What's new

Hi, RT-ac87R 5ghz WPS re enables on reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You might try forcing it off manually and see if it sticks....enter the following commands via telnet

Code:
nvram set wps_enable=0
nvram set wps_restart=0
nvram set wl0_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl1_wps_mode=disabled
nvram commit && reboot

You might try forcing it off manually and see if it sticks....enter the following commands via telnet

Code:
nvram set wps_enable=0
nvram set wps_restart=0
nvram set wl0_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl1_wps_mode=disabled
nvram commit && reboot

Thanks for the advice! I i just entered these commands via telnet and i think it all went successfully because it rebooted on the last one. But WPS on 5ghs is still enabled.... grrr:mad:

Im going to exchange it. My first one wasn't so stubborn about keeping this setting. I hope this one is just a fluke...

One last thought....If you have (or have in the past) enabled guest networks, add the following lines to the above before the nvram commit and give it one more try....

Code:
nvram set wl0.1_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl0.2_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl0.3_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl1.1_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl1.2_wps_mode=disabled
nvram set wl1.3_wps_mode=disabled

got another one and same thing. The new one had some problem booting up also??!! it did boot after a reset.

This is actually for my parents house and they are technologically challenged but have AC clients. I ended up buying them a Linksys 1900ac. Muh more spartan GUI but no annoying bugs.

I do hope asus improves the firmware situation because I would love the ac87 for myself....

Thank you for the help everyone!

J

Quick update.

I liked this router so much(rtac87) that i bought one for myself. Aside from minor bugs i love it.

My third ac87 has the wps problem also. Im going to post it in the bugs thread. Hopefully it gets resolved in upcoming updates or as i hear, merlins neat modded firmware.
the wrt1900ac feels like a toy softwarewise, but its easy enoughfor my oldskool dad to tweak common settings.

Thanks Again!

Quick update.

I liked this router so much(rtac87) that i bought one for myself. Aside from minor bugs i love it.

My third ac87 has the wps problem also. Im going to post it in the bugs thread. Hopefully it gets resolved in upcoming updates or as i hear, merlins neat modded firmware.
the wrt1900ac feels like a toy softwarewise, but its easy enoughfor my oldskool dad to tweak common settings.

Thanks Again!

yes, i have to agree with you absolutely regarding the quality of ac87u. its such a wonderful gadget i would say, though it's immature firmware makes it less desirable than wrt1900ac.

hopefully the instability can be resolved soon..

Anyone else care to power cycle their router and check the WPS state if previously off?

I setup my router wired to my computer if it makes any difference. The manual calls for connecting wirelessly, but ive heard firmware updates via wireless are risky.

I use eset smart security and had to exclude its IP address from protorcol filtering to access the setup page.

Hope this info helps find any common variables.

J

May have found a work-around...

I ran into a semi-related variation of this issue on my two RT-AC87R routers trying to set a media bridge. At least I was seeing some of the same behavior and errors posted on this thread. I was getting "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" from Chrome sometimes and the longer "Settings have been updated." text at other times.

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC87R.
To access the settings of RT-AC87R, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

I updated the stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.376_2769 on both routers and still same issue -- or some variation thereof.

I then came across this post regarding a different ASUS router.

User mentioned that in his case, the admin setting "Allow only specified IP address" was enabled and that was the source of his problem. After resetting my device and checking my setting, I was dismayed to see it was disabled. I then took the opposite approach and enabled it. After noting my IP address and adding it to the whitelist, I've not seen the issue since. I did this on both routers, adding the same whitelisted addresses for a few boxes on my network, and then mapped the DHCP reservations to those addresses.

So far, so good. It would "seem" that "Allow only specified IP address" is enabled or gets enabled at some point, regardless of what the setting in the GUI indicates.

Hopefully this is relevant to some of your experiences and can save someone some time out there.

FWIW,

--Matt

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!