What's new

Hopefully those of you with knowledge can impart some of it upon me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1) inSSIDer shows what channels each network is on. They also have a lovely graph of both channels, SSIDs and signal strength for each network. As pointed out to me recently, and I agree, its less about what networks are on your frequency and more about how often those networks are used...which is difficult to know. The best you can do is set your channel to the one that has the weakest SSIDs. So for example there might 2 networks on channel 1, 2 on channel 5 and one on channel 11, but the channel 5 and 11 networks are at -60dBi and the channel 1 networks are at -80dBi...you'll want to set your's to channel 1 because the competing networks are much weaker there.

2) Your router will not switch between frequencies, your clients will. No, they will NOT sense how congested a channel is. They will switch based on signal strength of YOUR network. If you have a concurrent dual band router, it broadcasts and works on 2.4 and 5GHz at once and the clients decide which one to connect to (you can tweak this in the wifi client driver settings in Windows and on Macs at least).

3) Yes, and if those older adapters are in active use, they'll slow everything else on the network down significantly as your router switches between 802.11b/g/n/ac modes. The perk here is that any of your AC clients are likely on 5GHz only, so nothing on b/g would slow it down...since that is 2.4GHz only...hence the concurrent bit, nothing on 2.4GHz will impact 5GHz at all. Active use I don't mean that, say, your Xbox 360 is on or something, I mean it is actively using the network connection by, say, streaming a movie, or transfering a file or something. A quick webpage load or just sitting their idle occasionally saying "hi, I am here" isn't going to impact Wifi at all.

4) That really depends on their locations relative to the router and also any competing networks. Ideally, yes, but possibly not if they are far from the router or they are far AND there are competing networks. Wiring as much as you can is always a safe bet.

5) It doesn't really. Your router is only as fast as the fastest client and no faster. So if you have a 150Mbps 11n client, a 300Mbps 11n client and a 867Mbps 11ac client all on 5GHz connected to your router, all trying to transfer a file as fast as they can, depending on how the router works out bandwidth allocation, your 150Mbps will get roughly 1/3rd "airtime", the 300Mbps will get 1/3rd air time and the 867Mbps will get 1/3rd air time. Resulting in actual speeds of about 50Mbps, 100Mbps and 232Mbps respectively (minus protocol overheads, signal losses, etc). Current routers are not what are called MU:MIMO, that is Multi User: Multi Input Multi Output. So right now, they can use all of their antennas at once, or some number of them at once, but ONLY for one client at a time. MU:MIMO routers can dedicate some of the antennas to each client. So a 4:4 radio MU:MIMO router with a pair of N300 5GHz clients, could dedicate 2 radios to one client and 2 radios to another client and get a theoretical 300Mbps to each client, no speed reductions. Where as a regular MIMO router would be limited to the 2:2 setup that each client has, using only 2 radios at a time, with the other 2 sitting idle, for 150Mbps per client since they are sharing air time. This is an ideal, I am sure due to physics and wireless being HARD, realistically its going to be more of a penalty than multiple radios usually incurrs, but it should still mean that a 4:4, or 8:4 or 8:8 router can have significantly higher throughput with multiple clients than a single MIMO router can. This is part of the reason why there is no point in "over buying" on a router. If you think you'll never have faster than a 300Mbps 2.4GHz 11n client or a 867Mbps 5Ghz 11ac client in the life time of your router, it is silly to get one that is capable of 450Mbps 2.4GHz or 1300Mbps 5GHz...because you'll never have clients OR a wifi environment in which that full bandwidth can be utilized. Now in a MU:MIMO router, it would possibly make sense. MU:MIMO is in the 11ac specs and it is coming, but its slow to come, because it is difficult to implement. Figure another year or two before we start seeing it in any real kind of way.

6) The WAN port gets plugged in to the modem and goes out to the internet. It is the Wide Area Network port. The LAN ports, yes, are for your local network.

Many have suggested an AP which as I understand it will add another router in an area with weaker signal strength, such as downstairs since the main router is upstairs. I can do this several ways, either via an Ethernet cable(presumably from one of my primary routers Ethernet out ports to one on the secondary router), use MoCA, or even use a wireless extender.

Presumably a direct Ethernet connection would be the best/fastest, and the cables are not all that expensive. However, short of me buying another top of the line router like the Nighthawk AC1900, if I connect say a N300, my speed will only be as fast as the N router, not my AC router?
Also, since my router supposedly has a computer type chip that will prioritize demand and importance of the various demands(i.e. streaming movie of email), if I hook up another router to it, I am guessing those features which the other router does not have get lost?

Many have suggested an AP which as I understand it will add another router in an area with weaker signal strength, such as downstairs since the main router is upstairs. I can do this several ways, either via an Ethernet cable(presumably from one of my primary routers Ethernet out ports to one on the secondary router), use MoCA, or even use a wireless extender.

Presumably a direct Ethernet connection would be the best/fastest, and the cables are not all that expensive. However, short of me buying another top of the line router like the Nighthawk AC1900, if I connect say a N300, my speed will only be as fast as the N router, not my AC router?
Also, since my router supposedly has a computer type chip that will prioritize demand and importance of the various demands(i.e. streaming movie of email), if I hook up another router to it, I am guessing those features which the other router does not have get lost?

Yes, if you need wireless-ac speeds at your AP, then your AP needs to support wireless-ac and wireless-ac speeds. That's why you hear about people buying two wireless-ac routers, one for their main router and one for an AP or bridge for client wireless-ac access. As you say, if you buy a wireless-n AP or bridge, then that's the speed that the clients connected wirelessly to that AP or bridge will get, wireless-n speeds.

Wireless-ac is not cheap, it's a big leap to totally convert your home to it, new routers and clients. And, I should point out if it isn't clear, you're not going to get wireless-ac speeds with a MoCA or powerline networking connection to your AP. You'll need that ethernet cable conecting to your AP for that.

Last edited:
Also those quality of service things are generally only supported on the WAN/Internet connection port, not on wireless itself. All 802.11n supports WMM (its required for 802.11n) which is Wireless MultiMedia. This is more or less wireless QoS. It is very, very basic QoS though, but it is QoS and all 11n routers (or newer) support it.

Just to clarify what RogerSC said, anything connected to the Access Point will connect at that Access Points speed. So if you get a 300Mbps 802.11n access point, that is as fast as any client can connect to it. The speed of the router has nothing to do with what is connected to the access point.

Keep in min though, unless you are getting a 150Mbps router/access point, just about anything 300Mbps or faster, at least resonably close to the router/AP is going to be able to transfer files faster than a 10/100 port can handle, so don't cheap out and get a router/AP that has 10/100 ports, get one with gigabit ports on it.

Unless you don't care about being limited by the speed of the ports. My TP-Link N300 router hits 11.2MB/sec with a wired connection through its 10/100 ports using my laptop, switching over to wireless, I hit 11.2MB/sec over wireless because its limited by the speed of the ports. I connect to my Netgear 3500L router, which is also 300Mbps, but has gigabit ports on it, and I hit 21MB/sec over wireless or 112MB/sec using the wired ports on it. Of course I got that TP-Link router as an outdoor access point where I care more about range than speed and I can connect at 6MB/sec on my tablet in 20MHz mode (my tablet is limited to 150Mbps on 40MHz or 65Mbps on 20MHz) 5ft away from the antennas. It hits 5MB/sec 100ft away at the edge of my yard and that is really all I care about. Can it handle a couple of netflix HD streams or similar level of bandwidth requirements far out from my house...which it can. Indoors I care a lot more about actual file transfer performance...which is why that N300 router with the 10/100 ports will probably stick around for a few years, where as I plan on replacing my N300 router and access point in the next few months with 802.11ac stuff that is at least AC1200.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!