What's new

[help]Proper Way to setup AP..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Symbiot

Regular Contributor
Hi

I have a Wireless network i Want to extend with an AP.
The ap is a wap4410n.
I've got a cable from router to AP.
The ap is located within range of my existing wireless.

Can I use the same ssid?

What's the correct setup of the wap4410?

The AP should be set to a different channel than your main router/AP. For 2.4 GHz use Channels 1, 6 and 11.

You can use the same SSID. But clients might not associate with the new AP, especially if the range overlaps with the main router. Setting a separate SSID lets you directly connect clients to it.

You can use the same SSID. But clients might not associate with the new AP, especially if the range overlaps with the main router. Setting a separate SSID lets you directly connect clients to it.

To clarify: Many WiFi client devices do not automatically seek and use a different access device (AP, WiFi router) when the signal strength declines but still "works", albeit at a lower data rate that would be had it changed.

So the client's user needs to manually change choices when they move to another room, if the optimal speed is desired. In the device's display of access devices in range, if each access device has a unique SSID, it's obvious to the user. SSID's like "JoeFamRm" or "JoeLivRm" help.

it is also possible to use the same SSID on all, but have all on different channels (1,6,11). The clever user can know that channel 6 is the AP in the family room. This isn't as obvious.

Having all APs on the same channel is fine so long as two heavy use people aren't on the same channel and thus competing for air time. Heavy use means streaming video, etc.

Question SteveCh: My Wifi router has an "auto" channel selector (a basic Belkin). If the AP and the original are both set to "auto" will they likely pick different channels or is this a manual issue?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!