What's new

Help with Network so i dont lose my job. PLEASE I BEG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bt701

New Around Here
I am currently at a company that has about 10 cpu's in the office and maybe 4 wireless devices. The Devices include : 6 win7 64 bit machines, 3xp ,3 vista, 1 win764 bit home version.

Previously the network was setup with ATT ADSL and had a server with ms server 2003 with active directory set up and a domain and a vpn. The hardware was a linksys wrt54g( i believe) and a linksys VPN router.

What is needed.

I need the network set up as simple as possible.

Since It is easier to get rid of the server because i dont know how to deal with it and its old and slow. Ive tried. I have decided to have the hard drive of one of the main computers to have accessible files by the other members on the network.( That part of the network isn't even my concern yet.) We recently received uverse and we pay for static IP's. I dont even care if we use these static ip's i just need stuff to be stable. The network is going in and out on random computers. Some times the hardwired will go down and sometimes the wireless will go out while others do not work. For 1 computer i can't even get it on the net and its wired.

Currently the hardware for the network is the motorola nvg510(modem router combo)

I initially wired this to a hub that goes down stairs and feeds to 5 computers and this seems to work fine aside from some instability. Upstairs the instability was worse and i got rid of the hub(a different brand and type of hub)

Also, i have had the problem of chrome to stop working and then i was still able to use mozilla. very weird.

1 of the PC's i can't connect with wire, but i can wirelessly. Most of the domains i thought i set up to workgroup, but i see that they are still set to the old domain anchorstl.com. I can see them all under mycomputer/network

Also, i changed the domain to a workgroup on a computer that used to be on the old domain and now i can't log into this computer.

Any help would be great. I really appreciate it. big time. I just got this job and i know i shouldn't be doing this network , but i really dont have any option because im broke and just out of school . Please Help.

Last edited:
Funny thing... The first thing I thought of when I read the OP was: "Gee, that sounds like either Malware or a Virus on the loose.."

I've had issues like this before on my personal network... I wasted days flipping settings around in my router before it dawned on me to do a virus scan. I wound up finding 2 different machines, each infected with a single virus, different from the other one. Cleaned 'em up and all my problems disappeared.. Well, all but the messed up router settings I'd created...

Not saying this is your issue, but that's where I'd start. Best of luck finding a solution!

sounds like a fake, as no sensible company would hire a new grad and tell him to junk the network, migrate the business' files, etc. Especially without a mentor or consultant.

So it ends up that it wasn't my fault. I called uverse many times and they were telling me that everything on their end was correct. Finally , i got to someone that told me that the designated IP's in the router configuration was incorrect. Also, the default gateway was supposed to ende in .254 instead of .0

Ip passthrough was off and was supposed to be on.

I have the printers networked and everything is running smoothly. I only have 1 issue now.

I am locked out of a computer when i changed to a workgroup and i can't login to the computer and i need to access the files. Help with this portion would be great.

I am locked out of a computer when i changed to a workgroup and i can't login to the computer and i need to access the files. Help with this portion would be great.

you probably need to log with adminstrator priviledge, then right click the folder/files and 'take ownership'.

Then you should be able to re-change the ownership/permissions to whatever you need them to be.

you probably need to log with adminstrator priviledge, then right click the folder/files and 'take ownership'.

Then you should be able to re-change the ownership/permissions to whatever you need them to be.

I don't have any of the information to get logged back in. the dpecific cpu is xp and set where u have to do ctr alt ddel to login. It was previously joined to a domain that isz not up anymore

I don't have any of the information to get logged back in. the dpecific cpu is xp and set where u have to do ctr alt ddel to login. It was previously joined to a domain that isz not up anymore

Well you should still be able to log in to the local PC if you know the local admin username/password.

There should be a dropdown where the domain is, you can change to local pc.

If you have no way to find a working local user/password, then probably your best bet is take the hard drive out of the PC and put into and external USB drive case, copy the data that you need off the hardrive, then put the drive back in the pc and reinstall a new/fresh copy of xp (or whatever version you want).

There are also password recovery software out there if you google for it, but I would not recommend any due the likelyhood of getting a virus or worse.

You need help. Best to break out the online books to help you. If you don't know what your really doing. I don't think this member is faking it. Don't get mixed up take your time.

You need help. Best to break out the online books to help you. If you don't know what your really doing. I don't think this member is faking it. Don't get mixed up take your time.

the network is much more stable. it seems as if att initially didnt put a dsl filter on and hte faxd line was messing stuff up. They then fixed that and then there was another problem. The problem was that they were giving me the incorrect Gateway, ip pass through was off, and hte ip addresses were incorrect. I corrected all of these and things are much much smoother.

However, a lot of the PC's i had hooked up to the previous network so typically when peopel log in to the computer they will be on the DOmAIN. i wanted them to all be part of workgroup, but i dont want to lose or disable the user accounts like i did on the XP computer because i never fully got all of the data back but i got logged in through admin and then changed the password.

Currently everyone can print to 1 printer that is on the network and then under my computer/network/ I can see CPU 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 from most of the computers. I set up 1 computer to be shared. and almost all of hte computers can see this cpu4. i dont know why 2 of them can't see cpu4. I'm using cpu4 as the local place to share files. I've also hooked up a laser printer there so everyone can print to it. It doesnt make sense to me. Any ideas?

ALso, now that there is no server i think i should leave the domain for each of the computers. However im scared of that because i dont want to lose the data. Thanks for your help.

quick ,simple, easy is the goal. Thanks everyone.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!