What's new

Media Bridge Dropouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v1k0d3n

Occasional Visitor
This may be the wrong place, but it's the first place I'm going to try and start (because of the technical level of folks on this sub-forum, as compared to others).

I seem to be having some wireless media bridge dropouts between two AC1750 devices. I have one set up to be 192.168.1.1 (master, running 5GHz/2.4GHz) and a media bridge at 192.168.1.2 (over the 5GHz channel). What I'm experiencing is after a while, as in usually a few days or so, devices seem to disappear off of the network until I reboot the media bridge. Then everything comes back miraculously...

This is pretty important in my environment, because my setup is a little more complex than most. The master (z.x.c.1) is in a place where all the inside wiring resides. Makes sense, right? :) My MB (z.x.c.2) is in my office where I could not run wiring. I have the MB connected to a cisco 8 port GE switch, and then I have a couple VMWare ESXi servers running on Mac Mini hardware. One of my VMWare servers is also my local DHCP/DNS server (and there's the importance).

Can someone tell me where to start troubleshooting this issue and what logs I should look at to figure this out? There are no interfering networks at all around this place. One would imagine that if there is a dropout, the wireless should/would restart or at least attempt to reconnect to the master. It's leaving me scratching my head...

Thanks for any help or advice!

Ok, so changing the channel bandwidth to 20MHz seemed to solve the issue with the dropouts/lockups. Can anyone explain why this would would be, and if this is the case, why even use the 40/80MHz options?

nevermind...just seemed to do it again. i'm so frustrated with this issue...can anyone help or have you had the same experience?

the routers are both AC66U/R running in router/media bridged mode.

Last edited:
sorry, edited the model (thinking one thing, typing another). AC66R/U. one of each because one was an amazon purchase, other was a best buy purchase.

anyway, i'm on the latest firmware (merlin just released it recently), but this has been occurring for a few versions now.

nevermind...just seemed to do it again. i'm so frustrated with this issue...can anyone help or have you had the same experience?

the routers are both AC1750U/R running in router/media bridged mode.

Factory reset and leave everything regarding your 5ghz channel on defaults. I noticed when I changed band settings I would have various issues with it. Leave them both on default (changes you make to the bridge stick with whatever they were prior to I believe) and retest. Since leaving them alone I havent had any issues with my bridges.

it's a strange issue though...if i keep an icmp packet running at all times, it seems to work just fine and stay up. :confused:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!