What's new

Getting control of my Home wireless network - a few questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yee

New Around Here
Hello,

TL:DR: I want to configure 3 routers as access points for my network - how do I do that - do I need to unplug them and connect them directly to a PC or what?

I have a home network that was installed in pieces over the years by a combination of myself and a great network guy. It's kind of a spaghetti monstrosity now and i want to get everything under control. I won't bore you with the specifics (yet) but I have some general questions.

My house has 3 floors plus roof (where my office is). On the roof is the Fiber access point, modem, and a Linksys WRT 1900 AC Router. All this works fine.

My PCs are hardwired to the WRT1900 -these all work fine. The wireless from this router works fine.

My house is cat 6 wired and I have a switch on the 2nd floor (1st,2nd, 3rd, roof, - 1st=ground flr). From the roof (entry point) the internet is wired to the switch - from the switch the signal goes to various things on floors 1-3.

On each floor I have a router acting as a wireless access point (ENT-ROOM, GROUND-FLOOR, SECOND-FLOOR).

My question is - if I want to configure these routers/access points - how do I access them.

If I click on them in Win 10 "network" on one of them i get the login screen but when i enter the password it says "unauthorized" (I have factory restored it and am using the correct password).

On the remaining ones they say "webpage not available"

What I want to do is reconfigure them all because now I have a very confusing set of wifi points, all with different names and passwords.

Network map attached.

Regards,

Jack

Attachments

• network map.gif
    network map.gif
    23 KB · Views: 259
If they have AP mode than use it, otherwise turn of DHCP and just plug the LAN port. Make sure you remember the IP and network you give those APs if you need to configure them. Make sure you know the default settings and if it isnt correct than it is likely your ISP has a different default on the router if it was given by your ISP. Usernames and passwords are case sensitive.

Thanks for your reply. I got everything working - I made all four routers go in sequence for IP addresses and gave them all the same SSID and security. Seems to work well now.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!