What's new

ISP has changed its high speed cable plans?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah, I was talking about Comcast here, where due to their not investing in infrastructure, we pay the same as you do for your 50Mbps and get 25Mbps for it. And don't expect to see any fibre this millennium.

Glad Comcast is doing the job for you guys.
I should add that my neighbor, who has Comcast residential Internet service, can barely get 1Mbit/sec downloads on his (allegedly) 3/1 service, and that's when it is working (it goes out multiple times per day). And repair appointments take more than a week.

I was responding mostly to the "I'd be willing to pay Comcast more for better service" post above. My point being that Comcast Business is a completely different beast from Comcast residential service. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You guys up in Canada get burned more than most - the Rogers/Telus/Bell national coverage ratchets up rates for everyone on 3G/4G wireless...

Things are not that bad these days, as there's a lot of competition. Major brands also has a "discount" brand under a different name which do offer pretty decent packages, while sharing more or less the same network, so you get similar coverage.

Rogers has Fido: http://www.fido.ca/, which personally I like (tho I'm not with them these days for different reasons)
Bell has Virgin Mobile
Vidéotron is still local in Quebec, but they are working on purchasing bands in other areas.
We also have Koodo, Public Mobile, Wind Mobile which are smaller providers, but with smaller coverage.

So for mobiles, I think Canada isn't really in a worse position than the US. The recent CRTC decision to prohibit the 3 years contracts providers had been pushing down our throat also helps.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!