What's new

IPv6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be safe enough for you. I would be concerned if those sites were not returning stealth for you. To me, that is one more thing you would have to worry about.
Whoever put ipv6 together must have think of the safety of the protocol so I'm sure it is secure so long as you don't open ports without knowing the consequences. It will take time for me to learn enough to be dangerous but I'm willing to educate myself. I want to deal with the why and not with what if?

What bugs are you talking about? IPv6 is a standard from 2017. The latest Asuswrt for AC86U is from 2022.

Might want to walk back your statement about IPv6 being standard in 2017 - it was a lot earlier than that...

No - it's just broken... seriously, it is.

There's a lot of technical debt in AsusWRT - whether it's IPv6 or ARMv8 - and these are things that are out of scope for Eric to fix, as those changes need to come from Asus directly...
I am not sure how you can call short live PE addresses to be a bug. However, I could see the gui not purging the list to be a bug.

Might want to walk back your statement about IPv6 being standard in 2017 - it was a lot earlier than that...

14 July 2017

26 years of development and you are still talking about bugs? Doesn't sound very promising, but please continue...

14 July 2017

26 years of development and you are still talking about bugs? Doesn't sound very promising.
The only bugs I see are in failed firmware level detection mechanisms such as the webui, not so much the ipv6 itself. Still that doesn't mean everyone turn ipv6 on!

Buggy GUI is perhaps one thing. Crashing Trend Micro is another. I have 2x Asus routers only and they show different bugs. This is concerning because I don't know what will happen on a 3rd router model - the popular ARMv7 AC68U and variants, for example. It's not even Asuswrt, but model specific.

Buggy GUI is perhaps one thing. Crashing Trend Micro is another. I have 2x Asus routers only and they show different bugs. This is concerning because I don't know what will happen on a 3rd router model - the popular ARMv7 AC68U and variants, for example. It's not even Asuswrt, but model specific.
Yea trendmicro is definitely a problem child. You see how many issues reported with kernel taints it has.

26 years of development and you are still talking about bugs? Doesn't sound very promising, but please continue...

I've been working on IPv6 for probably 12 of those 26 years for 3GPP, IEEE 802.x, and IETF

What have you done, other than bitch about AsusWRT code not working?

What have you done, other than bitch about AsusWRT code not working?
Look, I don't think anyone is bringing anyone's credentials into question here. Presenting an arguement for discourse is not necessarily a bad thing. After all the goal should be to come up with ideas that benefit all and not just a few.

Three successful businesses running on IPv4 allowing me to retire at the age of 55 and enjoy the Mediterranean sunset. :)
From my own experience, while ipv6 is not for everyone we can both agree on. I do not personally see anything actually broken with it provided the users know what to check for. I think part of the biggest issue that has echoed through these thread pages is- What are the good watch outs for when dealing with ipv6? I think this generally boils down to any other logical good network practices. In your case, this meant leaving ipv6 off, which clearly has worked well for you.

Last edited:
yep - and that has been the goal/target with Ipv6 discussions on AsusWRT...

Raising tide lifts all boats, eh?
While ideas are not all equal, and we may not have to agree with each idea, that doesn't mean everyone doesn't deserve the same level of respect during a civilized discourse. I would strive to treat you with the utmost respect even if I had to agree to disagree on a matter. If that may meant I have to let go of an idea I want to cling onto. So be it.

What are the good watch outs for when dealing with ipv6?

Honestly, for a home router it doesn't matter. Watch for exposed devices and common VPN data leaks, if you know how. You can't learn anything IPv6 by just enabling it and you can't catch and report anything. Even if you do see firmware bugs, they most likely won't be fixed for the life of your router. For a business - completely different story. Flipping one switch may cost a lot, especially if you are tied with service contracts and security certificates.

Honestly, for a home router it doesn't matter. Watch for exposed devices and common VPN data leaks, if you know how. You can't learn anything IPv6 by just enabling it and you can't catch and report anything. Even if you do see firmware bugs, they most likely won't be fixed for the life of your router. For a business - completely different story. Flipping one switch may cost a lot, especially if you are tied with service contracts and security certificates.
For the typical home router, I would say most users would not need to turn on ipv6 or probably shouldn't need to use a VPN. Most your people needing vpns ironically probably could understand enough to learn about ipv6. If enough people who understood the ins and outs of a problem were to report issues then maybe the issues could be fixed. However, here comes Bobby flooding the feedback channel complaining about the colorful lights not going twinkle twinkle on the router. And there are not enough technical knowers reporting the concerning problems. Imagine how @RMerlin feels having to support two webuis now having to hear all the complaints on not having the fancy ROG webui.

Imagine how @RMerlin feels having to support two webuis

Imagine how RMerlin is going to troubleshoot IPv6 on different generations Asus routers without having an IPv6 ISP available and dealing with closed source Asuswrt components. And a common issue is people installing scripts on top of beta firmware and expecting RMerlin to provide answers.

For the typical home router, I would say most users would not need to turn on ipv6

Indeed.

And a common issue is people installing scripts on top of beta firmware and expecting RMerlin to provide answers.

Sounds more like personal problems than a firmware developers problems. He will probably point them in the correct direction to the addons thread which he rightfully should.

Imagine how RMerlin is going to troubleshoot IPv6 on different generations Asus routers without having an IPv6 ISP available and dealing with closed source Asuswrt components.

As for the ipv6 he will probably troubleshoot via tunnel broker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.