What's new

Firmware version check for RT-AX58U Merlin support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

olofbos-

New Around Here
I need to know if I am going to buy ASUS RT-AX58U, But it has on a sticker on the back: F/W Ver.:V3.0.0.4.384.8601 , Is that a problem? On the merlin page it says RT-AX58U V1. Is that a problem ?

Best regards!

Attachments

• 454161420_1215357296144215_6168641715039125589_n.jpg
    454161420_1215357296144215_6168641715039125589_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 80
What does the rest of the information to the left of what is in the image posted indicate? Does it indicate a hardware version or model number?
F/W Ver.:V3.0.0.4.384.8601 is the stock Asus firmware version number.

PS: Look at the text in the area highlighted:
asus_rt_ax58u.jpg

That the picture... Can you solve..?

Attachments

• 453644428_380959168065145_636501671300390232_n.jpg
    453644428_380959168065145_636501671300390232_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You might find the following helpful.

Good news is, both versions are Broadcom. On the whole, it appears to be very minor improvements for V2 (a little faster, an additional core, 2.5Gb WAN, etc.). That's still no guarantee of compatibility, but I have seen revisions of routers that are a complete change of hardware, vendor, etc (e.g., the D-Link DIR-615 is notorious for this). So if it's any solace, I think the risks of incompatibility are pretty low. And in my experience, I find ASUS routers hard to brick anyway given the built-in recovery mechanisms.

If you actually have access to the router (it would appear so), you can check the internal specs (w/ ssh) for a more accurate/positive accounting of the internals.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo

I haven`t got the router in my hand, it is for sale... so I can`t do as you ask.. Should I buy it or not ?

I really don`t know if I am buying the ASUS router or this one: TP-Link Archer AXE75 AXE5400 Tri-Band WiFi6E Router. It has 6E, so it has 6ghz frequency.. What do you think ? Or should I buy one gaming router ?

Only YOU can judge whether the purchase is worth the risk. It's your money. Perhaps tell them you'll pay the asking price if they provide confirmation about the above. Or else offer a little less to make it worth the risk. Based on current eBay pricing for sold items, the RT-AX58U seems to be around the $50 mark, so we're not talking about a $200-300 (or more) mistake w/ a more modern and capable router. Then again, $50 may be significant to YOU.

That TP-Link looks like a whole 'nother class of router, and considerably more expensive (~$150). Perhaps w/ great features, but you're presently in the Asuswrt-Merlin thread, so I assume that would be your preference. Obviously you'll have to sacrifice that for the TP-Link.

Any router purchase you make is going to come w/ this risk, even NIB. Vendors are free to change the hardware AT WILL, w/o regard to your third-party firmware concerns. It's just part of the process. You weigh the risk vs. reward and decide. Obviously used devices are a little more risky than NIB since sellers can be misleading, or even outright lie. Or they honestly don't have a clue this is of concern for their potential buyers.

Should I buy it or not ?
No one else can answer that, only you can. You haven't indicated your use case for the router. What will it be used for? What devices connected to it? What environment will it be used in? What is the budget? What is the current broadband speed? What other features or options are you looking for? And so on.

That the picture... Can you solve..?

Yes, the router on the picture above is definitely V1. The label firmware version was before V2 was released.

I really don`t know if I am buying the ASUS router or this one: TP-Link Archer AXE75 AXE5400

AXE75 is popular with gamers with VR sets and dedicated 6GHz band to the VR. It's a good router for the price.

What is "NIB" ? I don`t know how much I have for router... I have one ASUS RT-AC68U... That I will sell if I buy another router.

I am going to use it first of all gaming. And little bit of steaming and dl the torrents.. and surfing the web... I am going to buy fiber optics, 1gb transfere... At the end of september. Now I have only mobile, 4g..

Cheers!

Yes, the router on the picture above is definitely V1. The label firmware version was before V2 was released.

AXE75 is popular with gamers with VR sets and dedicated 6GHz band to the VR. It's a good router for the price.
Ok.. so it is V1..

It is a second hand router the AXE75, price is €95..

If you want Asuswrt-Merlin support - get the RT-AX58U.

If you want Wi-Fi 6E tri-band router - get the Archer AXE75.

What is "NIB" ? I don`t know how much I have for router... I have one ASUS RT-AC68U... That I will sell if I buy another router.

NIB = New In Box

The RT-AC68U (which I own as well) isn't worth all that much these days, maybe $30-35. IMO, you'd be better off to keep it and install FreshTomato or DD-WRT and use if for other purposes (AP/VAP, guest/iot network, wireless ethernet bridge, repeater, WISP router, etc.).

I wouldn't buy an RT-AX58U V1 now. It's a 2019 model and from currently Asuswrt-Merlin supported list of routers this model is perhaps the first one to lose Asus support and consecutively Asuswrt-Merlin support. May last a year or two before End-of-Life.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!