What's new

Help with DIR-857

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uzumakiqc

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I've been trying to find info on this but can't really get anything online aside from "similar" cases.

I've noticed that everytime my friend comes over with his laptop and we start playing Diablo III, my DIR-857 will eventually start to slow down and to a point where we get CRAZY lag. Ping requests sent to the router will drop packets or return with >2400ms delay only to figure out that I can't even acces the web interface of the router when said problem occurs.

Using Google Chrome I'll get a "resolving host" for about 1-5 mins loading the browser on google.com (but my pings get trough and I can load it in 5 secs with Internet explorer).

Now I'm starting to experience just slow downs in general and feeling like I'm not getting my 180$ worth of "value". Don't get me wrong when it works I get really amazing speeds and the range improved a lot!

My currrent Firmware is at: 1.02, I did the factory reset about 3 times, flashed the firmware again using every browser possible (read on d-link forums that if not done with IE could get messy)

Anyways here's the current setup info:
Dir-857 North American Model (I'm in Canada / Quebec)
ISP: Vidéotron Cable Modem

Wifi setup:
Wireless Band : 2.4GHz Band
Enable Wireless : On
Wireless Network Name : (TEST1)
802.11 Mode : Mixed N,G,B
Enable Auto Channel Scan : On
Wireless Channel : 6
Channel Width : 20/40
Visibility Status : Visible
Security: WPA-Personnal

Wireless Band : 5GHz Band
Enable Wireless : On
Wireless Network Name: (TEST1)
802.11 Mode : Mixed N,A
Enable Auto Channel Scan : On
Wireless Channel : 40
Channel Width : 20/40
Visibility Status : Visible
Security: WPA-Personnal (same key as 2.4)

WISH is off and Traffic Shaping is off too. I notice the router runs hot but not enough to cause problems!

If anyone has any suggestions or experiences the same problems I'd like to get your feedback 'cause I'm running out of options / ideas!

Thanks in advance guys!

When did you buy this router? I'm not trying to insult your choice of product, and I will have full disclosure that I cannot stand D-Link products, but this sounds typical of a D-Link. Their QC in my opinion is extremely poor and they push out poor products with lots of flash on the package (and in the specs) in order to sell. Once you have problems - you're on your own.

If you can return it and get an Asus or a NetGear, I'd recommend that. I have used the NetGear WNDR3700v2, and I must say I'm really happy with that router. Definitely, in my book, I'd purchase it again.

I would stay away from the Linksys products. I used to LOVE Linksys, and that was all I'd recommend. Now, they've cheapened, consolidated, and crapped out in my opinion. They take shortcuts on quality that I cannot understand, so I stay away.

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but maybe it can fix a headache if you can return it.

I agree with the above poster.
Linksys used to be good. Too much competition in consumer WiFi = poor quality. Just like Cable TV - too many channels = crap-TV.

Opinion alert: D-Link has a long history of bad firmware and often bad hardware. Netgear makes good switches, but like the rest, consumer WiFi is just rushed to market from the Asian spot markets (rebranded).

Who then? I can express an opinion, but probably better to not.

The problem is WiFi has become like grocery store produce: Retailers only carry who will fit on the shelf and who gives them the best margins. Not much about quality or rate of returns.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!