What's new

Making private IP reachable by the public internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micrage

New Around Here
Hi all,

Basically, I've got an Asus RT-N10+ router. It states that my WAN IP is 192.168.250.249, however online IP checker reports that my public IP is 121.54.86.190

I've already set a static IP.

I've set port forwarding but using port check it says that 'your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable!'

I got a webpage created using IIS7. Other devices using the same wifi network could access the site already. What I want to know is how to make it online?

And I have essentially less comprehension of how this kind of stuffs work.

Help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
You need to use DDNS to create a external web address that will link back to your IP given to you by your ISP, which will allow traffic to hit your router ad then be guided to your web servers internal IP and port number. The router itself will keep the external web address and your ISP's IP in sync to maintain the link.

Could you please elaborate it more. sorry for being noob, but I vaguely understand what it means.

Additional details.

Other devices within my network can access the site I've created through the wan ip (192.168.250.249).

Then I've tried adding DNS, but it points to my public IP (mysite.noip.org - 120.54.86.190). Using IIS7 the site i've created is bound to 192.168.250.249 without host.

Do I have to change the site bindings so that I can put the 'mysite.noip.org' as the host and the IP too will now be 120.54.86.190?

Using the private ip I can Access it within my network. If I want to Access the Website outside the Network, Can I now use the public ip? Can i use the public IP too if I want to access the website within my network?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
If the router has a private IP, it means your modem is also running as a router, not just as a modem. You will have to either check with your ISP if that modem can be put in bridged mode, or if it has some sort of DMZ mode. Otherwise, you will never be able to forward ports through your Asus router - all connections will be blocked at the modem/router in front of it.

If you are using no-ip.org AND you have DUC(version#) software running on one of your PC's you need not worry about your wan IP. Now, whatever port you have set for IIS7 has to be forwarded to your LAN IP 192.168.250.249 (Local IP). Not familiar with your router but to forward the port on my Asus the option is under the WAN/Virtual Server / Port Forwarding tab. Be sure to set this same port number within the no-ip configuration. Assume you used port 88, when any1 on the web tried to connect to mysite.noip.org it is translated into 120.54.86.190:88 (or what ever your current wan ip is) by the no-ip servers.

If the router has a private IP, it means your modem is also running as a router, not just as a modem. You will have to either check with your ISP if that modem can be put in bridged mode, or if it has some sort of DMZ mode. Otherwise, you will never be able to forward ports through your Asus router - all connections will be blocked at the modem/router in front of it.

:eek: Oh... I assumed he was looking at the local ip of his Iis7 server assuming it was his wan ip he needed to use to access this server from the web. Maybe I assumed wrong :mad:

Then I've tried adding DNS, but it points to my public IP (mysite.noip.org - 120.54.86.190). Using IIS7 the site i've created is bound to 192.168.250.249 without host.
Sorry my bad, the site is bound to my static IP which is 192.168.1.150

Suppose this is the case, what remedy could be done then?

If you are using no-ip.org AND you have DUC(version#) software running on one of your PC's you need not worry about your wan IP. Now, whatever port you have set for IIS7 has to be forwarded to your LAN IP 192.168.250.249 (Local IP). Not familiar with your router but to forward the port on my Asus the option is under the WAN/Virtual Server / Port Forwarding tab. Be sure to set this same port number within the no-ip configuration. Assume you used port 88, when any1 on the web tried to connect to mysite.noip.org it is translated into 120.54.86.190:88 (or what ever your current wan ip is) by the no-ip servers.
Yep. got the duc thing. Since i've got the 'mysite.noip.org' I can now put it as host but should I left the binding to my static IP or change it to my public IP?

Thanks all for replying :)

Yep. got the duc thing. Since i've got the 'mysite.noip.org' I can now put it as host but should I left the binding to my static IP or change it to my public IP?

Thanks all for replying :)

Either way wont help you ATM. I assumed wrong. You have to follow Merlins advise first and resolve this ISP modem/router issue. At that point your router will obtaini an IP from you ISP rather than from the ISP modem/router it is connected to. Once it does, DUC will do the rest for you.

Seems really need to contact ISP.

Last edited:
Seems really need to contact ISP.

Yes. Ask them if it's possible to put your modem into bridged mode because you want to use your own router. If not, ask them what they can do to help you. Some modems support a so-called Super DMZ mode. Some ISPs will also offer a different model of modem that will work as a bridge.

Hi all,

Basically, I've got an Asus RT-N10+ router. It states that my WAN IP is 192.168.250.249, however online IP checker reports that my public IP is 121.54.86.190

I've already set a static IP.

I've set port forwarding but using port check it says that 'your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable!'

I got a webpage created using IIS7. Other devices using the same wifi network could access the site already. What I want to know is how to make it online?

And I have essentially less comprehension of how this kind of stuffs work.

Help is highly appreciated.

I think you have Double-NAT (router behind a router).

Who is your ISP and what connection is it (Cable, ADSL, VDSL etc)?

If you have AT&T U-verse, you can enable DMZ-Plus mode which allocates a public IP to one downstream device (which could be the WAN port of your N10)

Adding to the above, it looks like you've in a situation where there is another device that has the public routable ip address in your network. Your router is connected to this device and hence can make outgoing connections. However, this device is probably doing NAT on your and other devices behalf, so incoming connections don't work. Your ISP will be able to tell you what this is and may be able to offer a workaround so that you can make incoming connections.

In my case, I have a fibre connection to the basement of the apartment serving up a private ip address to my router. I asked the ISP to rectify and they switched my connection to use pppoe. Now I have a public static ip address that can be used for incoming connections etc. If you don't have a separate modem, pppoe might be a better place to start the conversation.