What's new

Help with AC68R + Uverse + Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MakeItWayne

New Around Here
Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having.

Today I purchased the Asus AC68R router to go along with my Uverse 2Wire gateway. The internet is working as planned with the AC68R handling all wireless duties running on DMZ+ mode through the 2Wire.

My issue is with a TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5 port switch in another room with a PS4, Yamaha receiver, and wired Uverse cable box. The switch is hooked up to the first port on the AC68R. Everything seems to be working except for the Uverse box. It gets a live feed for 5-10 seconds and then the signal is lost. It works find if the switch is plugged into the first port of the 2Wire versus the Asus. As far as I can tell the receiver and PS4 are having no issues (no disconnects).

Outside of this issue I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Does anyone have a suggestion to get the cable box going?

Does the switch as well as the AC68R have the appropriate implementation of IGMPv3 snooping to make this work?

I've found not all IGMPv3 snooping is equal, and some equipment that claims to handle it well and correctly in reality only does a half-assed job, and the STB will never function if that's true.

Also, which 2Wire gateway do you have? Huge differences between the 3800 and the 3801, and then again between the 2Wire's and the Motorola NVG589.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having.

Today I purchased the Asus AC68R router to go along with my Uverse 2Wire gateway. The internet is working as planned with the AC68R handling all wireless duties running on DMZ+ mode through the 2Wire.

My issue is with a TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5 port switch in another room with a PS4, Yamaha receiver, and wired Uverse cable box. The switch is hooked up to the first port on the AC68R. Everything seems to be working except for the Uverse box. It gets a live feed for 5-10 seconds and then the signal is lost. It works find if the switch is plugged into the first port of the 2Wire versus the Asus. As far as I can tell the receiver and PS4 are having no issues (no disconnects).

Outside of this issue I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Does anyone have a suggestion to get the cable box going?

You could try setting 'LAN > IPTV' settings with 'Choose IPTV STB Port' as LAN1.

Don't you have to set a particular provider with that IPTV setting? AFAIK, UVerse isn't a listed option.

I think the predefined profile can be set to 'None', might have to experiment with other settings in the 'Special Applications' section though.

Just guessing here, haven't been on U-verse since '09, perhaps others can chime in.

Does the switch as well as the AC68R have the appropriate implementation of IGMPv3 snooping to make this work?

I've found not all IGMPv3 snooping is equal, and some equipment that claims to handle it well and correctly in reality only does a half-assed job, and the STB will never function if that's true.

Also, which 2Wire gateway do you have? Huge differences between the 3800 and the 3801, and then again between the 2Wire's and the Motorola NVG589.

I have the 2Wire 3801 gateway. I thought I was fairly familiar with home networks but IGMPv3 is new to me. I'll have to do some research on it. Are there typically settings for it or is it something hard-coded with the devices?

Edit: No need to answer that. Sorry for being lazy, I just looked into it myself. I hadn't thought to log into the Asus from bed using my tablet. I found the IGMP snooping setting and enabled it. Immediately I saw the client list total in the status jump up. Previously only the Yamaha receiver displayed. In the morning I'll test the Uverse box. It seems promising.

Last edited:

After I found the IGMP setting and enabled it all of those items started showing up under the connection list. The TV unfortunately is still losing its signal.

I think the predefined profile can be set to 'None', might have to experiment with other settings in the 'Special Applications' section though.

Just guessing here, haven't been on U-verse since '09, perhaps others can chime in.

I tried leaving it at 'None' and setting it as LAN1 but I get the following error when trying to apply the changes: "IPTV port number is the same as dual wan LAN port number."

uploadfromtaptalk1391428683895.jpg

Sorry for the small picture. I just left on a business trip and had to use LogMeIn to connect back home to try that config.

Disable 'Dual WAN' if you are not using it (Advanced Settings > WAN> Dual WAN) or move Dual WAN's LAN port to a different one.

Disable 'Dual WAN' if you are not using it (Advanced Settings > WAN> Dual WAN) or move Dual WAN's LAN port to a different one.

Thanks for chiming in. It's already disabled. Even though I've enabled IGMP on the router and not sure my switch supports it. I can find any documentation on it at all.

Today I spoke to AT&T and I'm replacing that wired box with a wireless one like my others. They're waiving the fees too so it's a happy ending.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi,

It sounds like your U-verse box is getting the simulcast feed, but the multicast feed is being blocked by the ASUS, which is why it cuts out after 5 seconds.

When they send you the wireless box, you must use the wireless transmitter that comes with it. Make sure you connect that to one of the ports on the 3801 RG, or you'll probably have the same issue.

Hi,

It sounds like your U-verse box is getting the simulcast feed, but the multicast feed is being blocked by the ASUS, which is why it cuts out after 5 seconds.

When they send you the wireless box, you must use the wireless transmitter that comes with it. Make sure you connect that to one of the ports on the 3801 RG, or you'll probably have the same issue.

Thanks! That's what it's going to look like, the three wireless boxes connecting to the Motorola AP that two of them are already using. All of the Uverse TV hardware will run through the 2Wire gateway. Fine by me, frees up a port on the switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

With the wireless boxes you'll probably have severely degraded performance in the 5 GHz band (since that is what they run on).

With the wireless boxes you'll probably have severely degraded performance in the 5 GHz band (since that is what they run on).

I don't plan on moving them over to the AC68. I already have a wireless IPTV receiver and it's Uverse access point will stay plugged into the 2wire gateway. I'll just connect the new wireless receiver into that AP and I should be set. All other internet connections will run through the AC68.

Everything else has been fantastic so far. The VPN and port forwarding simple and I'm looking forward to trying the NAS functionality soon.

I think you're missing what I'm trying to say. It doesn't matter that you won't run them through the AC68, the boxes run on 802.11n in the same 5 GHz spectrum as 802.11ac. Running 802.11ac clients on your AC68 will probably cause interference with the boxes running off of their own 802.11n WAP because they still use the same spectrum.

Whatever band the WAP uses (either the upper or lower portion of the 5 GHz spectrum), you could run your AC68 in the other band, and that will likely avoid any interference, but I have no idea how the WAP behaves, if it changes bands when it detects interference, etc... ATT isn't a big fan of saying how their hardware operates in general.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!