What's new

Need advice on replacing dying Netgear WNDR3700v2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I got my router up and running this morning, loaded with latest Merlin FW.

The signal strength is actually a little less than the 3700. I left the radios at the default 80mW.

I haven't tried messing with antenna placement yet.

Any suggestions?

After searching the forums, I decided to start messing with the antennas. All I can say is "wow". Those things are finicky. After an hour of move - check inSSIDer - move - check inSSIDer, I finally got it where I want it.

The RSSI readings are a tad better than the 3700v2 now and in my office, the N66W readings are actually a bit better than the 2 APs that are 12-feet (and 2 less walls) closer.

at 2.4GHz, you can move just inches or change the orientation of the receiving antenna, and patiently wait to get many averaged RSSI readings, and see large differences. In non-line-of-sight, this is often due to multipath (reflections) which can be constructive or destructive depending on the sum of the "rays" reflected. It's more evident in the frame error rates (not displayed) than simple signal strength. Reflected signals arrive at the receiver's antenna(s) at different times due to the different path lengths (from reflections).

This is why MIMO came to be - to take advantage of, or minimize the effects of different kinds of multipath impacts.

Yeah, moving these antennas an inch one way or another can make a drastic change. It took me a while to get used to it.

So after a couple of days of intermittent packet loss, QoS tweaking, and DNS weirdness, I've decided to return the Asus and get a Netgear R7000.

I didn't want to spend that kind of money but I've always been a Netgear user (was a beta tester for a long time) and always had great luck with their products. After looking at all of the models available and their price points, it seemed like a no brainer to just go for the top of the line.

That's what I did when I bought the 3700 and it served me very well for 4 years.

Got my R7000 today.

Right out of the box, the signal is stronger on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

After messing with the antennas, I was able to get about a 7.5% improvement on the 2.4Ghz over the 3700 and Asus and a whopping 20% improvement on the 5Ghz.

The 5Ghz channel is actually useable in a couple of areas where it wasn't before, like my office.

EDIT: Over time now, I'm also noticing that the signal reading in inSSIDer fluctuates FAR less than on the Asus.

Last edited: