What's new

Help: Advice on how to improve my wireless network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldozer

New Around Here
English is not my native language but I hope you will understand me anyway.

I have range and speed problems with my current wireless setup and I need advice on how to improve them.

I have broadband via fiber (100 Mbit/s). The network socket (ethernet port in the wall) is located in my closet (red dot - see image link below) and I have connected an AirPort Express (802.11n) straight to the socket in the wall via a short ethernet cable.

In my living room, about 8 meters (26 feet) away from my AirPort Express, I have a Mac Mini (802.11n) (blue dot - see image link below) inside a IKEA PS cabinet (made of steel).

The problem. I only get 9-10 MBit/s. :(

I know steel will make it harder for the Wi-Fi signal to reach the computer, resulting in lower speed, but I really like the style and material of the cabinet so I don't want to exchange it for something else. I don't want to put the computer on top of it. I want it to be inside. Neat and tidy. I hate cables.

How can I improve both the range and speed of my wireless network without buying a new cabinet or using long ethernet cable? I want to use wireless only.

Is it even possible to use wireless N and get close to full speed (100 Mbit/s)?

I like Apples products but I'm open to other brands.

npjJe.png

First, temporarily move the computer to the same room and confirm that the speed is what you seek. Then...

Just too much obstructing the line of sight path - walls, furniture, walls.
Either use HomePNA instead of Wifi - about $75.

Disable the built-in WiFi. Buy a low cost USB WiFi adapter. Buy an 8 ft. USB extension cable (extension not generic USB cable). Use this to elevate the USB WiFi adapter above the furniture and so there is less obstruction.

Try to position the WiFi router so its antennas are not so obstructed.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!