What's new

Looking for a new NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sk1939

Occasional Visitor
Alright gents, I'm a new user on this particular board, but I do have a question for you all. I'm looking to add a NAS to my network, but have certain requirements that I'd like met. I toyed around with the idea of just turning an old Core 2 Quad box into a NAS, but I didn't think it would be particularly power efficient. I'd like suggestions if you can make any, but first, here are my requirements:

Gigabit copper or Fiber
Must support at least 2 TB's of data
iSCSI is a bonus
Integration with a Domain Controller also a bonus
Less than $500

I have a small network yes, but it is not exactly a typical home network either.

Last edited:
Yes you can

It is an excellent idea to use your old computer.
If you install FreeNas 7 (the new version 8 is not yet consumer oriented)
you can "Enable the system power control utility".
It will cut your CPU speed by four.
You also spin down yours hard drives individualy after 30 minutes or so.
I have 2 of these NAS with 10 hard disks each.
On my UPS, each NAS consume about 60 watts when they idle (after 30 minutes)
CPU temp is 80F, or 26c in Canada.
You don't need big cooling fans, just power down your drives.

I, too, built my last 2 NAS with spare parts (had a Q6600G0 powered one).

In addition to above suggestions, see how low your Q66 can underclock+undervolt (200FSB should give you 1.2 to 1.8GHz and you shouldn't need more than 1V). Alternatively if your mobo can support a Penryn generation chip, trade/buy/borrow from friends as these give you lower idle power consumption. You only need a videocard when you first install and it can be pulled afterwards. Other than that, you can opt for a smaller high efficiency PSU and pull some ram to minimize power usage. Software side, pick your favorite flavor of *nix as they should support iSCSI target and domain controller.

Unless you just want to be green, the money not used to buy new stuff will power the NAS for quite awhile.
/back to lurking

As suggested above. You can built a Freenas system very cheap or I would suggest to get a Qnap or Thecus. I owned both. I hightly prefer Qnap but watch out before upgrading to newer firmware as some has problems.

The problem I have the the Qnap is the speed and price. I plan to use bonded gigabit adapters because quite a few applications are to be stored and loaded directly from the NAS, like a local drive. It will also store HD video and files, but those aren't as intensive. I toyed with the thought of going to 10 Gigabit Ethernet (beyond overkill for a home network, and already have 1/2 of the equipment), but figured there was no point as I would never be able to hit that kind of speed with non-arrayed standard SATA drives.

Last edited: