What's new

N66U Slow, Almost Capped, Wireless Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sunnydude

New Around Here
So let me give some parameters:

1. I have the N66U wireless router running Firmware 3.0.0.4.374_5517
2. I have TWC 300/20 Internet with an Arris modem in bridge mode with the N66U
3. I have a Sager computer with a Killer Wireless N-1202 built in adapter

If I plug into the ports on the back of the router, I can get 320/22 speeds no problem.

Connected to the 5Ghz mode on the router, sitting only 5-6 feet from it, I can only get around 95/10.

In 2.4Ghz mode, it's the same deal. I can only get around 100/10.

It's bizarre, especially the upload, because it almost acts like it is capped. But again, in wired mode, it's a breeze to get 300+/20+ every single time.

I've got no other 5Ghz networks and I changed several channels 1/6/11 for the 2.4Ghz and none of that made a difference.

I also got the same results on my wife's computer in the 2.4Ghz mode.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

So let me give some parameters:

1. I have the N66U wireless router running Firmware 3.0.0.4.374_5517
2. I have TWC 300/20 Internet with an Arris modem in bridge mode with the N66U
3. I have a Sager computer with a Killer Wireless N-1202 built in adapter

If I plug into the ports on the back of the router, I can get 320/22 speeds no problem.

Connected to the 5Ghz mode on the router, sitting only 5-6 feet from it, I can only get around 95/10.

In 2.4Ghz mode, it's the same deal. I can only get around 100/10.

It's bizarre, especially the upload, because it almost acts like it is capped. But again, in wired mode, it's a breeze to get 300+/20+ every single time.

I've got no other 5Ghz networks and I changed several channels 1/6/11 for the 2.4Ghz and none of that made a difference.

I also got the same results on my wife's computer in the 2.4Ghz mode.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

What's your link rate?

This card seems to be a dual stream interface based on its photo. You won't get more than 120-140 Mbps assuming you have channel width set to 40 MHz (which will be problematic on the 2.4 GHz band where 20 MHz is far more common, and would yield around 80-90 Mbps max).

What's your link rate?

This card seems to be a dual stream interface based on its photo. You won't get more than 120-140 Mbps assuming you have channel width set to 40 MHz (which will be problematic on the 2.4 GHz band where 20 MHz is far more common, and would yield around 80-90 Mbps max).

The link rate is 144.4 Mbps in 2.4 GHz and 300 Mbps in 5 GHz. I do have the 2.4 band set to only 20 Mhz so if you are saying 80-90 Mbps is max, that makes sense as that's what I am getting.

It's still odd that the upload doesn't max out at 20 Mbps. It's also frustrating the 5 GHz, which is on 20/40 auto, isn't any faster using speedtest.net.

So I misspoke in my initial post. I just tried the speedtest on my wife's computer on the 2.4 GHz and her computer always maxes out the upload at 20-22 Mbps, whereas my computer hits a wall at about 10.5 Mbps, no matter 2.4 GHz/5 GHz. Anyone know of an OS setting or anything that would limit this?

The 5 GHz is definitely faster copying files internally on the network. I get between 11-16 MB/s using it. I get a pretty stead 8-10 MB/s using the 2.4 GHz.

But no real complaints there. I'm just perplexed on why I can't get closer to the 200 Mbps range (and 20 Mbps upload) on the 5 GHz network no matter my distance to the router.

I'm considering getting an AC68U (or Nighthawk AC1900) or waiting for the Asus AC3200 and getting some AC USB adapters to go with it if I can't figure this out but would hate to do that if this is an OS issue or Asus configuration issue.

Thanks for the help!

I would suggest moving to the 374.43 RMerlin firmware, doing a full reset to defaults and also using a new ssid for both bands. Then manually setup the router (don't use a saved backup config file).

Change only the settings on the new firmware that are required to get you online.

Then, each additional change needs to be tested at least a couple of days to determine if it is beneficial or not.

The common settings that help me with my RT-N66U are setting it to (both bands):

Short Preamble and 200mW Tx power level (don't worry, it's not linear...).

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...s/32431-is-your-routers-transmit-power-juiced

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32435-higher-power-now-allowed-for-5-ghz-wi-fi

With the above giving you a stable base to work from, I would then try each channel in each band to determine the best one for now (until your wireless environment changes). Again, a day or two on each channel is the best way to test for this change. And forget about programs like inssider, simply do a throughput test to see which channel is really better for your situation.

I have the same issue with my N66U. Just updated to .374.43 merlin and did a 30/30/30 reset to no avail. My internet connection is 60 MBit/s. Connecting directly to the router yields 57-59MBit/s tests. Over wifi (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) I get a large peak to around 75MBit/s and then it immediately drops down to 37-40MBit/s and remains there for the entire test. I tried moving the router from the metal shelf it was sitting on thinking that there might be interference problems, but that didn't change anything. I have replicated the speed test behavior on 2 devices: a Nexus 5 and a PC with the USB-N53 adapter.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out the provider was being weird.... Google fiber please save us.

Last edited:
Just a note that a 30/30/30 reset does not apply to Asus routers. You need to do a reset to defaults and a hard power cycle for a complete 'reset' (pull the power cord, don't simply do a reboot from the gui menu).