What's new

latest firmware AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tberius

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

Im new here and i have 2 little questions. Sorry if these seems stupid but things are a little confusing for me.Several days ago (Friday) i bought a new router Asus-AC88U router to replace my antique one edimax br-6574n wich worked great for the past 8 years or such.

I had lots of problems with it:

- 5ghz clients got disconnected after i while they could see 5ghz SSID but coulnt connect. 5 ghz led from router was ok light on

- After upgrading to latest official firmware 5ghz problem stopped but my main computer with PCE-AC68 adapter coulnt see 2ghz anymore. A temp fix was to manualy change to lower channel ( router was all the time on chanel 13)

- -old printer HP 1100 PSC sometimes worked and sometimes dident worked.

I was going to return the router but after reading some topics on this forum i installed RMERLIN firmware.

All the problems gone but the 5ghz coverage seems a little low. I live in a medium house 2 floors router is in the same floor with me different room; from main computer about 3-4 meters 2 thick concrete walls.

On first floor different from router place wich is in the second one i have places where i dont have signal at all.

I get what it seems week signal to my main computer 2,3 from 5 lines. On router wireless log i get -91 dbm noise if this heps.

On my ISP page for checking bandwith i get from 200 mbps to 500mbps on wireless .

Is this normal? Is there any setting to optimize this

Now second question. Which is the latest RMERLIN firmware for this router. I currently have 380.69 . but router keeps informing me ( top right exclamation sign ) that i need to upgrade to 382 or such.

If i go to Administration - Firmware version check – get that i have latest firmware.

This seems very confusing.

If i go to RMERLIN download page i can see that my version 380.69 dates from 12.12.2017 and 382.1_2.zip dates from 02.12.2017.

So wich is the latests version. Wich should i use?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Im new here and i have 2 little questions. Sorry if these seems stupid but things are a little confusing for me.Several days ago (Friday) i bought a new router Asus-AC88U router to replace my antique one edimax br-6574n wich worked great for the past 8 years or such.

I had lots of problems with it:

- 5ghz clients got disconnected after i while they could see 5ghz SSID but coulnt connect. 5 ghz led from router was ok light on

- After upgrading to latest official firmware 5ghz problem stopped but my main computer with PCE-AC68 adapter coulnt see 2ghz anymore. A temp fix was to manualy change to lower channel ( router was all the time on chanel 13)

- -old printer HP 1100 PSC sometimes worked and sometimes dident worked.

I was going to return the router but after reading some topics on this forum i installed RMERLIN firmware.

All the problems gone but the 5ghz coverage seems a little low. I live in a medium house 2 floors router is in the same floor with me different room; from main computer about 3-4 meters 2 thick concrete walls.

On first floor different from router place wich is in the second one i have places where i dont have signal at all.

I get what it seems week signal to my main computer 2,3 from 5 lines. On router wireless log i get -91 dbm noise if this heps.

On my ISP page for checking bandwith i get from 200 mbps to 500mbps on wireless .

Is this normal? Is there any setting to optimize this

Now second question. Which is the latest RMERLIN firmware for this router. I currently have 380.69 . but router keeps informing me ( top right exclamation sign ) that i need to upgrade to 382 or such.

If i go to Administration - Firmware version check – get that i have latest firmware.

This seems very confusing.

If i go to RMERLIN download page i can see that my version 380.69 dates from 12.12.2017 and 382.1_2.zip dates from 02.12.2017.

So wich is the latests version. Wich should i use?

Thanks
Did you reset to factory defaults after installing @RMerlin firmware 380.69? If not I highly recommend it. The latest version is an alpha 2 for the 384 code branch. So latest is 384.3 alpha 2 but it's an alpha build and can display problems. The 382 code is too messed up to continue development. So either stay with what you have or jump into the alpha builds.

Did you reset to factory defaults after installing @RMerlin firmware 380.69? If not I highly recommend it. The latest version is an alpha 2 for the 384 code branch. So latest is 384.3 alpha 2 but it's an alpha build and can display problems. The 382 code is too messed up to continue development. So either stay with what you have or jump into the alpha builds.
i did reset. i preffer stable builds because i dont like problems. thank you for your answer. i guess i will stick with 380.69 for now. what about signal coverege does it is ok? i have only a few days to decide if i keep the router or return it.

i did reset. i preffer stable builds because i dont like problems. thank you for your answer. i guess i will stick with 380.69 for now. what about signal coverege does it is ok? i have only a few days to decide if i keep the router or return it.
Asus routers are known for good wifi strength.

I reffer to my particular case "All the problems gone but the 5ghz coverage seems a little low. I live in a medium house 2 floors router is in the same floor with me different room; from main computer about 3-4 meters 2 thick concrete walls.

Is this normal? Is there any setting to optimize this" :(

5ghz bandwith clients got disconnected again. I can see network but no client can connect. event 1 meter from router

i dont really know what to do. :( :(

Firmware 380.69
Hardware A6

Attachments

• printscreen.jpg
    printscreen.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 679
  • printscreen2.jpg
    printscreen2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
5ghz bandwith clients got disconnected again. I can see network but no client can connect. event 1 meter from router

Firmware 380.69
Hardware A6
Have you tried the alpha 2 offered for your device. I can say to you that it is a very stable build.

RE: RT-AC88U

I too have had some weird issues. Just got the router today, upgraded the ASUS official firmware, then flashed Merlin 382 build, followed by a factory reset.

*The 5ghz network shows up to some devices some of the time, and other devices not at all.
*Wireless survey only shows 2.4ghz devices (linked to above?)

*Various info in logs:
kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!
kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3335] Failed to find app info entry (11-4-132)!

Also in client list many devices show only the MAC address while on old AC3200 the names were present (for most!)

I read above about the alpha builds, I notice that 384 is the latest ASUS official build, and that the sourcecode link appears present. I'll be on the way over to merlins main page, but thought I'd give my views so far.

Also I'd say my 3200 gave a stronger WIFI strength by comparison. Perhaps I should have tried 380 on this before 382.

Router gets warm on the left side, but then it's really cold here in the UK so maybe it just feels that way! Everyone elses the same?

Forgot to mention, one time after clicking to 'guest networks' I got a random page instead which mentioned 'facebook login' - give users who login... etc or something like that... Weirdness, or bugginess?

Chan

Firmware 380.69
Hardware A6
Change the wifi Channel, also try the 80mhz setting for channel width

Anyone else seeing the main page when logged in showing ALL 8 ports as unplugged? (382.1.2 build)

Finding quite a few bugs in this one, just not sure if they're only effecting me, or is it everyone? Should I try 380 or test the official Asus latest? Trying to rule out hardware in case need to send this thing back :(

Not new to Merlin, sitting here with an N66 and an AC3200 as well as the AC88U... Which were bought *because* of this custom firmware. Is there anywhere official to report bugs?

Thanks

My RT-AC88U ports are properly reported here running 384.3 alpha2.

My RT-AC88U ports are properly reported here running 384.3 alpha2.
Thanks Merlin, only ones I could see in your repository were beta and stable. I'll look again.

The 384 alpha branch have any bugs I'd need to know about if using the ac88u in a production environment?

Asus need to take you on board and give you access to some of the closed source stuff.

Where's the best place to report/catalog any bugs etc?

The 384 alpha branch have any bugs I'd need to know about if using the ac88u in a production environment?

As listed here Tracked Issues/Development tags

I share DS-Photos etc. from a couple of Synology NAS, and also experience 'overnight' (as well as after a reboot) this Port Forward bug and also noted that once the Port Forwarding rules are missing, I can't re-add them via the GUI.

However, I posted (to overcome the now restricted NVRAM size/number of Rules limitation) this script
Port Forward Rules

Apart from this, (and using RT-AC68U rather than RT-AC88U) as reported by several other forum members, this Alpha is very stable, and I made an executive decision to use it in my 'production' environment. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Merlin, only ones I could see in your repository were beta and stable. I'll look again.

Asus need to take you on board and give you access to some of the closed source stuff.

Test builds are available on https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/test-builds/ .

I prefer people use the dedicated Preview thread on this forum for bug reports and feedback. The Github trackers are so filled with noise that I rarely look at them anymore, 80% of "reports" are people looking for technical support rather than genuine bug reports. I once disabled it a while back, and am now considering re-disabling it again, for good.

The current alpha build is good enough for me to run on my primary router.

I share DS-Photos etc. from a couple of Synology NAS, and also experience 'overnight' (as well as after a reboot) this Port Forward bug and also noted that once the Port Forwarding rules are missing, I can't re-add them via the GUI.

I have a forwarded port that is used on a regular basis by my accountant to access a resource on my LAN, plus a few other forwarded ports used by a remote server to regularly push backups to my LAN. My router had over 14 days of uptime last time I flashed it with a new test build, and never had any problem related to these forwarded ports.

I have a forwarded port that is used on a regular basis by my accountant to access a resource on my LAN, plus a few other forwarded ports used by a remote server to regularly push backups to my LAN. My router had over 14 days of uptime last time I flashed it with a new test build, and never had any problem related to these forwarded ports.

Where is the 'dedicated preview thread' or is this it for this model?

I've upgraded to the 384.3 alpha 2 branch, Done a factory reset and set things back up.

Points noted so far:
384 bugs also observed on the beta shown with an *

Bug: *One bug I noticed in the beta was a wireless survey only showed 2.4ghz devices - this seems the same on 384

Bug: Client list from main page shows ALL devices as being connected via RJ45

Bug? *Roku Streambox can't pick up the 5ghz network (same on the beta) - Picked up fine on my AC3200 running 380 branch (apparently the roku boxes only like certain channels/ranges?)

Note: Changing wireless name doesn't change until reboot (feature? means can do other tweaks before applying properly)

???: kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!

Anyone else seeing these issues?

Liking the idea of the IFTTT things, but not liking the idea of DDNS or WAN access from outside :/ Your views Eric?

Where is the 'dedicated preview thread' or is this it for this model?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-3-pre-release-test-builds.44060/

Liking the idea of the IFTTT things, but not liking the idea of DDNS or WAN access from outside :/ Your views Eric?

IFTTT does not belong in a security device like a router, and I recommend people stay away from it. Especially as this feature requires the router to expose it's web interface to the WAN.

Hello pps, Sorry for late response but i was busy working these days.

I want to describe the weirdest thing.

After chaging and trying everything few days ago i reflashed router to latest official firmware to prepare to return it. ( i most return it in similar condition i got it).

Yesterday I had to finish some work and i said lets give it a try maybe 1-2 hour will work so i can finish work without using cable.

Now the weird part.

5 ghz still drops. BUT.....

- untill now when 5ghz dropped the only solution to fix it was to reflash bios . No reset from hardware or from software could help.

- now 5 ghz drops only for my main computer wich uses asus pce-68 wifi card. (iphone and nokia phone working fine on 5ghz) (only have 3 devices running on 5ghz : main comp with pce-68u and 2 phones , rest use 2ghz)
this can be fixed by router restarting.
but messing with pce-68 settings i checked one option disable b/g band. Now i can connect to 5ghz fine but i cant see the 2ghz ssid anymore from main comp.

I will reflash to rMerlin latest firmware tonight to see if i have similar behaviour

Hello everyone, I am having issues accessing my ASUS RT AC-88U router's web admin interface after a firmware update. The login interface looks garbled and doesn't load completely. When I tried to use the asus recovery tool I put the router into recovery mode with the LED lights flashing just like instructed but was unable to detect the router recovery mode on my router with the recovery tool. I have WiFi access on all of my connected devices and no matter which device I try to use admin interface is still messed up and won't load completely. Not sure what happened but no matter which browser on windows 10, or Android Oreo, chrome, edge, firefox, cm browser I get the same results, I know I did something wrong but I can't seem to find a way to recover or reflash the firmeware.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!