What's new

Kinda Confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtl

New Around Here
I am replacing my internet service and will be purchasing a modem and router. Thinking about the Surboard 6120 modem but my bigger issue is the router. Please be aware that I am very new to this. I am connecting my DVD to the router via ethernet to get streaming to my TV (HDMI). I only have two laptops both of which are 802.11 b/g/n and two smartphones which are also b/g/n. However I have a printer that is only b/g but it is only used occasionally. If I understand things the router will down speed to the slowest device, but only if it is receiving a signal (not in sleep mode). I just want a simple solution without overspending for technology that I don't need. My computers are only 20 feet away from the router but not direct line of sight and there is a cement column in the way. Should I get dual band and do you have any other thoughts. I know there is a reluctance to recommend specific products but I sure could use some ideas.
Thanks,
John

I suggest having the ISP provide the modem.

WiFi 20' if there are no really thick masonry walls should be no problem.

My SB6120 died within 9 months; started resetting itself for a few weeks then completely stopped, no power light. Motorola sent me a replacement that turned out to be the SB6121. I was told by reps that the 6121 is the most current model. Performance from both were identical (at least while the first one was working.) So ymmv

As far as WiFi, if it's just a cement column, you shouldn't have issues as long as the column isn't 10 ft wide or something crazy like that. In any case, 5GHz radio waves have an even more difficult time penetrating any physical object than 2.4Ghz waves, and concrete is particularly difficult for either one of them. If you can run cabling to the PCs i would highly recommend it. If no other part of your building is concrete you should be ok, but WDS could help you if you have reception problems.

OP, who will be your new internet service provider? You definitely want to make sure you purchase a modem on their approved list. For instance, here's Comcast's list.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Difference between 6120 and 6121 is the 6121 adds a low pass filter designed to reduce MOCA interference that can affect cable modem performance. Otherwise they have same chipset.

Thanks for the responses.

I meant that I am getting the 6121 modem. I am going from Verizon to Comcast. I have wifi currently and it works fine I just am not sure what would be the most cost effective router, either by brand/model or functionality. I don't want to spend more $ and not get any value on the other hand I don't want to go so cheap that I don't get a good product. As you know there are lots of choices. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!