What's new

Help bridge wired clients with Trendnet TEW-633GR

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rajeshh

New Around Here
Hello,
I am using this wireless router in bridge mode, by connecting the WAN port to the lan port of my main router.

The wireless clients connect to this trendnet and can bridge to the main network correctly. However, any device conneted to the lan ports of the trendnet cannot get dhcp etc from the main network, and cannot connect to the internet etc.

I have followed the steps in the doc that ask for the Gateway IP, subnet mask of the main network.

If I just connect the LAN port of the Trendnet to the LAN port of the main router, then other devices connected to the main router cannot see the Trendnet.

I submitted a ticket to the Trendnet support and they eventually said to RMA the device. Any ideas?

p.s: just to test out the device, I set it up as a primary router in which case both wireless and wired clients worked fine...but in my case, I want to use it as a bridge.

Sounds like you were almost there in getting it to work when you had both LAN ports connected. Not entirely certain how this router implements bridge mode, but this method should work if you switch back to default/router mode.

1. *optional* The Trendnet router needs to have a LAN interface (not WAN) IP within the same subnet as the main router (ex: if mainRouter is 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, then the Trendnet needs to be 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0). This is so you can reconfigure the device later without having to configure a client w/ static IP.
2. Disable DHCP on the Trendnet.
3. Connect the two routers using their respective LAN ports.
4. Test using a client connected to the Trendnet. It should get a DHCP lease from the main router.

Sounds like you were almost there in getting it to work when you had both LAN ports connected.
3. Connect the two routers using their respective LAN ports.

But what additional thing do I need to do to make the other wired devices on the main router see the Trendnet?

That's step 1. A successful connection doesn't require other devices to be able to access the configuration of the device, only be able to pass data through it. That's why it was an optional step.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!