What's new

Mounting to a wall?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jon229

New Around Here
I thinking of purchasing an Asus RT-ac66u, an upgrade from WRT54g. I understand there is no mounting arrangement for putting this router on a wall. This unit will be used as a AP and connected to an internal lan, internet routing will be handled by a different device.

Is there a reason it cannot be mounted on a wall? I have not found any specific information.

If it cannot be wall mounted, is there another relatively flat router that is recommended?

Thanks, jon

The RT-AC66U is wall mountable.

Check their product manual (downloadable from their website) for instructions on how to do so.

Stevech:
Thanks, I have the power & cable all figured out. I'll route it through the wall from a closet into the hall near the top of the wall, requiring installation of power in the closet. Unless the power plug is huge, it should be ok. I have no intention of using the additional lan ports or usb.

DreamSlacker:
I read the 2 pdf's before joining this forum. I didn't see that but I guess I missed it. I'll go back and check again.
Thanks,
jon

The RT-AC66U is wall mountable.

Check their product manual (downloadable from their website) for instructions on how to do so.

I went through the user & quickstart manual again and did not see any mention of wall mounting. There is a photo of a mounting bracket but no mention that the mount is for wall mounting. And if that bracket was for a wall, the unit would not be flush mounted to the wall.

The manual says to make sure to "turn on internal cooling"??? Is this just a translation to English problem, perhaps referring to air conditioning? I didn't see anything in the manual indicating a cooling fan.

thanks, Jon

I went through the user & quickstart manual again and did not see any mention of wall mounting. There is a photo of a mounting bracket but no mention that the mount is for wall mounting. And if that bracket was for a wall, the unit would not be flush mounted to the wall.

The manual says to make sure to "turn on internal cooling"??? Is this just a translation to English problem, perhaps referring to air conditioning? I didn't see anything in the manual indicating a cooling fan.

thanks, Jon

The bracket clips onto the wall mounting apertures in the router. Simply remove (or do not mount the bracket if new in box) and you can use screws to wall-mount the unit.

This picture should clear things up:
http://www.overclockzone.com/articles/tor_za/2012/10/asus_rt_ac66u/pic/IMG_0509.jpg

In fact, the mounting holes are illustrated in the setup guide and quickstart guide under the "Mounting the bracket" section.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!