What's new

Help - Cannon Printer wont connect to Router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PCBod2015

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to get my Cannon Pixma MG6650 to print Wireless using my Router its a Netgear N300.

I have the correct drivers from Cannon but when i run through the Setup at the end it says it cant find it on the Network.

Cannon told me to go to this link: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...6650.aspx?type=faq&faqdetailid=tcm:14-1193197
but this is not much help since this is the first time i have ever had to set up a Wireless Printer. I am NOT a newbie to PC's. It works fine via a USB. But this was not why i bought it.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of a Step by Step guide to installing a Cannon with a MG6650.

You can do it using enclosed CD with printer connected to USB, follow and answer the questions.
When done unplug USB cable. All other PCs should have printer driver loaded to use the printer.
Or from printer control panel. Start wireless LAN set up. Choose and connect to your network,
when asked enter the passphrase key for security(key in or use WPS). Give fixed IP address to
printer(good idea). Canon has some handy utilities at their web site you can download and use.

You can do it using enclosed CD with printer connected to USB, follow and answer the questions.
When done unplug USB cable. All other PCs should have printer driver loaded to use the printer.
Or from printer control panel. Start wireless LAN set up. Choose and connect to your network,
when asked enter the passphrase key for security(key in or use WPS). Give fixed IP address to
printer(good idea). Canon has some handy utilities at their web site you can download and use.

How do i give the Printer a fixed adress? and do i have to enable Sharing?

Is the problem that the printer won't connect to your wireless network? Or it connects but it doesn't show up when you try to add the printer?

What OS / device are you trying to print from?

How do i give the Printer a fixed adress? and do i have to enable Sharing?
Hmm, Let me put it this way, purpose of network printer is sharing. You can fix IP from printer or from your router. Having a fixed IP for certain device is handy. Always you can ping the IP to check it out. If not, you have to run ipscan or from the router what ip the device is on for the moment. You can benefit from using Canon IJ network tool. Currently I have two WiFi printers; a Canon ip7200 and Brother MFC color laser 4 in 1. Rock solid same as connected with wire. They sleep when not in use, as soon as anyone has something to print, they choose which one and printer wakes up, prints and back to sleep when finished. Power consumption when sleeping is like just couple Watts.

Is the problem that the printer won't connect to your wireless network? Or it connects but it doesn't show up when you try to add the printer?

Its Windows Ten 64 Pro. I go through all the Cannon Setup Programe and it detects the Access Point but when it get to the end of the Setup with the Printers on Network list it is not on it.

I have tried what it says to do if the Setup can't find it clicking Next, Update, Setting printer could not be found on the list. It still will not work.

Windows 10 might be your problem. If the printer successfully connected to your network, you should be able to find its IP address somewhere in its menus.

You can then try to add the printer manually, by stopping the Add a printer search, then clicking "The printer I want isn't listed" option (or its Win 10 equivalent). You should then be able to enter the UNC address, i.e. \\IP_address and see if that finds the printer.

Windows 10 might be your problem. If the printer successfully connected to your network, you should be able to find its IP address somewhere in its menus.

You can then try to add the printer manually, by stopping the Add a printer search, then clicking "The printer I want isn't listed" option (or its Win 10 equivalent). You should then be able to enter the UNC address, i.e. \\IP_address and see if that finds the printer.

how do i find that again?

Cannon said do this:

First please press the HOME button:

1. Select ‘Setup’ and press OK

2. Select ‘Device Settings’ and press OK

3. Select ‘LAN Settings’ and press OK

4. Select ‘WLAN Setup’ and press OK

5. Select other connection methods and select ‘Standard’

6. Select your access point

7. Enter your password and connect

The password is located on the back of your router.

Once you have connected your printer to the wireless network, please download and install the drivers on every computer you would like to use with your printer, select the wireless connection method in order to print wirelessly.

The link for the drivers were sent to you in a previous email.

-------------------------------------------

I go through all the Cannon Setup Programe and it detects the Access Point but when it get to the end of the Setup with the Printers on Network list it is not on it.

I have tried what it says to do if the Setup can't find it clicking Next, Update, Setting printer could not be found on the list. It still will not work.

Sorry, you need more help than I have time to give you.

My basic advice is to NOT use the Canon setup program. Instead, use the touchscreen on the front of the printer to connect it to your router.

Then go to the Windows system and use the Add printer utility there.

Good luck.

Sorry, you need more help than I have time to give you.

My basic advice is to NOT use the Canon setup program. Instead, use the touchscreen on the front of the printer to connect it to your router.

Then go to the Windows system and use the Add printer utility there.

Good luck.

That does not work.

Thanks anyway lol.

Its not supported for my Model.

Is the printer brand new? Then there is enclosed CD, Quick start guide folder and a user manual. Did you set up the WLAN? Canon has very easy straight forward set up procedure.

Is the printer brand new? Then there is enclosed CD, Quick start guide folder and a user manual. Did you set up the WLAN? Canon has very easy straight forward set up procedure.

Yes, i only got it last Sat. I have ran the CD and also downloaded the drivers as Cannon said but it makes no difference. It still wont work. Its going back to Argos this methinks.

Not sure how Canon is, but I've got two HP's, and while setting up over Wireless is supported, the prefered method was to plug into USB, where the setup utility would do the intial scan and attach to the wireless network - one time operation, and it was done...

Once it is set up, I would recommend letting it stay on DHCP, and then do a DHCP address reservation in your Router/AP for that device - my HP's have had issues with static IP's manually assigned on the device itself - the computers would lose track of them...

NOTE - with many embedded wireless devices, make sure that the SSID and WPA2 PW's are plain ASCII- A-Z, a-z, 0-9, no punctuation, no empty spaces

Not sure how Canon is, but I've got two HP's, and while setting up over Wireless is supported, the prefered method was to plug into USB, where the setup utility would do the intial scan and attach to the wireless network - one time operation, and it was done...

Once it is set up, I would recommend letting it stay on DHCP, and then do a DHCP address reservation in your Router/AP for that device - my HP's have had issues with static IP's manually assigned on the device itself - the computers would lose track of them...

NOTE - with many embedded wireless devices, make sure that the SSID and WPA2 PW's are plain ASCII- A-Z, a-z, 0-9, no punctuation, no empty spaces

What is DHCP? I tried it first via the USB way then ran setup, went to change connection method but it does work. it does not show on Network so you cant print.

Yes, i only got it last Sat. I have ran the CD and also downloaded the drivers as Cannon said but it makes no difference. It still wont work. Its going back to Argos this methinks.

Dumb question, have you run ipscan to see if printer is shown? Pinged the printer? Does your printer see the router during set up? I used Canon printers many years. Never had bad experiences. Always worked out of box. Remotely do you set the IP range of the router two narrow? Enough IP addresses to go around for all connecting devices?

What is DHCP? I tried it first via the USB way then ran setup, went to change connection method but it does work. it does not show on Network so you cant print.

Hmmm... I'm thinking you probably need more assistance than I can provide, as I'm not fully aware of how Canon sets up their printers - probably best to reach out to their Customer Care team and go from there.

Cannon said do this:

First please press the HOME button:

1. Select ‘Setup’ and press OK

2. Select ‘Device Settings’ and press OK

3. Select ‘LAN Settings’ and press OK - skip you are setting up WiFi

4. Select ‘WLAN Setup’ and press OK -select this

5. Select other connection methods and select ‘Standard’

6. Select your access point - your SSID?

7. Enter your password and connect - passphrase for security mode ie. WPA2-AES, etc.

The password is located on the back of your router. - this PW is for router login not for WiFi set up.

Once you have connected your printer to the wireless network, please download and install the drivers on every computer you would like to use with your printer, select the wireless connection method in order to print wirelessly. - specify network printer not local printer

The link for the drivers were sent to you in a previous email.

-------------------------------------------

I go through all the Cannon Setup Programe and it detects the Access Point but when it get to the end of the Setup with the Printers on Network list it is not on it.

Dumb question, have you run ipscan to see if printer is shown? Pinged the printer? Does your printer see the router during set up? I used Canon printers many years. Never had bad experiences. Always worked out of box. Remotely do you set the IP range of the router two narrow? Enough IP addresses to go around for all connecting devices?
-------------------------------

I have ran a Program called Advanced IP Scanner. It shows My Router, Network Adapter, Ipad, Cannon Printer the IP's and MAC Address.

When i Ping the Printer from the Program i get: Request Timed Out, Packets Sent = 4 Received = 0 Lost = 4 100% Loss.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!