What's new

Help with Asus RT-AC86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Gadsdon

New Around Here
I have just about to buy an Asus rt-ac68u router but have had feedback that the Vodaphone router cannot be put into bridge mode and as such I will need a ADSL modem as well.

However, it appears that some people have had success when using these two routers together as long as the wifi is turned off on the VP router? Any Ideas?

Does any one have any tips or installation instructions, as I have also read somewhere on these forums that I can get a ASUS DSL RT-AC68U router which does have a modem.

Not sure what route to go down, and the two ASUS routers do look entirely different, even though they have almost the same SN

Anyone know if they are the same? With particular reference to AES-IN -
Cheers and thanks

What are you talking about and which routers do you have now?
In the header you write something about RT-AC86U, in the text RT-AC68U, and an additional Vodaphone router (which), only a router or modemrouter?
And which 2 asus routers do you mean?

Yes, I am just about to buy an Asus rt-ac68u but realised it doesnt have a modem. So I was thinking of buying ASUS DSL RT-AC68U, which does have a modem. What is the difference between these two routers apart from the fact that one has a modem? My thoughts are that the modem one might not be compatible with the merlinWRT??

And

Does anyone have any information on using the Asus rt-ac68u (one without the modem), with the crappy Vodaphone router? I have been told that it cannot be used in bridge mode (as a modem only)

:)

you can use your RT-AC68U router with modem in bridge and router mode, only maybe different mode settings.
As router no need for router mode and double-NAT, you could use in AP-mode.
Or if possible as bridge (only DSL-modem active on Vodafone) you need it in router mode.
Both possible with merlin.
Newer more recommended is RT-AC86U.

Or you change your Vodafone routermodem into a DSL-AC68U, which is quite similar to RT-AC68U but without second USB2.0 port and DSL-port instead of WAN port. And NO Merlin support!
But there are often problems with DSL-part in UK, so I would not recommend to buy it, only if you get one cheap for testing and if ok on your line than fine and use it.
You could use it in router-mode too, then a LAN-port will be defined as WAN port. Other modes (AP, bridge, repeater) think are not supported. Aimesh is supported now.

If newer DSL-AC88U is better for UK I dont know.

More infos about DSL-type you will get on whatsyourrouter.com, have a look in their forum for DSL.

Excellent thanks
I have no idea what AP - mode is or bridge mode or router mode and double nat, but you are right about the newer router, i think that was the one a meant. I have decided to avoid the DSL ones and try to fudge my crappy Vodaphone modem, so it works as a modem. As you said I would like merlin support. Cheers buddy

If I'm understanding things correctly, you have a gateway (combination modem and router in a single unit) from Vodaphone and they do not allow bridge mode which turns off the router side of the gateway and leaves just the modem. If they let you turn off the wireless in the gateway you could use the 68U as an access point (meaning that you turn off router portion of the 68U and just use it for wireless). If you choose to just use the Asus router as an access point I would suggest getting the RT-AC66U_B1 as it is the same as the 68U internally at a lower price point (50 USD less) and uses the exact same firmware as the 68U meaning you could use Merlin's firmware on it. Don't confuse the newer B1 66U with the original 66U.

Thanks

Well as I understand it, they do not allow you to just use the modem, but I might be wrong. I need to be able to use the Asus router as the idea of this is too have a permanent VPN router for all my internet traffic . And the Asus with merlin has all the features i need. If I cant, then i will just buy a cheap modem. As I have the username and password from vodaphone

Cheers

Don't dismiss running your AC68U double NATed behind your ADSL modem. While the conventional wisdom is against double NATed setups, but for most people, double NATing will not cause any problems or issues. It will increase your latency by a very slight amount but so will using a five foot vs two foot jumper cable.

If you want to run a VPN server on the AC68U it won't work in a double NAT setup. If you want to run a VPN client no problems in double NAT.

I run in a double NAT setup and have done so for most of the past six years and it hasn't caused any problems for me. I choose to do this to isolate my IoT devices from my secure network.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!