What's new

I used the chart and have researched extensively

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scarchelli

New Around Here
I am asking here still, because I don't know if it's worth it to upgrade my current (old) linksys e3200 to either an AC1900 or a AC1750 router. I've read several things saying the bump from 1750 to 1900 is pretty small so if I had a 1750 router already, I likely wouldn't upgrade. But since my old linksys has no AC support at all, and I want to future proof as much as possible, the question stands: should I just get an AC 1900 router? I'm looking at the ASUS ac68u. Or just get the 66u? I have mostly N devices currently on my network, but again, if I wanted to future proof as much as possible, AC support is inevitable.

The ASUS ac87u seems overkill for me (especially the newer ac4200 I read about) and same with the netgear r8000. The older netgear r7000 seems to be a good choice, same with the 6300 (v2), but those are older and I read they are getting close to their EOL. But as far as release dates went, the r7000 came out last year with the ac68u, no? So, if that's the case, I'm looking at the ac87u which came out last week.

If you don't need AC now, keep using what you have. The market continues to move quickly and the trend for new AC products is more expensive with features of little use to most people like you.

The thing is, my wifi is pretty bad for streaming into my living room (25 feet from router in my bedroom) and wifi is almost non existant in the basement. So, i was definitely looking to upgrade. Maybe turn my e3200 into a WAP (if i even need to) or is that not possible with a newer ac router? And i have my router in my bedroom because its hardwired to my laptop and ps3. I use my laptop and ps3 the most by far, so having them hardwired is necessary.

Unless i moved the router into, say, the living room (most central point of the house) and got powerline adapters for my laptop and ps3? Im not very good with this stuff so i dont know if thats even possible. Our family friend set up the current network, my router in my bedroom is connected to my modem thru the floor, and split at the end to connect to the internet (modem) and another regular port (cant remember why we had to do this). My laptop is in another port, and the ps3 another, with one to spare.

Is the wifi bad long range because the cable is split when connecting to the router from the modem?

Jeez, im overwhelmed now.

Moved the e3200 to the basement for today just to see how a router plugs in downstairs vs my room upstairs, wifi works good in the basement now of course but pretty bad in my bedroom. The living room is more or less the same, as are the other two bedrooms (all first floor, above basement). Tomorrow i will get the asus a66u and switch it with the e3200. I will then put the e3200 back in my room as an AP, but the range from the new router should be sufficient enough, it will be nice to rehardwire my ps3 and laptop though, since a cable already runs thru the floor from my room to the router in the basement.

Anyone think i should avoid a two year old router before i order it in 8 hours?

Not sure if you've ordered yet, but if you're thinking about the AC66U, then the AC68U is also worth a look. A bit newer, a bit more powerful, and mature enough that it looks stable. I'd try and run the new unit smack dab in the middle floor of the house, positioned as centrally as possible, and as out in open air and away from obstructions as it can be. That will give you the best possible shot of hitting all areas with as great a signal as possible. Otherwise, if you have to give one area of the house a location bias to reach whatever amount of desired performance, then move the new Asus in that direction, and setup the E3200 as an AP (or repeater, if you can't wire it in) to cover the gap at the opposite end/floor of the house. That should take care of most/all of your issues! :)

Last edited:
Not sure if you've ordered yet, but if you're thinking about the AC66U, then the AC68U is also worth a look. A bit newer, a bit more powerful, and mature enough that it looks stable. I'd try and run the new unit smack dab in the middle floor of the house, positioned as centrally as possible, and as out in open air and away from obstructions as it can be. That will give you the best possible shot of hitting all areas with as great a signal as possible. Otherwise, if you have to give one area of the house a location bias to reach whatever amount of desired performance, then move the new Asus in that direction, and setup the E3200 as an AP (or repeater, if you can't wire it in) to cover the gap at the opposite end/floor of the house. That should take care of most/all of your issues! :)

Haha, i ordered this morning. Thanks tho. And ur advice doesnt fall on deaf ears, i just have to do what u said with the 66 instead of 68. No big deal. I went with the cheaper router because im not gonna be living at home with my parents for much longer so no point in getting a really good router now when ill have to buy a new one soon for my own place. That being said, a $160 router is still really good imo. $40 cheaper than the slightly better 68 and the cheapest ac router (besides 4 cell phones and a microsoft surface [?], nothing is AC YET). My goal is to be on my own by the time new ac clients come into the house (maybe new ipads) so i wanted an ac router for now. The next step down seemed to be a N router and the best was 130. The 56 i think or the netgear 6300. Then the tp link was $100 but the reviews for range werent as good as the 66.

When the 66 arrives tomorrow i will plug it in the basement (central location wouldnt work because we have wired stuff) and put the e3200 back in my room as an ap. Should be good to go then right? Then by the time i move out, i can order a new router with new technology.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!