What's new

Looking for some advice on maybe a new router purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChrisSovari

New Around Here
I currently own a Netgear WGR614 V4 http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2586 and had been using it for a couple years with ethernet connected devices and have always got the job done. A couple of months ago I was given an older laptop with a wireless G adapter. Before I had the laptop my routers wireless access security was left open and after I got the laptop it was still unsecure for a bit until I decided to lock it down using WPA2.

The connection in the house is fairly good but going out back not so good. I also had a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624 laying around so I thought I would give it a try but found the range is no better and I am finding that my wireless devices have problems establishing a connection after boot-up. Also on the D-Link I don't see an option to do port-forwarding that I used for Torrents and RDP connecting from outside network to internal computer.

I am now starting to get into these media streaming devices and currently bought a Western Digital TV Live and had to run a ethernet net cable from my router downstairs to the main floor for it as I am not going to be keeping it as I decided to by a Popcorn Hour A200 http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog

When I get this Popcorn Hour device I am going to want to use their WN-150 wireless dongle http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=buynow&type=accessories.

We also have a pool out back so I eventually may want to be able to stream audio to my IPhone4 out there and also use my laptop poolside.

I thought it was time to update my router and started doing my research and thought the Linksys WRT400N-CA Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router might be a good replacement but after reading much useful info here I don't think it is going to really provide me any real benefits.

I am hoping someone can read over my post and make any suggestion to my requirements.

Here is a list of things I am looking for.

1. Would like to have good wireless range out by my pool area as well as in the house for laptop & IPhone4 use.

2. Will soon be streaming HD media wirelessly to my Popcorn Hour player on the main floor (wireless router is currently in the basement).

3. In the near future may be setting up Windows Home Server and hopefully streaming audio to my IPhone4 out by the pool.

Wireless HD video streaming is generally a crapshoot. Success depends on content bandwidth, how far you're trying to go and wireless environment. You're better off running an Ethernet connection if at all possible.

Audio streaming is usually not a problem. Bandwidth requirements are generally low and products usually have good buffering (they store a lot of content in memory and play it from there to protect against connection problems).

N and dual-band routers aren't going to help improve range in general and don't really provide a benefit if you're using G clients.

To extend range, the best way is to add an access point connected via Ethernet near the area you want to cover. Next best is to try a repeater or range extender.
Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 1: WDS
Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 2: No WDS Required

You can also try a combination of powerline and wireless:
Innoband HomePlug AV Wireless N Kit Reviewed