What's new

Good wireless tweaking guide?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Retailgeek

New Around Here
Can anyone recommend a good guide/article/book on tuning Wi-Fi networks for best performance?

I've never really paid much attention to my home network setup, but I've recently realized I have all sorts of sub-optimal configurations.

Apparently I'm using a number of Cat5 (vs. Cat5e) cables and so am running devices at 100 vs. 1000 MBit. I noticed Windows has setting in the wireless driver that are set on 20MHz only. QOS settings in Router and OS. Wireless Channels. Etc....

I'd love to tweak my setup to optimize performance and reliability, and I don't mind doing some work to learn how to do it. But I haven't found much in the way of good information or guides. Lots of the reviews, etc... here seem to anecdotally reference various settings/mistakes, but are there any good resources you can recommend?

Thanks!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online