What's new

Maximize compatibility with Wifi "B"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BoostOver

Regular Contributor
Good morning,
I have a problem with two robot vacuum cleaners.
I'm trying all possible ways to resolve the connection problems.
I need your help.
How can I
IMG_8798.png
maximize compatibility with Wifi "B"?I have installed the latest Merlin release on an AX device.Thank you

Good morning,
I have a problem with two robot vacuum cleaners.
I'm trying all possible ways to resolve the connection problems.
I need your help.
How can I View attachment 59604maximize compatibility with Wifi "B"?I have installed the latest Merlin release on an AX device.Thank you

Can you tell us your router model for better support options?

Assuming your router has 1 5ghz network and 1 2.4ghz network the AX standard is backwards bgn compatible so you don’t need to limit your device compatibility. If you’re having issues then yes troubleshoot with bgn only to see if the issue improves.

Judging from the very old wifi standards your robots might not even use 5ghz so stick to only the 2.4ghz network if that is indeed what they are connected to. 2.4ghz has better penetration of walls and concrete then 5ghz.

[Edited to remove unnecessary information]

Explicit and implicit beamforming enable may also help. I would also disable airtime fairness as the further the device is from the AP the less bandwidth it’s allowed, this is just a bandwidth optimization feature that might hurt more then help.

Bluetooth coexistence as to preemptive or disabled maybe something to test.

“Wi-Fi coexistence allows multiple 2.4 GHz technologies including Wi-Fi, Zigbee, Thread, and Bluetooth to operate without signals from one radio interfering with adjacent radios.”

Lastly robot vacuum cleaners are just low power devices so they don’t have the same power transmitter as a desktop would have. The higher the signal power and the more wireless congestion you have is not going to make the situation better. It’s like you having to scream at someone for them to hear you at a concert.

Last edited:
I have reasons for saying this. Yes he’s trying to maximize his compatibility, with his robot vacuum cleaner using the b wireless standard. This is sacrificing overall device compatibility for a wireless standard that is very limited. I believe this is the wrong approach except for troubleshooting.

40Mhz yes. I adamantly do not believe forcing all your clients to 20Mhz only makes any sense unless you’re in a very congested area. I am well aware this is not something you agree with and other believe you shouldn’t set it to 40Mhz to conserve bandwidth for your neighbours on a very limited spectrum of only 11-13 channels. Legally there is nothing wrong with being a channel hog, and will continue to suggest 40 over 20. Unless you can give me a reason to change my mind.

The other settings go back to the top reason which is I think sacrificing overall device compatibility for a wireless standard that is very limited is the wrong overall approach except for troubleshooting.

These days I would recommend 2.4ghz for low power IoT devices or legacy devices, and 5or6Ghz for computers and such. But wouldn’t suggest gimping my ability to connect with a newer standard on 2.4ghz. If he absolutely does not need other devices on this radio except his legacy hardware yes limit away and turn off features that have no compatibility with older b wireless standard.

If you want to elaborate feel free I’m open to being corrected otherwise agree to disagree.

Last edited:
First, thanks everyone for the replies.
Now updates…..
I deduce that what I see "b" is the band used by the robot to communicate with the station. It uses the same channel used by the router and I think that is not a correct situation.

I have an AX82U DSL with Gnuton firmware

IMG_8803.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

Last edited:
First, thanks everyone for the replies.
Now updates…..
I deduce that what I see "b" is the band used by the robot to communicate with the station. It uses the same channel used by the router and I think that is not a correct situation.

I have an AX82U DSL with Gnuton firmware

View attachment 59607

View attachment 59608
This is why I suggested channel 6. Since you have multiple radios on channel 1. It wouldn’t (shouldn’t) be the vacuum it’s likely a neighbours access point or guest networks? The wifi radar won’t see clients just access point or maybe in the rare case ad-hoc networks.

Last edited:
This is why I suggested channel 6. Since you have multiple radios on channel 1. It wouldn’t (shouldn’t) be the vacuum it’s likely a neighbours access point or guest networks?
IMG_8804.jpeg

The first one at the top is my router
The other two are the two robots that will provide as an access point to the base in standard "b"

If I try to change the channel, the robots change the access point to the same channel... very strange situation

View attachment 59611

The first one at the top is my router
The other two are the two robots that will provide as an access point to the base in standard "b"

If I try to change the channel, the robots change the access point to the same channel... very strange situation

Odd. Are you sure you’re not running a guest network because a guest network is not another radio it’s merely a virtualized ap with a different ssid. It will follow your 2.4ghz channel on your main network.

Alternatively it’s possible that your robots communicate via ad-hoc to a base station which then connects to your wifi router instead of just cutting out the middle man. I’m not certain of this.

Last edited:
If not ad hoc is the case an additional plain old access point would be what I would recommend. I would put the access point as channel 6 and your main router to channel 1 name them the same ssid as your main with the same password this will mean your robots “might” be able to roam between channel 1 & 6 but will require two radios from two routers or ap.

This will certainly cause congestion on channel 1 & 6 for any real neighbours, but judging from the lack of other ssid’s parking your claim I don’t see as bad; let them dance around you.

However if ac-hoc with two radios I would plant the base station in between the two radios so things don’t get messy with it channel swapping. As if it doesn’t communicate the change of channels to your robots if they get too far they might suddenly disconnect. If only 1 radio and ad hoc then base station placement is the only factor.

It might not make any difference at all which is also possible because your dependent on the base station of the robots to be strong enough to communicate to the robots which isn’t dependent on your AX router at all.

Last edited:
No intentions to elaborate because we have to go back to Wi-Fi basics.

Your router is a different model, but for better compatibility you can try this:

Whatever you say. But I am getting a little tired of your remarks my guy because it’s not constructive. If you don’t agree ignore what I say. I don’t get paid to offer any advice correct or incorrect, but I still think we’ve managed to narrow down the issue without gimping his compatibility overall. I might not be concise with my explanations, but I’ll still stick with them as we figure it out.

I'm getting déjà vu of another forum member who used to post mostly unrelated advice based on quick Google search. It doesn't work this way. If you have no idea what the problem is - better don't post wild guesses. Not the first thread, completely unrelated and incorrect advice right off the bat.

If they are Roomba, call there support and see if they have fixed there WiFi bugs. A year ago it was pretty sad and we returned ours for a different brand.

I run 2 Roomba robots in my house with no problems. The first one is over 3 years old. I liked the first one so well I bought a second one. I have not had a Wi-Fi problem that I remember.

I have 2.4GHz b blocked. I don't think anybody uses 5GHz a anymore. There was never a 5GHz b.

I run 2 Roomba robots in my house with no problems. The first one is over 3 years old. I liked the first one so well I bought a second one. I have not had a Wi-Fi problem that I remember.

I have 2.4GHz b blocked. I don't think anybody uses 5GHz a anymore. There was never a 5GHz b.

Nobody uses 5Ghz? Where did you get this from? Had Roomba support suggested turning off WiFi B I would have tried that as I don't have any B devices. Pretty pathetic that a modern device can't connect to an AP that has WiFi B enabled.

Nobody uses 5Ghz? Where did you get this from? Had Roomba support suggested turning off WiFi B I would have tried that as I don't have any B devices. Pretty pathetic that a modern device can't connect to an AP that has WiFi B enabled.
I am talking about 5GHz "A". You need to study up.

I run both my Roombas at the same time to reduce the noise as they finish twice as fast.

Nowadays it is not smart to run 2.4GHz "b".

I am talking about 5GHz "A". You need to study up.

I run both my Roombas at the same time to reduce the noise as they finish twice as fast.

Nowadays it is not smart to run 2.4GHz "b".
WiFi A never gained popularity. You did not state A. You need to be polite and also clear.

5GHz A was designed for business. 2.4GHz b was designed for home.
I missed the caps key as I have been drinking. Sorry.

But I love my Roomba vacs. They are on a schedule and keep my house clean running 2 days now for the last 6 months. Prior to that they ran 3 days a week. I got tired of the noise on Fridays so I changed to 2 days a week, Tuesday and Thursday.

5GHz A was designed for business. 2.4GHz b was designed for home.
I missed the caps key as I have been drinking. Sorry.

But I love my Roomba vacs. They are on a schedule and keep my house clean running 2 days now for the last 6 months. Prior to that they ran 3 days a week. I got tired of the noise on Fridays so I changed to 2 days a week, Tuesday and Thursday.

We have had a Eufi robo vac for about 5 years and have it run in the middle of the night so we don't hear it. It cleans the first floor and we sleep on the second floor