What's new

Help/advice needed, two APs with 2.4 and 5 and connectivity issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

obender

Occasional Visitor
I've setup two APs dap-2553 to run one on 2.4 (b/g/n mode) band and another on 5 (a/n mode).
The idea is to connect BG clients to 2.4 and N to 5.
The problem is that 2.4 clients now started experiencing disconnects, basically it looks like 2.4 SSID disappears for a second.

My understanding is that if there are two APs with different bands then cannot possibly interfere with one another.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I am running mine in 2.4Ghz only and have had no problems whatsoever. I dont know what firmware is on it, but I bought it on Amazon.com about 2 months ago and it is whatever firmware came with it that has worked perfect for me - so I never changed it. I will check and report back what version firmware I have.

By the way, even when in different bands be careful to separate the access points physically as far as possible. Minimum of one meter and much more if possible. At the end of the day they are radio transmitters so best to give some space.

Also I'm curious: why bother using this unit for serving only B/G clients on 2.4 ghz band. You can get very good and stable B/G service from a router or wireless access point that is like a third or quarter of the price of this. I would not spend this kind of money for B/G myself - in this product you are basically paying a premium to get fast stable performance in N (particularly 5Ghz N) plus the added customizabliity and features.

last but not least, you maywant to install InSSIDer on your PC and scan to see if anyone else near you is transmitting in the same channels on 2.4 ghz. That could be the issue - in which case you need to move to channel space that is not used by the WiFi signals strongest in your area.

Thanks, I went through the HOW TOs on this site (very helpful) and I think I got 2.4 not to be pretty stable. Proper channel selection helped.

The problem I'm facing now is that on 5GHz band AP looses connection when transferring large amount of data over long time. Basically AP gets flooded and even web GUI stops responding with 500 server error.

It may be that D-Link's choice of suppliers is such that you just can't expect high reliability and design correctness.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!