What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC or Asus RT-AC87u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

epamel

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm new here and live in the netherlands, excuse me to start this topic and not read all the other topics first about the 2 different router models. But i can't find a good answer for my question. Also i have read different reviews about the two types.

I'm in doubt for an new router. Specially for gaming on my PS4 and Xbox One (i have them both). On this moment i own a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk but its not my thing, i have a weak signal and with gaming its lagging the most of time. I try different settings but don't work. My consoles saying that i have an open connection but its too bad. (think of port forwarding, dmz, upnp, nat open etc. but my connection lags). All my devices are hardwired to the router.

Before the Netgear Nighthawk i have owned an Asus N66u that was better then now. But i want a top class router for the next couple of years without switching of brands and types.
I have an 15 mbit down / 2,5 mbit up cable connection with a cisco modem (not a modem router). In my opinion is that enough for lag-free gaming..?

But which one is better the Asus AC87U or the Linksys WRT1900AC?
I know that the Linksys work with chipset of Marvell..

Can somebody tell me what's better Broadcom or Marvell.

Thanks in advance. I'll hope for a reaction!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new here and live in the netherlands, excuse me to start this topic and not read all the other topics first about the 2 different router models. But i can't find a good answer for my question. Also i have read different reviews about the two types.

I'm in doubt for an new router. Specially for gaming on my PS4 and Xbox One (i have them both). On this moment i own a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk but its not my thing, i have a weak signal and with gaming its lagging the most of time. I try different settings but don't work. My consoles saying that i have an open connection but its too bad. (think of port forwarding, dmz, upnp, nat open etc. but my connection lags). All my devices are hardwired to the router.

Before the Netgear Nighthawk i have owned an Asus N66u that was better then now. But i want a top class router for the next couple of years without switching of brands and types.
I have an 15 mbit down / 2,5 mbit up cable connection with a cisco modem (not a modem router). In my opinion is that enough for lag-free gaming..?

But which one is better the Asus AC87U or the Linksys WRT1900AC?
I know that the Linksys work with chipset of Marvell..

Can somebody tell me what's better Broadcom or Marvell.

Thanks in advance. I'll hope for a reaction!

I favour Broadcom over Marvell, simply because Broadcom seems to have more customisability with third-party firmware.

You can't go wrong with either the two of the routers. However, in this scenario I think the WRT1900AC is a better buy than the AC87U as the latter is still really new and has bugs ironed out. That means that you would not have the stability which you require. However the AC87U supports (at the top of my head) 2300ac which you might like despite the fact that very few devices actually support those speeds, and you don't need such high speeds anyways.

Funny you're experiencing a lot of issues with your Netgear R7000. After days of debate between the R7000 and the ASUS RT-AC68U I settled with the Netgear as the hardware is more powerful (CPU as well as no USB 3.0 interference). The R7000 is running near-default settings except for SSID and Traffic Metering and hasn't required a reboot.

I have 10 devices connected to the router 2 of which are wired and the rest are wireless on the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band with no problem, and my connection is a 1Gbit down 1Gbit up. I would suggest that you restore everything to factory settings and try configuring it again; the R7000 has yet to let me down! :)

The range of my R7000 is PHENOMENAL. I can pick up my 2.6GHz from a hundred metres away through some walls and open air. Wired I get 900Mbit/s down/up and wireless I get 600Mbit/s -- WOW!

Last edited:
I think the WRT1900AC is a better buy than the AC87U as the latter is still really new and has bugs ironed out.

You think its the best option to go for the Linksys rather the new Asus?
I don't know or the Linksys firmware is stable now?

In reviews they said the ASUS have an Hardware NAT. I think this is usefull with gaming?

Thanks for advice.

With a 15/2.5Mbps connection, hardware NAT doesn't matter. A 12 year old router can handle that connection without an issue.

I think your lag issue, especially since you say everything is hardwired in, is a result of one of two things (or the combination of the two).

1) Your ISP in general is introducing significant lag in to any connections through their network

2) You are overtaxing your connection while trying to game. Examples, streaming video while gaming, bittorrent while gaming, etc.

A 2.5Mbps pipe up is pretty tiny. It should be fine for most all gaming, however almost ANYTHING that is using your upload bandwidth while you are also gaming is going to introduce lag. Depending on the game, you are going to need between 200-1,500Kbps of upload bandwidth and most modern games are probably going to be closer to the top end of things. So anything sharing your upload bandwidth (Netflix and most other streaming video uses some upload bandwidth to report things like connection quality) is going to have a dramatic impact on gaming latency.

Last thought, it is always possible that there is an issue with your cable modem also.

I'd try gaming with absolutely nothing else running at the time to see how it behaves. If it works fine, its your connection, not the router.

Azzazel1024 ) - First, thanks for your advice. But when i play games, I only play on my console (PS4 / Xbox One) and that's the only device its online on that point.
I have never problems with my isp. It retrieves always the full speed. But my ping is always approx. 9 / 10 ms. I can't get it lower with my cable connection.
It doesn't matter if its plugged directly to the modem.

I'm moving in december to my new apartment and go to another isp.
Then i have 120 mbit down and 30 mbit up.

I think i go for the new Asus device (AC87u). Its more future proof i think.
When i read on the internet about the Linksys WRT1900AC and in the comments above i think the firmware of that device is on this moment also not stable?

Asus or Merlin comes faster with bugfixes and new updates for the AC87u i think?!

HTsimaqe ) - How is the Linksys WRT1900AC with gaming devices like PS4 and Xbox One can you tell me a lot more about that device, qua design it looks nice :)

Last edited:
How is the Linksys WRT1900AC with gaming devices like PS4 and Xbox One can you tell me a lot more about that device, qua design it looks nice :)

I have a PS3 that's in use pretty much all the time except when we're sleeping. My kids use it for streaming TV and I play games on it.

Works great but it's wired to the router via a switch. I'm not using wireless.

I have heard of people with Xbox One issues but the majority of them seem to be related to having multiple boxes on the same LAN attempting to use UPnP at the same time - I've seen similar posts from Asus users for what it's worth.