory wise I had a power cut again there is a problem in my area so they have said. So I've not had the beta run longer than 16 hrs. But lowest mem was about 124mb before a power cut, that resets everything.
The power cuts have messed up my DSL line too, so ive had to get a engineer, there comming monday to check the cabinet. Loss off download 18mb and upload 7mb in speed. :mad:

Will get back once I test the leds more

No need to test again TrebleTA
I can confirm now, after changing the option in "Administration" > "System" > Disable LEDs on WebUI, the RGB light doesn't turn back ON and also the DSL LED stays off

before this I had normal working RGB and LEDs with the option to change color.
So yes, when you disable LEDs from the web it ruins the LED functionality.
Solution: Use the app to turn off the LEDs option and then turn it back ON then you can normally use RGB

✔️ Also regarding the memory leak, it is confirmed, the free memory space is getting lower and lower by time, just now it reached 135MB and I have the most minimalistic setup with almost all services turned off.

after monitoring the processes, the below are the only processes (with full command syntax) that are using more than 1% of CPU and are consuming the most of the memory space:
roamast
nt_center
dcd -i 3600 -p 43200 -b -d /tmp/bwdpi/
wred -B

I will analyze the above more in a bit and I will report back.

@Regexed Thanks for the update, the idea to the led is to use ssh and merlin's amtm and then put the LEDs to a timer to switch on and off at x time. yet as you confirm the web ui is not enabling the leds so not tried the amtm.

@GNUton I tried from a fresh firmware beta flash then restore defaults and the leds do not turn back on via the web ui. This is a copy of the system logs from just after the restart.
This site will not let me post the logs so will post on github if requested, But turning leds off and on i get the same system log. It also says its trying to restart other services so clearly a problem, as turning off and on gave the same log
May 5 06:08:15 rc_service: httpd 1749:notify_rc restart_time;restart_leds;restart_usb_idle;restart_firewall;

Last edited:
DoH is not in the LAN menu or in the DSL menu, there only seem to be DoT (DNS over TLS) am I missing something?
Asuswrt-Merlin does not support DoH, only DoT.

Asuswrt-Merlin does not support DoH, only DoT.
I should have read the features page on the main website before posting :D some website claimed that Asuswrt-Merlin supports DoH (sorry I can't provide source, I lost the link)

But thank you for confirming!

@Regexed thanks for joinig and giving more feedback! :D and as always kudos to @TrebleTA for giving me a ton of feedback.
I can now reproduce the problem with LEDs. That had been filed here https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/172

@TrebleTA I fixed the CPU Frequency thanks to you reporting, this will be available in the next image I will release.

BTW @TrebleTA @Regexed this is the mem consumptiono of my DSL-AX82U.. always around 140, but willing to getting more from your experience.

Thanks again for testing.

1657487754353.png

By that picture you have cpu sorted, maybe the bug is not in your version.

Also was using vpn and got this error
Jul 10 21:58:11 ovpn-client1[28878]: AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #185218 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

Last edited: