What's new

Need advice on best configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigmjh

New Around Here
Hi - I'm fairly new to networking ... know the basics ... and I recently received one of the new FiOS G1100 Quantum Gateway routers. I'm trying to get a better WIFI signal throughout the house. Below I've posted a picture of my current configuration and two possible new ones using the G1100.

My office PC is wired directly into the current FiOS router (MI424WR) and I have a 125' run of CAT5 to connect to other equipment in the family room vis a 4 port switch. I also have a Cisco E4200 router providing the WIFI at that end of the house.

My question - what's the best use of / configuration that will maximize the WIFI coverage? I have shown two possibilities on the diagram below ... but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.
WIFI PLAN3.jpg

Maximize "coverage" or maximize speeds and throughput?

If it's only coverage you're concerned about, then so long as you have whatever is sitting in your family room set up as an AP, you should get decent coverage there.

If you're interested in highest speeds and throughput, then you'd be well served (IMHO) to get rid of the MI24WR completely (it's an Actiontec 802.11g, and clearly is obsolete if you have any 802.11n or ac devices (e.g., modern smartphones, tablets, newer laptops, etc.).

I would use the G1100 so it connects first, and then using one of it's GigE ports to do your 125' run directly to your family room, where I'd connect something newer than the MI24WR...e.g., either your E3200 (which is an 802.11a/b/g/n only device), or better yet, I'd buy an AC1750 or AC1900 capable device that will provide better wireless coverage and wireless speed and throughput with 802.11ac speeds (of course that will mean that perhaps you'll have to upgrade some wireless adapters in devices, but most new smartphones use 802.11ac, e.g., iPhone 5's and the Galaxy S3's, 4's or 5's, as do most new tablet devices and newer laptops).

Of course, this may in part be a trick question...because you're running 125' of CAT6 cable, that may be an issue with signal strength (I don't know what the maximum cable runs can be before too much signal loss). [Edit to add: Never mind...just did some quick looking and see that the maximum runs can be 328 ft, or 100 meters].

But since the new G1100 also has MOCA, you could even eliminate the CAT6 cable run and just use a MOCA adapter to connect to your family room (assuming you have coax cabling in your house) where you could then connect another MOCA adapter to whatever new AP you're going to connect there.

In short, use the G1100 as the router, and as first device to connect to the FIOS ONT, then use MOCA to connect to the Access Point (802.11ac dual channel device) in your family room.

One other thought. Try using just the G1100; it's an AC1750 device and you may find that it provides sufficient wireless coverage in your family room even without a separate access point. Just a thought....

Lastly, the G1100 looks pretty interesting. Let us know how it performs and whether you're actually intending to use the Z-Wave/Zigbee capability (personally, I think that's just a recipe for more interference and insecurity...but who knows... this use of a combo router/wireless to do Home-based IoT is really too new to know).

Last edited:
jegesq - The MI424WR is the updated "GigE" version with both 802.11n and 802.11 b/g. I will try just the G1100 in the office without a family room AP, as you suggested, and see if I get coverage. I know that an AC1750/AC1900 would give me faster throughput ... but not sure if I need it. The Cisco Linksys 4200 (current AP) is dual band with reasonably fast speed.

I like your suggestion of using the G1100 as the primary router then using coax connection for the AP. Would my current MI424 GigE connected as the AP - using MOCA - be preferable to using that or the E4200 with the Cat5 connection?

As for your question about Z-wave ... I have several z-wave-controlled switches and outlets that I control with an Intermatic controller / timer and a GE handheld remote. I'm interested in finding out just what capabilities the G1100 will have in this area. I'm not sure if they are in the current build or in the rumored "soon-to-be-released" firmware update.

Again, if you're only interested in "coverage" then either the MI424WR (Actiontec) or the Linksys should provide sufficient coverage (i.e., just wireless signal) in addition to whatever you're getting from the Quantum 1750AC. If you're not concerned about wireless speeds and using 802.11n is all you're after, I don't think its going to make a huge difference which one you use (Actiontec or Linksys) in your family room. Try them both and see which performs best. You will want to set a different SSID and channel numbers than the 1750, so you're not fighting with the same channel, but otherwise, either one should provide sufficient additional coverage. I have not used either device, so I have no personal experience with this and can only compare the specs; and since you say the Actiontec was upgraded to GigE and 802.11n, it's probably going to be comparable to the Linksys.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!