What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC - product future

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb1146

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Am considering the purchase of two routers to use as access points. The Linksys WRT1900AC seems to be getting good reviews and not much to worry about in the forums.

It has been a while since the last firmware update (July), and along with the release of two subsequent AC routers (E8350, EA9200) I am beginning to wonder what the WRT1900AC's future is.

From what I've read, there are features lacking in the router and I wonder if they will be addressed.

Thanks

What features are you concerned with, specifically?

The WRT1900AC is pretty much mature and stable now. I would guess it's unlikely they add any new features at this point.

What features are you concerned with, specifically?

The WRT1900AC is pretty much mature and stable now. I would guess it's unlikely they add any new features at this point.
Linksys considers the WRT1900AC its flagship router. AFAIK they do plan new features like OpenVPN support. But there is no timetable.

Thanks so much for the replies. I will be replacing 2 Cisco 1231 a/b/g access points with these (or other units). Was also thinking about Apple Airport Extremes as replacement.

Anyway, what are the recommendations regarding whether to have the same
SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz radios?

Linksys considers the WRT1900AC its flagship router. AFAIK they do plan new features like OpenVPN support. But there is no timetable.

I hope you're right. I submitted a feature request last week and they pushed me to lifecycle engineering. Pretty sure they didn't even officially log my request.

And it has been more than 4 months since the last firmware release. That seems like a long time for a flagship router that has some problems. Given how much time it's been, I'm not sure that they're not going to put out V2.0 instead of a new firmware release. You never can tell with these guys, unless Tim has other information.

I guess we'll see at some point. Maybe they'll just leave it as it is and focus on their newer, more expensive flagship routers?

Anyway, what are the recommendations regarding whether to have the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz radios?
I'd use different SSIDs so that you can control which radio clients connect to.

And it has been more than 4 months since the last firmware release. That seems like a long time for a flagship router that has some problems. Given how much time it's been, I'm not sure that they're not going to put out V2.0 instead of a new firmware release. You never can tell with these guys, unless Tim has other information.

I guess we'll see at some point. Maybe they'll just leave it as it is and focus on their newer, more expensive flagship routers?
Linksys considers the WRT series as a different product line than its EA and E products. They have introduced a switch and plan more products to follow.

I don't have specific information on feature improvements planned for the WRT family. But I have emphasized to them that the WRT's feature set doesn't live up to its product position as its high-end "pro" router and they say they have gotten the message. But, we won't know until they deliver something. Maybe they are saving to make a splash at CES2015 in January...

Linksys considers the WRT series as a different product line than its EA and E products. They have introduced a switch and plan more products to follow.

I don't have specific information on feature improvements planned for the WRT family. But I have emphasized to them that the WRT's feature set doesn't live up to its product position as its high-end "pro" router and they say they have gotten the message. But, we won't know until they deliver something. Maybe they are saving to make a splash at CES2015 in January...

The WRT1900AC has a lot of potential, considering its really good hardware. They just need software that takes advantage of it. Since their hope in OpenWRT picking things up for them didn't pan out as expected, I do hope they will indeed devote some development resources on it, as otherwise it's their reputation that will be seriously hit. The enthusiast community won't be so willing to invest in their next high-end device that will claim to be aimed at this particular market segment.

Between the lack of firmware updates and new features not being added. I would stay far away as possible from this thing. It even has some major bugs that still exist for 4+ months. One of them being random reboots. Completely losing settings when powered down and defaulting to stock settings. Network map can cause a random reboot if in there to long and making changes. Among other bugs. Linksys is either dumping this version or moving onto version 2.0 Then again. Possibly going to announce a whole new version in January. Plus the promised and lack of OpenWRT support. 3rd party support in general. This router is a complete joke in the marketing department. And I would hope people don't fall for their next version. Shame on them if they do. Guess they like being lied to and taken advantage of. I heard Linksys made some decent money on this router. So, they got what they wanted and are moving on to reel in more suckers.

Last edited:
Between the lack of firmware updates and new features not being added.

What features does he need if he's going to use it as an AP? Most of the possible requested features only apply if it is being used as a router.

Network map can cause a random reboot if in there to long and making changes.

This issue was confirmed as fixed with the July firmware. I was one of the people that initially reported the problem.

Linksys is either dumping this version or moving onto version 2.0 Then again. Possibly going to announce a whole new version in January.

Based on what empirical evidence? I talk to Lifecycle Engineering about once a week. Tim obviously has contacts within Belkin/Linksys. Do you have any actual information or are you just stating this based on your own opinion?

Would you consider the WRT1900AC a good fit as an access point?

Personally, I think it would be overkill considering its price. You'll be paying a premium for some features you won't be using (high performance USB sharing, for example).

I have my own sources and you can take it for what its worth. No official 3rd party firmware is coming for this router. PERIOD. Specifically OpenWRT. Frankenstein builds do not count working with what they have. And the upcoming firmware release is a complete joke after waiting 4+ months for features and bugs to be fixed. Its as good as abandoned now. As of now its the final firmware build set to release. They have moved onto the new revision coming out in December. If no one believes this. Come back at the end of December and cant say I told you so. They stay hush hush for a reason.

Last edited:
So, if a new version is coming out next month, how will it differ from current version?

Yes, I am using it as an access point. If it seems expensive, so do 3x3 access points. Is the WRT1900AC better than say, an Apple Airport Extreme as an access point?

I don't have linksys insiders but from months was so evident that they do market research in order to provide key features to this routers based on open source users preferences, this due the impossibility to support open-source due the radio drivers (marvel) are reluctant to release it as open source, they only have chance to save it development effort by providing better featured firmware, sure they will offer open vpn, transmission (or similar) and other top choice for open-source consumer, all this as last resort to solve this mistake. Maybe they will rename it as consequence, and maybe later the release another equivalent product but loaded with radios (and other peripherals) backed by true open source friendly code.

Posts moved

Posts on the disconnect problem moved to here. Was getting off-topic.