What's new

Is it possible to completely remove AIProtection and other Asus bloatware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No.

Yoy could install another firmware. If DD-WRT is supported on the hardware, you could try it. No Asus bloatware on that firmware

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Rather than just have them disabled, can they be completely removed from router?
I found that I was getting zero hits with TrendMicro while using Skynet, so I turned TrendMicro off. Skynet is much more aggressive and doesn't dial the mothership. I doubt that the TrendMicro inactive code takes that much memory, and DD-WRT is also going to be loaded with a bunch of stuff you'll never use as well. My two cents - I'd stick with Merlin.

I found that I was getting zero hits with TrendMicro while using Skynet, so I turned TrendMicro off. Skynet is much more aggressive and doesn't dial the mothership. I doubt that the TrendMicro inactive code takes that much memory, and DD-WRT is also going to be loaded with a bunch of stuff you'll never use as well. My two cents - I'd stick with Merlin.
Skynet wouldn't catch any crypto currency mining, encryption malware and other two way IPS installed on your computers. TrendMicro does, hence the option to turn on IA Protect in Skynet to add malware sites to Skynets blacklist.

Skynet wouldn't catch any crypto currency mining, encryption malware and other two way IPS installed on your computers. TrendMicro does, hence the option to turn on IA Protect in Skynet to add malware sites to Skynets blacklist.
Having a hard time understanding how Skynet is going to enhance TrendMicro's hits if there aren't any. That was my point. I've run them together for weeks and there are no Trendmicro hits. Hard to get data from a 0 byte data log. Also, if you'll remember, Trendmicro got hacked not long ago.

Last edited:
Having a hard time understanding how Skynet is going to enhance TrendMicro's hits if there aren't any. That was my point. I've run them together for weeks and there are no Trendmicro hits. Hard to get data from a 0 byte data log. Also, if you'll remember, Trendmicro got hacked not long ago.
Well, lucky you. One of my router is accessed frequently from devices that temporarily use the internet. You wouldn't believe what Trendmicro has filtered out. People are walking around with compromised phones, notebooks, etc and don't even know it. Just last week I had a guest with a Mac Book that was trying to mine crypto currency. I told him about it and he just said that his virus scanner didn't find anything and he moved on. Probly had a browser add-on that was the coulprit.

Well, lucky you. One of my router is accessed frequently from devices that temporarily use the internet. You wouldn't believe what Trendmicro has filtered out. People are walking around with compromised phones, notebooks, etc and don't even know it. Just last week I had a guest with a Mac Book that was trying to mine crypto currency. I told him about it and he just said that his virus scanner didn't find anything and he moved on. Probly had a browser add-on that was the coulprit.
Whoa! Pretty aggressive post. Do you work for TrendMicro? I'm just stating a fact. When using Skynet (and maybe my Skynet setting are different than yours), I don't get any TrendMicro hits. Who knows why. What works for you, works for you - you do what you need to do.

Whoa! Pretty aggressive post. Do you work for TrendMicro? I'm just stating a fact. When using Skynet (and maybe my Skynet setting are different than yours), I don't get any TrendMicro hits. Who knows why. What works for you, works for you - you do what you need to do.
i have skynet on and the trendmicro stuff still gets occasional hits. so its all good to keep on

Every once in a while someone re-debates this topic. Trend Micro is over all a reputable company. Skynet with AI-Protection is just another layer in the security onion. I wouldn't go without it and the OP is right, we that have it are somewhat spoiled.

Every once in a while someone re-debates this topic. Trend Micro is over all a reputable company. Skynet with AI-Protection is just another layer in the security onion. I wouldn't go without it and the OP is right, we that have it are somewhat spoiled.
Man, you people are touchy. I never said TrendMicro wasn't reputable, I said 1) they got hacked (but so do CitiBank who many would consider reputable), 2) they phone home (but many, many services do), and both of those are facts. pure and simple. Turn it on, turn it off; it's no skin off my back, just don't try to conveniently ignore or obfuscate facts. I've used them for years, but when I noticed the lack of hits, I just wondered why I should continue to burden my hard working CPU. You make your own choice.

Last edited:
I'm also concern: can I trust TrendMicro?
They've got hacked badly, that doesn't seem good for a security firm!
So does TrendMicro knows all the websites I visit, how to prevent that but more importantly... why???
It would be nice to have a pinned discussion with all the facts and explanations exposed for people not tech-savvy like me :)
People keep asking and for good reasons, that EULA is scary and why should we give that much trust to a company? And of course that IPS/IDS is there and we want to use it :)
Thanks

I'm also concern: can I trust TrendMicro?
They've got hacked badly, that doesn't seem good for a security firm!
So does TrendMicro knows all the websites I visit, how to prevent that but more importantly... why???
It would be nice to have a pinned discussion with all the facts and explanations exposed for people not tech-savvy like me :)
People keep asking and for good reasons, that EULA is scary and why should we give that much trust to a company? And of course that IPS/IDS is there and we want to use it :)
Thanks
ALREADY DISCUSSED TO DEATH....SEARCH FOR IT

ALREADY DISCUSSED TO DEATH....SEARCH FOR IT
I did. Wow. I was an agnostic before. Not now. Went to the privacy page and withdrew from both TrendMicro and Alexa/IFFT. Oddly you lose QOS when you do this, but I'm plugged into a managed switch that does QOS, so no biggie. It's one thing to know the ISP does it, and that DNS privacy and a VPN adverts most of that, but there's no way around your router except individual VPNs from clients. Amazing how many Asus features TrendMicro code seems to control.

Last edited:
Oddly you lose QOS when you do this

Not necessarily. Lately I did some experiments with Traditional QoS and it does not use TrendMicro services. It does disable hardware acceleration, but up to 250-300Mbps ISP it doesn't matter on RT-AC86U. Looks like it actually works with some minor tweaking. DSLReports speed test shows B or C bufferbloat with QoS disabled and constant A with QoS enabled.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!