What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC Firmware Update 1.1.8.164461

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FattysGoneWild

Regular Contributor
No release notes yet or posted on their website. Came through internal updater. All they did was make minor gui changes, bug fixes and added a Wifi Scheduler. Basically a whole lot of nothing in the nearly 5 months since the last major release. Pathetic for a so called "flagship" router. Which I had warned about this earlier in another thread before release. It pales in comparison feature wise to what Asus and Netgear offer. Which a lot is pretty standard that is not in the Linksys firmware. Hardware is beastly and the firmware runs on training wheels. They really messed up big time. No real new features added and no 3rd party firmware support as advertised to this day. On a lighter note. Mine updated just fine.

Last edited:
Fattys,

I see the same rant over at the Linksys forum. When asked both there and here about what features you WANT, you never answer.

I get it that you're upset but why keep dumping on the forums instead of trying to be more constructive.

What is it that the WRT is missing that has you so wound up?

I agree

No release notes yet or posted on their website. Came through internal updater. All they did was make minor gui changes, bug fixes and added a Wifi Scheduler. Basically a whole lot of nothing in the nearly 5 months since the last major release. Pathetic for a so called "flagship" router. Which I had warned about this earlier in another thread before release. It pales in comparison feature wise to what Asus and Netgear offer. Which a lot is pretty standard that is not in the Linksys firmware. Hardware is beastly and the firmware runs on training wheels. They really messed up big time. No real new features added and no 3rd party firmware support as advertised to this day. On a lighter note. Mine updated just fine.

I have to agree. I've been disappointed with the router from day one.
Never mind that they outright lied about it being fully OpernWRT compatible, which was the main reason I bought it, but the stock firmware is an embarrasment to hardware of this caliber (and price).

Since a list of complaints was requested of you, here's my list.

- Like you said, the stock firmware is like training wheels. It's clearly designed for novice home users who clearly aren't the demographic (initially) interested in this device.
- Lack of advanced features.
-- No AP isolation setting FFS. And the router seems to act as if this setting is toggled on and off randomly throuought the day.
-- No VPN client or server. It should have both. At the very least for OpenVPN.
-- No advanced DHCP client setup, including sticky IP's and client reservations outside the dynamic range.
-- No bandwidth management. That prioritize 4 devices nonsense aside.
-- No detailed usage accounting.
-- No decent firewall configuration.
- Stability issues.
-- randomly goes offline for a minute every few days. At least it comes back up on it's own.
-- As mentioned, it seems to act as if it does have an AP isolation setting, which it randomly toggles on and off.
- Performance is mediocre.

I know there's more, but this is off the top of my head.

- Like you said, the stock firmware is like training wheels. It's clearly designed for novice home users who clearly aren't the demographic (initially) interested in this device.

I'm not a novice by any means (I design multimillion-dollar MPLS networks every day) and I'm far from disappointed...

-- No AP isolation setting FFS.

Fair.

And the router seems to act as if this setting is toggled on and off randomly throuought the day.

I've never seen this one time. Saw it continuously with the Netgear R7000, which is how I ended up with the WRT.

-- No VPN client or server. It should have both. At the very least for OpenVPN.

A glaring omission for sure.

-- No advanced DHCP client setup, including sticky IP's and client reservations outside the dynamic range.

There shouldn't ever be client reservations outside of the DHCP scope. Several consumer devices allow reservations outside of the DHCP scope. There aren't any enterprise DHCP servers that work that way to my knowledge. The Linksys way of doing things is the "normal" way, it's the other vendors that have it backwards.

-- No bandwidth management. That prioritize 4 devices nonsense aside.

Bandwidth management/QoS for home networks is an all but useless feature, especially with the bandwidth that is more and more available. Furthermore, several vendors that do include it often suggest it as the first thing to turn off when troubleshooting because it never works.

-- No detailed usage accounting.
-- No decent firewall configuration.

Absolutely.

- Stability issues.
-- randomly goes offline for a minute every few days. At least it comes back up on it's own.

Haven't seen this for months, not since the July firmware update in fact. My router has been rebooted 3 times since mid-July and all of them were initiated by me.

-- As mentioned, it seems to act as if it does have an AP isolation setting, which it randomly toggles on and off.

Again, haven't ever seen this.

- Performance is mediocre.

Compared to what? I tested it head to head with the R7000 and AC68U and it compares favorably in pretty much every area. In several areas, like 5Ghz throughput at long range, it was actually superior.