What's new

Looking to replace my Synology DS215J

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Monopoly

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Synology DS215J - With a larger 4-bay.

I'm trying to decide which model is best for my usage and with it currently being August is now a good time to buy?

My use case is:

1. Backups (2 MacBook's, 2 Windows 11 PCs, iPhone, iPad second backup aside iCloud).

2. Storage (Videos/Photos) - Mainly to free up space on my iPhone/iPad. Nothing huge there (5GB?). However, Game stream clips/highlights in 1440p60p maybe larger but this currently isn't a huge size currently just 50GB.

3. Maybe store films/movies on and stream to my LG C2 TV. However, this be a maximum of like 3 films a month if that at best.

I've been looking at the DS420+ and DS920+ - not sure if this is my route to go if so which? Or a completely different model you can recommend.

Thanks!

Well, since they are on Amazon for the same price, it is whatever you want. Specs show the DS920+ should have better performance with a 4 core processor and more onboard RAM (adding 4 GB more RAM is a good idea). With either you can move the drives from the old DS215J and add more/larger drives as cash allows. Both have dual LAN ports that can be set up to share the LAN traffic with a single IP address. On my DS220+ I have LAN Port 1 serving my main network and LAN Port 2 set up with a VLAN to server out TV's and ROKU on an IoT VLAN (my AX86U Pro allows me to do VLAN's for both WIFI and Ethernet).

Edit: I moved the 4 TB drives from a DS218J to the DS220+, got it running then replaced the 4 TB drives one at a time with 8 TB drives. When you buy new drives make sure you get drives that are CMR and not SMR!

Sounds like a good approach - something to consider...

Keep the older DS215J around - pop a couple of large capacity HDD's in it, and use it to back up the primary NAS...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!