What's new

Kamoj Kamoj add-on V5 for Netgear R7800 X4S and R9000 X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Very happy to hear about your success with the latest beta!
Hope the 5.2 beta won't disappoint you.
I think it's more stable than this threads v5.0 beta,
but some things are not yet working for the R9000, hence the delayed release.

About the slow speed:
The same server address does not mean it is the same server.
Many providers have many servers for load balancing using the same address.
But if it consistently slow you might have not so good configuration.
It's a tedious job to tune for each provider.
Please send me the log and .ovpn file as PM (start a new conversation),
and I'll make a short walk-through of it.
But i's far from Toronto to Montreal so you should find a closer server!
Close server is the most important factor I've found.

Kamoj,

your advice was very helpful! I downloaded the 5.2-2beta, installing it as recommended (i.e., first uninstall the previous version). With a bit of fiddling about and redoing the VPN transformation of a PureVPN *.opvn file for Canada (ca2) I got it working. That is the good news. Although PureVPN says the site is in Toronto (I'm north of Toronto) it links to an OpenVPN server in Montreal. With my current router (Linksys EA8500 with most current dd-wrt firmware) and some script tuning from a base down/up connection of about 320/17 Mbps I get OpenVPN performance of 50-70/14-16 Mbps, with a ping of 16-50 ms, depending on the time of day and the test program used.

The bad news is the R7800 at this stage gets, from the same base connect rate and same Montreal server, about 30/16 Mbps with a ping of 50 or more. I tried a New York config file but the performance was even poorer. So, rather than getting about double the EA8500 throughput I'm getting about half, despite the presence of the network accelerator subsystem in the R7800. It may be a few days before I can get back to this. If there is something specific that you might wish to have tested and reported on to help to better understand what is going on and/or some suggestions regardng what "tuning" might be worth while exploring please let me know. Also, if you are interested in the successful R7800 OpenVPN logs and/or the ca2*.opvn file I can forward them to you if you have a recommended way of doing that.

Finally, the 5.2b2-2 addon appears to work well in the relatively short time I spent with it. It sure helps to navigate and extend the firmware GUI!

LSM

First, this is really cool. thanks.

Second, the advanced QoS options don't seem to really ... work... on my R7800.

For instance i can go into QoS Setup. The first thing is I don't see a button for "set up a QoS rule" until AFTER I hit the "apply" button.

Second, if I attempt to enter any value in upstream bandwidth and hit apply I get "qos bandwidth of mbps should be 1 to undefined"

third, if I do manage to create a rule, and enter in some UDP/TCP ports, it doesn't seem to change the name of the 'traffic' in bandwidth on the regular "attached devices" page. i know this one might be a stretch if it would work, but how else would I know if the new QoS rules are working?

finally if I already have a rule, click on setup qos rules, click on an existing one, click edit, and enter in new port numbers, and click apply, I get a "400 bad request" error.

These are not advanced settings?! You talk about "hidden" settings?
Maybe that's why Netgear has hidden these menus?
I don't use QoS myself, so hopefully some other user can help here!

you are correct, not advanced settings... hidden qos setup settings.

makes me wonder if they weren't meant to be used with qualcomm's streamboost.

Reactions: KW.
Hi - in the installations instructions it says "Previously installed Kamoj add-on should be uninstalled before installing new version" .
How does one do this please?

Hi - in the installations instructions it says "Previously installed Kamoj add-on should be uninstalled before installing new version" .

opkg remove kamoj-addon

Also in the beta version of the add-on I added an experimental fix for the data corruption when using WAN port in AP-mode.
If possible you can enable the fix and make a test and report back to me how it is working!
(https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-data-corruption-when-in-accesspoint-mode.54744/#post-507109)

Yes happy to try out the WAN port corruption fix.
FWIW I did search for the deinstallation process but that tiny font spoiler button was too well buried down the page. ;-)

Also in the beta version of the add-on I added an experimental fix for the data corruption when using WAN port in AP-mode.
If possible you can enable the fix and make a test and report back to me how it is working!
(https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-data-corruption-when-in-accesspoint-mode.54744/#post-507109)

OK, I've loaded the add-on (since the AP has no route to the internet, I had to download the .ipk file first to a USB stick and then "cd /mnt/sda1" before installing it)

How do I enable the fix? I can't see any wan/corruption fix settings in the new menus, nor in Release Notes.

Also in the other thread you mention some ethool/ifconfig cmds - do you still want the output of those?

Sorry, but you need to use the 5.2 beta version. I send you PM if you want to try. (Same handling with USB stick then).
OK, I've loaded the add-on (since the AP has no route to the internet, I had to download the .ipk file first to a USB stick and then "cd /mnt/sda1" before installing it)

How do I enable the fix? I can't see any wan/corruption fix settings in the new menus, nor in Release Notes.

Also in the other thread you mention some ethool/ifconfig cmds - do you still want the output of those?

Yes, the 5.0 you are running is even more beta than 5.2 beta though.
It was more of a christmas gift thing...

The 5.2 beta is much more tested.
There is one user reporting problems with check-boxes not working,
and I have not solved his/her problem yet.

Yes, the 5.0 you are running is even more beta than 5.2 beta though.
It was more of a christmas gift thing...

The 5.2 beta is much more tested.
There is one user reporting problems with check-boxes not working,
and I have not solved his/her problem yet.
Hello sir. Is it possible to send me the download link? Thank you

Inviato dal mio Mi 9T Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi,
Can I get a download link also, i like to join the beta testing. Thanks

Hi Kamoj
Love your addon but need the url to your latest beta addons

Best Regards Johannes

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I have a question regarding proxy2 dns. I check your info site and it says proxy2 dns enabled but not started do you have a solution regarding that issue

Best Regards Johannes

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!