What's new

Linksys E2000 vs WRT160NL vs D-Link DIR-635

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strainu

New Around Here
Hey,

I'm looking to buy one of those routers for home. I know the E2000 is newer and has gigabit ethernet sw, but it also comes with a 25% premium on price.

My questions are:
1. Is the price premium on the E2000 worth it?
2. Is the USB support really useful? I read that only some external HDDs/sticks work with the 160NL and the DIR-635.
3. How is DD-WRT/openWRT performing on those 3 routers? I've seen reports of throughput increase by using dd-wrt on the DIR-635. Can someone confirm that?

I have no experience with that D Link model but I have used the WRT160N with DD-WRT and it works well. I've also used it with the WRT320N which is the same hardware as the E2000. That one has been a very solid router for me with very good wireless range, overall performance and reliability. Mine is getting close to 1 1/2 years old now without any problems. Keep in mind that the E2000 does not have a USB port.

Hey,

I'm looking to buy one of those routers for home. I know the E2000 is newer and has gigabit ethernet sw, but it also comes with a 25% premium on price.

My questions are:
1. Is the price premium on the E2000 worth it?
2. Is the USB support really useful? I read that only some external HDDs/sticks work with the 160NL and the DIR-635.
3. How is DD-WRT/openWRT performing on those 3 routers? I've seen reports of throughput increase by using dd-wrt on the DIR-635. Can someone confirm that?
external disk on router. Woefully inadequate speed. Usually no NTFS.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!