What's new

Match DSL modem and wifi speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PMBauer

New Around Here
Question re: device speeds and n/g routers.

Hi all. Thank you for your patience in answering these questions. I am trying to create a small (5 users) network for a non-profit org. I've never done this before.

They have:

WinXP and Win7 PC's

Verizon DSL connection

I would like to be able to connect their desktop PC's to the router via Ethernet cable on the assumption that Ethernet connection would be faster than wifi. Their new, 802.11-n compatible laptops would connect via wifi.

Visitors often come in and connect their laptops via wifi. This includes older model Macs and PC's that are not 802.11-n compatible.

Questions:

Do I have to match speeds of DSL modem/service, wifi router, and wifi/NIC cards? In other words, if I get a wireless N router and N wifi cards, and don't upgrade the current DSL modem, would the DSL modem create a bottleneck between the Internet and the wifi machines? Would upgrading to N be a waste of time without also updating the DSL modem?

If I were to upgrade their Verizon DSL service from 768 Kb-1Mb to 10-15 Mb, how would that change what DSL modem, wifi router and wifi adapters they would need?

What would be the answers to these question if I were to add a 802.11-g wifi router to accommodate the older laptops?

Thanks very much!

I assume that the DSL modem is up to the speeds of your DSL line (and that if you order a DSL line that is faster then what your current modem is capable of, Verizon will send you a new one) and therefore there is no point in upgrading it, regardless of what equipment you hook up to it... So don't worry about the modem :)

If the computers don't communicate locally between each other (only to the Internet) 802.11n will only help If your Internet speed is over 15Mbit/s or so... If your Internet speed is over that, you should think about upgrading to N, if not - don't bother.

Question re: device speeds and n/g routers.

Hi all. Thank you for your patience in answering these questions. I am trying to create a small (5 users) network for a non-profit org. I've never done this before.

They have:

WinXP and Win7 PC's

Verizon DSL connection

I would like to be able to connect their desktop PC's to the router via Ethernet cable on the assumption that Ethernet connection would be faster than wifi. Their new, 802.11-n compatible laptops would connect via wifi.

Visitors often come in and connect their laptops via wifi. This includes older model Macs and PC's that are not 802.11-n compatible.

Questions:

Do I have to match speeds of DSL modem/service, wifi router, and wifi/NIC cards? In other words, if I get a wireless N router and N wifi cards, and don't upgrade the current DSL modem, would the DSL modem create a bottleneck between the Internet and the wifi machines? Would upgrading to N be a waste of time without also updating the DSL modem?

If I were to upgrade their Verizon DSL service from 768 Kb-1Mb to 10-15 Mb, how would that change what DSL modem, wifi router and wifi adapters they would need?

What would be the answers to these question if I were to add a 802.11-g wifi router to accommodate the older laptops?

Thanks very much!
Any 11g router in the $50 range would do. I suggest Linksys, Belkin or Buffalo and avoid D-Link.

Buy a $25 ethernet 10/100 switch. Connect it to the WiFi router. Connect the PCs via ethernet to the switch or the spare ports on the WiFi router.

This will be a bit faster, and more reliable than WiFi. The only big difference will be if some PCs have weak WiFi signals.

Always best to use ethernet wiring and not WiFi, unless running the cables is impossible. Also more secure.