What's new

Is there a reason to buy a AP or is it better to just turn a router into one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Belin

Occasional Visitor
Reading these forums and elsewhere I have noticed that a lot of people just take old wireless routers and make them APs ( to save money).. But I have also noticed that people will buy 2 or 3 of the same wireless router and turn 2 of them into APs.

For example would it be better to just buy 2 WNDR3700s instead of 1 WNDR3700 and 1 WNDAP350?

Especially since the WNDR3700 is listed at $150
and the WNDAP350 is listed at $290
on newegg.com

Is there a major difference between these to as far as them being used as APs?

With me being no expert in networking I do have 1 question. I'm not looking for the fastest router but the most reliable.... (aka a little slower but no powercycles for over a year rather then fastest but it needs to be rebooted once a week)

Ive noticed a lot of bad press with the WNDR3700 and i have seen people talk about Draytech and other routers being rock solid..

This router is for my Fathers Fiber connection and i would prefer to not have to go there once a week to fix it.

What do people here consider the most stable router for a 35/35 fiber connection? (i dont mind if its wired only)

Thanks,
Belin

I've switched from being a Linksys devote' (D-Link, Netgear aside), to Cradlepoint. I use them at work and their firmware is more comprehensive than any other, and very reliable. At home, I just got an MBR-900 (11n/300Mbps) from eBay for $66, used but arrived in new packaging.

I work in the wireless field and chose with high standards.

I've switched from being a Linksys devote' (D-Link, Netgear aside), to Cradlepoint. I use them at work and their firmware is more comprehensive than any other, and very reliable. At home, I just got an MBR-900 (11n/300Mbps) from eBay for $66, used but arrived in new packaging.

Same here, same field, but some higher end Cisco product are not bad for a Corporate Enterprise Environment and some NE have some how managed to get those up in running in there pad (dwelling or hangout) I test network equipment and use what I get. Of course some I have shell out for too. None of these hardware can't last forever. Most of the claims on them are okay but when push comes to shove you see how well they do perform.

Netgear top end one for HOC expensive but still holds strong to TEW-691GR, TEW-673GRU and Belkin N600 MAX <-this one is $89 bucks you get a lot for you money if you need a good AP that's the one to get. The other two are expensive they both pack double the RAM and larger CPU speeds. I just run them since I have them. But they do offer good through-put on the Android Tablet WiFi. You really get to see how well your WiFi is when you have a Android Tablet around. Now that I have 12x here I test and use etc. Most of them uses 802.11n or 802.11g. N300 is really stable just need a good AP for them, otherwise poor signal.

Over 600 Feet of WiFi Range interesting! This high power one. $113 off Buy.com new. STill though it has 10/100 port base. What's your results with this one? Strong 5 bars around your pad (dwelling)?
That deal is gone for that price. Buy.com only one? Can you tell me what the FCC ID so I can check the inners of it?

To me, the chipset inside matters little. There are few chipset vendors.
I like the Cradlepoint firmware. It has every function one could want:

• usual 802.11 stuff: 20/40MHz, WEP/WPA/WPA2
  • traffic shaping/QoS
  • DHCP reservations
  • WiFi client status display w/RSSI
  • WAN port (ethernet). GigE on the MBR900; 100BT on the travel routers
  • NAT
  • WISH
  • WPS
  • User defined DNS servers
  • Port forwarding, triggering, editable easily
  • Integrated support for content filtering via OpenDNS
  • IP and URL blacklisting
  • Inbound AND outbound white listing
  • Dynamic DNS for 10 providers
  • LAN and WAN data stats
  • static routes
  • Fail-over to cellular (if you have a 3G/4G modem plugged in) - even their small travel routers have fail-over.
  • Fail-back (automatic) if wired WAN port resumes
  • good log keeping with option to email log every x hours
  • Syslog interface
  • SNMP interface
  • HTTPS for remote admin
  • option for pinging a designated LAN or WAN host to trigger fail-over
  • 3G Modem support for most all carriers, with aggressive modem-restart
  • 4G support for Clearwire and Sprint so far (WiMax)
  • LTE in the works
  • Built-in user manual/help pages for every menu, in real English
Missing is multiple SSIDs, if that's important.

MBR900 FCC ID SI5WRT383UV2 (this is the $66 product)
Firmware functionality/look/feel identical for all products.
I use the MBR900 at home and many CTR500's in my job.

FCC ID indicates that the product is made by U-Media.

Why the MBR900 vs. the MBR90?

Is traffic shaping both up and down?

To me, the chipset inside matters little. There are few chipset vendors.
I like the Cradlepoint firmware. It has every function one could want:

• usual 802.11 stuff: 20/40MHz, WEP/WPA/WPA2
  • traffic shaping/QoS
  • DHCP reservations
  • WiFi client status display w/RSSI
  • WAN port (ethernet). GigE on the MBR900; 100BT on the travel routers
  • NAT
  • WISH
  • WPS
  • User defined DNS servers
  • Port forwarding, triggering, editable easily
  • Integrated support for content filtering via OpenDNS
  • IP and URL blacklisting
  • Inbound AND outbound white listing
  • Dynamic DNS for 10 providers
  • LAN and WAN data stats
  • static routes
  • Fail-over to cellular (if you have a 3G/4G modem plugged in) - even their small travel routers have fail-over.
  • Fail-back (automatic) if wired WAN port resumes
  • good log keeping with option to email log every x hours
  • Syslog interface
  • SNMP interface
  • HTTPS for remote admin
  • option for pinging a designated LAN or WAN host to trigger fail-over
  • 3G Modem support for most all carriers, with aggressive modem-restart
  • 4G support for Clearwire and Sprint so far (WiMax)
  • LTE in the works
  • Built-in user manual/help pages for every menu, in real English
Missing is multiple SSIDs, if that's important.

MBR900 FCC ID SI5WRT383UV2 (this is the $66 product)
Firmware functionality/look/feel identical for all products.
I use the MBR900 at home and many CTR500's in my job.

Thanks..

Case design is the same as Trendnet TEW-691GR I see who trendnet uses to make the TEW-691GR minus the USB port that's on U-Media version.

Make: U-Media Communications, Inc
Model: U-Media SI5WRT383UV2
NPU: UBICOM IP5100U
WNPU: RT2860T (Ralink)
Controller: RTL8306S (Realtek)

5-port N-way(auto-negotiation) 10/100Mbps fast Ethernet switching hub
2)Store-and-forward switching improves overall network performance
3)Supports full-duplex switching bandwidth modes, allowing data rates of 10, 20 and 100Mbps
4)10/100Mbps auto-sensing and negotiation allows flexibility between network devices
5)Wire-speed forwarding: 148,800pps/100Mbps and 14,880pps/10Mbps
6)High-performance memory bandwidth and expansion bus
7)Supports the spanning tree protocol, eliminating network loops
8)Supports broadcast storm control function
9Supports port trucking and load sharing for high-performance servers and inter-switch links
10Provides a convenient uplink port for cascading hubs
11Auto-partitioning and data collision control
12Auto-polarity detection
13Preamble regeneration and incoming frame retiming
14Low power consumption

I've picked up one of these today I got $10 off the router.. $54 free shipping. Out of the Box let's see if it cover the place with it's 20dBm ERP. Just using it as the P-APNs only not as a Router.
TLWR1043ND 3T/3R SMA so I'll use the 3x 5dBi for and see how it goes. I see the script kiddies over there at DD-WRT of this one Rooted ROM for it.

Last edited:
have a ball.
The feature set of the Cradlepoint products (same for most all products) is quite different than that of Trendnet - and I wanted those offered by the Cradlepoint MBR900, esp. given it's really low cost as above.

have a ball.
The feature set of the Cradlepoint products (same for most all products) is quite different than that of Trendnet - and I wanted those offered by the Cradlepoint MBR900, esp. given it's really low cost as above.

Well now we know who makes it for them and Trendnet. Trendnet version is Gig ports. WiFi doesn't seem to do that well. 673GRU is the worst in WiFi doesn't cover as you think. Both 691GR and 673GRU have the 2.4GHz WiFi set the same. 5G even with their dual band adapter the most I can get is 216mbps connected. Not stable. I'll see how the TP-LINK does if not then I'll fall back on the U-Media / Cradlepoint. Unless another high power wireless router comes out.

On my 9" tablet it has 802.11n and connected to the 673GRU it's really quick that 680MHz CPU and 64MB RAM really speedy. Web pages open up quickly. There is video to show what I mean.

I talk to the Cradlepoint engineers frequently (job). They do their own firmware (in the US!) and I got the impression that the hardware is exclusively theirs, due to the 3G/4G modem slots which most consumer routers don't have.
No doubt they're fab'd offshore, but I think Cradlepoint does the design.

I believe that D-Link and many others just shop Asia for deals in WiFi and put their skin and logo on, but don't control the hardware or firmware design much.

It's hard to see this in the FCC Part 15 self filings - esp. since that whole thing is on the "honor system", with no real FCC verifications done.

The MBR900 is working very well. I have some Cradlepoints that run unattended for weeks/months. They're used for M2M apps.

Last edited:
Looking for Good APs

So Atm I am looking at buying:

Netgear GS724T-300 24 port smart switch

Draytek 2130 (no wireless after reading all the issues people have with all in one wireless routers i think i want something that will just do solid wired routing...) I dont mind paying extra if its stable and solid and doesnt need reboots all the time..... I rather not be buying a new one every 6 months. Originaly I was looking at Netgear WNDR3700 but a lot of people are having problems 3-6 months out.....

Now I need 3-4 APs Any recommendations?
Im not too worried about interference from other devices but i am worried about range and power. 3 floor house with radiant heat and a lot of metal...
I most likely have to put 1 ap on each floor maybe 2 on the first. I dont believe wireless signal will travel well through the floors.
I can probably get away with 2.4 N only APs
Which ones do people here feel have the best Stability with performace second. I dont mind buying routers and making them APs thats fine.

Thanks!
Belin

I can vouch for the D-Link DAP-2553 acces point - one of thes pieces of hardware i have bought in a long time. Rock solid for me in 2.4 ghz use with fast speeds and zero downtime n the couple months I have owned it.

So Atm I am looking at buying:

Netgear GS724T-300 24 port smart switch

Draytek 2130 (no wireless after reading all the issues people have with all in one wireless routers i think i want something that will just do solid wired routing...) I dont mind paying extra if its stable and solid and doesnt need reboots all the time..... I rather not be buying a new one every 6 months. Originaly I was looking at Netgear WNDR3700 but a lot of people are having problems 3-6 months out.....

Now I need 3-4 APs Any recommendations?
Im not too worried about interference from other devices but i am worried about range and power. 3 floor house with radiant heat and a lot of metal...
I most likely have to put 1 ap on each floor maybe 2 on the first. I dont believe wireless signal will travel well through the floors.
I can probably get away with 2.4 N only APs
Which ones do people here feel have the best Stability with performace second. I dont mind buying routers and making them APs thats fine.

Thanks!
Belin

I'd use consumer 11n routers because they'll do the job and 11n dedicated APs are likely 2x or 3x the price. It's a hack, yes, and I wouldn't do it for a professional job.

Fry's used to sell at bottom-shelf Airlink 101. I bought a router, an AP and a bridge. They were not fancy, but they worked well. And they were cheap. Then a Fry's VP got busted for using the Airlink account to embezzle. Look at Airlink 101's web site.
Buffalo Tech (not back in the US) - I used their bridge/AP for 11g. Good. They may have an 11n version.

Last edited:
I'd use consumer 11n routers because they'll do the job and 11n dedicated APs are likely 2x or 3x the price. It's a hack, yes, and I wouldn't do it for a professional job.

Fry's used to sell at bottom-shelf Airlink 101. I bought a router, an AP and a bridge. They were not fancy, but they worked well. And they were cheap. Then a Fry's VP got busted for using the Airlink account to embezzle. Look at Airlink 101's web site.
Buffalo Tech (not back in the US) - I used their bridge/AP for 11g. Good. They may have an 11n version.
Not true - the D-Link I mentioned above is $130, which is actually cheaper than the Netgear 3700 router for example. I'm sure its not the only one.

Taken 14 days to get her from the state of CA. Anyway the TL-WR1043ND is installed and working as APNs. It also has WDS feature too. Shows how each WiFi node is connected by MAC address RX/TX numbers. Still good to see what connects and what doesn't. So the 20dBm ERP with my 5dBi TP-LINK SMA connected to it instead of what it came with was 3Bi TP-LINK SMA.

On the Tablet world the Archos A28, A32, A43, A70, and A101 have issues with Atheros 680MHz which is in the NextGear WNDR3700/AV V1 / V2 also effected is Trendnet TEW-673GRU which uses the same WNPU. Cause the Archos Internet Tablet to disconnect and reconnection. Archos can't get a lock on 802.11n only can work with 802.11g but neither works.

Archos reports using WiFi Buddy for Android shows 103% signal where a PanDigital 9" Tablet shows 110% signal on 802.11n and Maylong M150A10 Tablet shows 103% signal. All 3 tablets the WiFi bar is at peak performance using the TL-WR1043ND. This Gig/N300 with USB networking seems to do a much better job than everything I got here. Shoot if I can get for $50 bucks with free shipping I'll get another one and put in in the garage area. Single down there is about 4 out 5 bars.

Not true - the D-Link I mentioned above is $130, which is actually cheaper than the Netgear 3700 router for example. I'm sure its not the only one.

Well, a $130 whatever WiFi router cum AP is a lot more than a $40 one used as an AP where you don't care about all of its router/WAN features.

Well, a $130 whatever WiFi router cum AP is a lot more than a $40 one used as an AP where you don't care about all of its router/WAN features.
No, you dont care about routing or WAN, but you might care about wireless throughput, stability or features. And 40 buck routers generally dont do so hot on the first two in particular.

Last edited:
No, you dont care about routing or WAN, but you might care about wireless throughput, stability or features. And 40 buck routers generally dont do so hot on the first two in particular.

Perhaps you're right. But as an AP, a re-purposed WiFi router just uses the WiFi radio and the switch, with simple bridging, no routing nor all the other rot in the router and firewall functions. The radios in these WiFi products are all about the same - there are only 5 or so chip vendors.