What's new

Looking for help regarding my Xbox1 Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmb43

Occasional Visitor
Yes, yes I know, you are probably expecting something along the lines of "My router is in the basement and my xbox is on the third floor and i can't play online games. PLEASE HELP". However, my situation is a little more complex/different.

I've been playing online via wifi on my Xbox 360 for a few months now problem free (no noticeable lag, no wireless interference, etc). I recently purchased an Xbox One, and when connected via wifi I am experiencing lag in the same game (Gears 3 with backward compatibility in the form of; teleporting, character skipping forward, shots not registering etc.

When i run the "Detailed Network Stats" on the Xbox, everything looks great; 6.5mb download, 1.5mb upload, 0% packet loss, 150ms ping (I live in Germany and everything I have read says that test pings servers near Seattle), and 100% signal strength. Not the fastest speeds out there obviously, but it is the advertised ISP speeds. Now, the router and modem are in the next room, but I strung some long ethernet cords just to test and when hard wired to the router, the download, upload, and ping are all the same but the lag is completely gone and the game plays great.

My NAT is open, ports are forwarded, and the console has a static IP.

Tests I've already done:
-Tried both 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the same results
-Tried 2 different routers with the same results (Asus AC66U and ISP provide modem/router combo Speedport w724v)
-Tried placing the router in the same room only several feet away, same result
-Tried turning off UPnP, setting up a DMZ, and port forwarding (separately) with no change
-Tried hard restarting the xbox
-Tried power cycling routers, modems

To me, it seems obvious that my xbox is not communicating properly over wireless...and it seems like its on the xbox side since its the same result with two separate routers? At this point, i'm not sure what else to do or what other tests to perform to narrow down the problem. I would have thought that any problems with the connection would show itself when I run the "Detailed Network Stats" i.e. slower download/upload, poor signal strength, packet loss, but thats not the case.

It's a little tough trying to solve this, because in order to test any changes Ive made I have to start up a multiplayer match, as that is the only time the problem shows itself.

Thoughts?

If you want stability, use an Ethernet cable for your XBOX. Gaming should be done plugged in, via Ethernet, not wireless.

Did you even bother to read the post? I've been playing games online wirelessly for years with no problems unless signal strength is bad or there are other people hogging the bandwidth.

I posted here in these forums because I feel like my issue is unusual and it's beyond my technical abilities when it comes to networking. I think it's fair to say everyone knows wired is the way to go...for basically anything!

I would agree that it's not the router/AP's, as you've tested with both the ISP device as well as third party and the results are the same...

Try going on the wire and see if the problem persists... if so, then it's clearly an XBone problem, and needs to be chased down with Microsoft - if it clears up, then it's probably still a MS problem, but maybe something easier to chase down.

Did you even bother to read the post? I've been playing games online wirelessly for years with no problems unless signal strength is bad or there are other people hogging the bandwidth.

I posted here in these forums because I feel like my issue is unusual and it's beyond my technical abilities when it comes to networking. I think it's fair to say everyone knows wired is the way to go...for basically anything!

Yup, I read your post. If you've been using the same xbox and you are starting to see problems, perhaps the problem lies with the XBOX radios. But, we both know, wired is the way to go, and way easier than all the second guessing with wifi. An XBOX is used in my environment, and would not even consider wifi as a mode of connection.

I would agree that it's not the router/AP's, as you've tested with both the ISP device as well as third party and the results are the same...

Try going on the wire and see if the problem persists... if so, then it's clearly an XBone problem, and needs to be chased down with Microsoft - if it clears up, then it's probably still a MS problem, but maybe something easier to chase down.

I've already done that. And mentioned in the OP that it completely fixes the problem.

My thoughts are that upon speaking to Microsoft, they'll direct me to their Support page where you go through the dumbed-down steps of power cycling your modem, hard restarting the Xbox, etc.

If I am able to send it to them, i have a feeling they won't be able to "see any problems", because as I mentioned the problem so far ONLY shows up when trying to play a multiplayer game online. The Detailed Network Stats in the Xbox settings make the connection look peachy and great.

Yup, I read your post. If you've been using the same xbox and you are starting to see problems, perhaps the problem lies with the XBOX radios. But, we both know, wired is the way to go, and way easier than all the second guessing with wifi. An XBOX is used in my environment, and would not even consider wifi as a mode of connection.

Everything has been going great on my Xbox 360. I just bought this Xbox One a week ago and it has been like this since day one.

I definitely agree that wired is the way to go and if I could do that as a permanent solution I would. On the same hand, I feel like this Next Gen console should be able to handle wireless just as well as its older brother, if not better!

Well, if it's a week old, and wired works fine, then perhaps you've got a bad wifi card in the XBone - return it for exchange...

I'm thinking you're right. I don't have much choice at this point. I even did a factory reset on the Xbox to no avail.

I was hoping someone on here had some tips or tricks on how to troubleshoot it further than what I have, but that doesn't look like the case.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!