What's new

Home network Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J

jednc1

I have a wireless network setup in my house, and it used to meet all my needs. My needs have now changed, I purchased a Sony Blu Ray player with an ethernet connection for downloading firmware updates, or streaming additional DVD related content from the web. I was wondering if it is possible to setup a wireless hub in my den that I could then use to connect my Blu Ray player to my wireless network? In other words cable modem to wireless router to wireless hub to ethernet port on blu ray player.

Sure. You would use a Wireless Ethernet bridge like the Linksys WET54G.

Note that firmware downloads will probably work fine. But you may not get good streaming performance depending on the distance between router and the bridge.

Thanks! Would you recommend powerline as a solution if I'm not satisfied with the performance of streaming video? I've been reading that it may not be any better, again from what I understand it depends on wireless distance.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!