What's new

Looking for a Wifi Router with good Parental Controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbalellugari@gmail.com

New Around Here
Hi Everyone.
This is my first post here. :)
I'm in the market to buy a new Wifi Router for Home. Nothing fancy.
All the reviews talk about speed and other characteristics but not much about the actual Router usage in a Medium size Apartment.

What I am looking for in a router is good Parental controls.
For example, is it possible to control access based on a Mac Address+ (URL or Keyword)+ Time span.
That would be my top priority in picking the router and reliability is a close second.

I'm not concerned with latest and the greatest protocols.
I'm fairly technical and if the options is to install a opensource firmware on an router, i would consider that option as well.

No amount of Google search didn't help, so I'm hoping that experts like you would recommend something more concrete.

Thank you for your time.
Pavan

Any router can provide Parental Controls - check out OpenDNS

http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/

This is a service they offer... and probably a longer term and more consistent approach.

In any event - do not install ComputerCOP - this is very bad stuff...

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/...rnet-safety-software-hundreds-police-agencies

The best solution - technology doesn't replace good parenting - it's really about teaching them about bad things, and how to avoid those things, and building up trust.