What's new

Manage NordVPN recommended servers through addons API page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is working brilliantly! I've never changed my VPN server so often even just for testing... sooo easy!

Seems like it's working for @Marin too (who made the original request around the capability to choose a city)!

I have one final suggestion/request @Jack Yaz... can we have an "update now" button on the page for each VPN server that is being "managed". Then we could switch on demand as well as through a schedule?
we've got that in the cli menu now - webui changes pending outcome of our discussion re. fetch/cors

The pull down menus for country and city appear in the WebUI menu but they do not have any content/options to select from. I will uf once again to see if it makes a difference. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: Once a VPN client is managed from the NVPNMGR menu then country and city selections appear under each managed VPN client menu in WebUI.

Disabled the management of client from the NVPNMGR menu and then went back to WebUI and made my selections (country, city along with protocol, etc) and changed the setting so the client is managed by nvpnmgr. Hit Apply and the correct server was selected.

All is good so far. Will continue testing and report back.

Update: Once a VPN client is managed from the NVPNMGR menu then country and city selections appear under each managed VPN client menu in WebUI.

Disabled the management of client from the NVPNMGR menu and then went back to WebUI and made my selections (country, city along with protocol, etc) and changed the setting so the client is managed by nvpnmgr. Hit Apply and the correct server was selected.

All is good so far. Will continue testing and report back.

Update 2:

nvpnmgr menu:

Country and city selection changes from nvpnmgr menu seem to stick/work better. For example, I configured client 1 to use servers from one city and was pleasantly surprised that the server chosen was the top one shown on the NordVPN app according to selection by “load”. Then decided to update configuration and selected a different city. A correct different server was selected as well as verified on the NordVPN app.

WebUI:

On the WebUI changes don’t seem to stick. From the configuration explained above (done on the nvpnmgr menu), I decided this time to go to WebUI and switch to another city’s servers. Did not change any other settings, only changed to a different city from the pull down menu. Hit Apply. For some reason, the server did not change. Tried again and the same server remained despite changing to different cities.

This time I disabled the management of VPN client on the WebUI. Hit Apply. Waited a few minutes and then went back and enabled management and changed to a different city and hit Apply. Once again the old server (not from the city I had just selected) remained.

nvpnmgr menu:

I went back to the NVPNMGR menu and once again updated the server configuration. A correct server from the city I had just selected appeared. I verified this with info on NordVPN app. Such change also appeared on the WebUI.

Not sure why selection changes when made on the WebUI don’t stick. But maybe the intention was to only made configuration changes on the nvpnmgr menu and not necessarily on the WebUI.

Will keep playing with this.

Just trying out the latest version on the develop branch.
Using the nvpnmgr menu if I choose US for country and then a city everything seems to work ok.
However if I select US for country and no to select city I get the following error:-
jq: error (at <stdin>:204): Cannot index array with string "station"
nvpnmgr: Could not determine IP for recommended VPN server

Update 2:

nvpnmgr menu:

Country and city selection changes from nvpnmgr menu seem to stick/work better. For example, I configured client 1 to use servers from one city and was pleasantly surprised that the server chosen was the top one shown on the NordVPN app according to selection by “load”. Then decided to update configuration and selected a different city. A correct different server was selected as well as verified on the NordVPN app.

WebUI:

On the WebUI changes don’t seem to stick. From the configuration explained above (done on the nvpnmgr menu), I decided this time to go to WebUI and switch to another city’s servers. Did not change any other settings, only changed to a different city from the pull down menu. Hit Apply. For some reason, the server did not change. Tried again and the same server remained despite changing to different cities.

This time I disabled the management of VPN client on the WebUI. Hit Apply. Waited a few minutes and then went back and enabled management and changed to a different city and hit Apply. Once again the old server (not from the city I had just selected) remained.

nvpnmgr menu:

I went back to the NVPNMGR menu and once again updated the server configuration. A correct server from the city I had just selected appeared. I verified this with info on NordVPN app. Such change also appeared on the WebUI.

Not sure why selection changes when made on the WebUI don’t stick. But maybe the intention was to only made configuration changes on the nvpnmgr menu and not necessarily on the WebUI.

Will keep playing with this.

Did you read the commit comments? Webui changes for country aren't supposed to work yet

Using the nvpnmgr menu if I choose US for country and then a city everything seems to work ok.
However if I select US for country and no to select city I get the following error:-
I'll have a look

Did you read the commit comments? Webui changes for country aren't supposed to work yet

Nope I didn’t [emoji6]. Thanks for clarifying and for the hard work on this!

Good catch, fixed https://github.com/jackyaz/nvpnmgr/commit/7d6ccea4c59c9e7daf18dd5a32729159edc3e99a

Hi all,

could it be that the "apply" - button doesn't work anymore? Cli-Menu works fine, but WebUI doesn't recognize anything, no stats at all. It works fine with the old version.

@Jack Yaz im using the develop branch and cli shows connection 1 as "Managed, Active and Scheduled" but web ui shows not managed and not scheduled... I also only see the config for VPN client 1 in the web ui. Is this expected in develop?

@Jack Yaz im using the develop branch and cli shows connection 1 as "Managed, Active and Scheduled" but web ui shows not managed and not scheduled... I also only see the config for VPN client 1 in the web ui. Is this expected in develop?

Exactly what I've discovered. WebUI stays completely unconfigured plus no chance to apply anything.

Last edited:
Ongoing changes, hit option uf and let me know if its still broken. Working locally...

An additional request:

Would it be possible to keep the same VPN client configuration settings on the WebUI when changing/updating servers?

For example, I tend to use a different cipher on my configuration AES-GCM-128 or even 256 and maybe an extra line or two in addition to what is already shown in my custom config section.

However, every time I update my servers in CLI (change city, etc.), my client custom config I’m WebUI goes back to default.

I completely understand the need to have certain default settings when you first set up your client but then after that I wonder if there should be an option to keep custom VPN client config when switching servers or change to default.

And maybe have that option extend to clients 2-5?

Just a thought.

An additional request:

Would it be possible to save the VPN client configuration settings on the WebUI when changing/updating servers?

For example, I tend to use a different cipher on my configuration AES-GCM-128 or even 256 and maybe an extra line or two in addition to what is already shown in my custom config section.

However, every time I update my servers in CLI (change city, etc.), my client custom config I’m WebUI goes back to default.

I completely understand the need to have certain default settings when you first set up your client but then after that I wonder if there should be an option to keep custom VPN client config when switching servers or change to default.

And maybe have that option extend to clients 2-5?

Just a thought.

i can change that, i currently opted to enforce certain settings with the values provided by NordVPN's ovpn files. In the case of cipher, I'm not sure if changing cipher etc. will actually work and is either ignored (if the negotiate bit is changed) or breaks the connection

Hmm, for me it changes nothing in the WebUI, exactly the same as described in the thread above. Disabled and unmanaged.

Hmm, for me it changes nothing in the WebUI, exactly the same as described in the thread above. Disabled and unmanaged.
not seeing that here, clients 1 and 2 loading fine. can you check for console errors in the browser? also screenshots would be useful

Post a copy of
Code:
cat /jffs/addons/nvpnmgr.d/config

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!