What's new

Looking for advice on wireless AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

germ

Occasional Visitor
My current wireless router isn't working anymore. At first I could just unplug it and replug and it would come back, but now it doesn't. I'm on AT&T U-verse DSL and I have had some problems with slow/intermittent browsing. These latest troubles with the router have pushed me to purchase new equipment.

I like the idea of having a separate router and wireless AP. With wireless technology changing fast, it seems a good strategy to pick a wired router and just replace the wireless part.

I have settled on the Cisco RV042G as the router, but I have a hard time finding a solid AP. It should have n networking (possibly dual-band), but I don't need the latest (ac), as I don't have hardware with such capability yet. Also, since I am already spending ~$200 for the router, I would like to save some money by foregoing the router part of the wireless device, and only purchase a simpler AP.

Any suggestions?:confused:

AP - Only

Unfortunately for the home market there are not that many AP only pieces of equipment available that are less expensive than just re-purposing a router as an AP only.

If you don't have a router that you can re-purpose look for a deal on a wireless router and then following the excellent article on this site which gives step by step instructions on the process. It is straight forward and simple.

APs aren't the only piece of equipment that are not readily available. Try finding a consumer grade Ethernet only router with Gigabyte LAN ports.

My current wireless router isn't working anymore. At first I could just unplug it and replug and it would come back, but now it doesn't. I'm on AT&T U-verse DSL and I have had some problems with slow/intermittent browsing. These latest troubles with the router have pushed me to purchase new equipment.

I like the idea of having a separate router and wireless AP. With wireless technology changing fast, it seems a good strategy to pick a wired router and just replace the wireless part.

I have settled on the Cisco RV042G as the router, but I have a hard time finding a solid AP. It should have n networking (possibly dual-band), but I don't need the latest (ac), as I don't have hardware with such capability yet. Also, since I am already spending ~$200 for the router, I would like to save some money by foregoing the router part of the wireless device, and only purchase a simpler AP.

Any suggestions?:confused:
Can't you press the (demigod) AT&T to provide a good WiFi router at their cost? As do most ISPs?

Any WiFi router can be re-purposed as an AP, easily.

Can't you press the (demigod) AT&T to provide a good WiFi router at their cost? As do most ISPs?

Any WiFi router can be re-purposed as an AP, easily.

AT&T actually does provide a wireless router. In fact, it's a combined DSL modem and wireless router. It's the 2Wire 3600 HGV. Unfortunately, it's a complete POS. It does not even have wireless n. AND, you are stuck with it. Because of the proprietary nature of the U-verse VDSL connection protocol, only this device can be used. So, I have disabled the wireless part and tried to put it in so-called "DMZ-plus" mode. After that, I use a router (now failing) which has wireless and QoS (using DD-WRT firmware).

yeah, the 2-wire is notorious. I'd have thought that after all these years, they'd replace that. But wait! This is AT&T.