What's new

Need Help deciding on a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psiclone

New Around Here
Good evening,

Currently I have an Asus rt-n16 router connected to a 100mbps download/ 5mbps upload charter cable connection. The main computer I am using is hardwired into the router and I am getting a speed test result of about 102mbps through this. However when I connect the modem directly to the computer I am getting speeds of around 120mbps. The question I'm asking is there a way for me to be able to harness this extra speed with a newer router? If so what would be some good choices and not too much overkill? Looking mainly to be able to fully utilize my connection for usenet downloads.

The only things I have connected to the wireless network currently are a few smart phones and a wdtv live and roku 3. I use the main hard lined computer to decode and stream media from the main computer to the wdtv live.

Thanks.

A new router would help immensely in getting the maximum possible speeds from your ISP.

I would recommend the RT-N66U or the RT-AC56U for your consideration.

The RT-AC56U is the higher spec'd router and it is cheaper too. Both routers have the 5GHz band, but the AC56U is also an AC1200 class router which should prove useful in the future as you add new devices to your network.

Either of these routers should give you a noticeable boost over the performance of the N16 and if the location of your current router is roughly in the middle of your home, the RT-AC56U should be just as suitable with it's internal antenna vs. the external antenna of the N66U.

Make sure you update the router to the latest RMerlin firmware (I am currently running the 376.47 Beta 1 and am very happy with the performance and stability), do a factory reset, then setup your router and enjoy.

This article may also interest you before you purchase.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

And it is the reason why I'm suggesting an AC class router for you.

Thanks for the post. Upon conducting some review research on the ac56u I am seeing a lot of negative reviews of the 2.4 ghz bandwidth channel. Have you encountered this problem? I think my wdtv live may only run on the 2.4 n channel and am afraid this may become a serious issue. thanks

I have not experienced any problems on the 2.4 ghz....on the contrary it has been rock solid. I also have a wdtv live and stream music, videos and Netflix with no issues.
Cheers!

Thanks for the post. Upon conducting some review research on the ac56u I am seeing a lot of negative reviews of the 2.4 ghz bandwidth channel. Have you encountered this problem? I think my wdtv live may only run on the 2.4 n channel and am afraid this may become a serious issue. thanks

Here is my impression of the RT-AC56U with slightly older firmware from RMerlin, of course.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99500&postcount=365

At least with that router and firmware combination and the specific location I was testing in, the router was flawless (and still is).

When I read reviews - and especially NewEgg's - I don't give a lot of credence to positives or negatives. The only issue I pay attention to is, "Does the vendor ever respond?"

I'm not a user of Asus BUT I can see why this forum has fans of it - because this forum has one of the firmware developers as a regular participant. This gives me a wide open door to complain, snit, stomp 'n scream. He's setting himself up for that. (Poor chap... he'll likely send me all the Linksys and TP's I could handle now!)

I also believe every vendor delivers a DOA or nearly-dead product occasionally. There is no escape. Everyone gets a bad one in their consumer history - or they soon will.

Wireless throws in another bit o' quicksand - "Your mileage may vary" couldn't be a more appropriate cliché between petrol usage and WiFi signals. Your environment will be different from 99.99% of every other user of any product. How many hangers are in your closet? How old is the wiring in the walls? Did you add in krypton - red or green?

"Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances" is correct with all of these products. The one issue that this forum makes apparent is "there is a broad variety of support and technical expertise." For Asus, Netgear, Linksys and a few others.

Of course, when I buy one-sy units locally, I do that so I can test them and easily return them without any RMA processing. I end up with the best product for me.

I also believe every vendor delivers a DOA or nearly-dead product occasionally. There is no escape. Everyone gets a bad one in their consumer history - or they soon will.
Of course, when I buy one-sy units locally, I do that so I can test them and easily return them without any RMA processing. I end up with the best product for me.

We call that infant mortality rate, 0-3 months, whether it's a mother board, hard drive, a/v receiver, it's pretty normal. There was a period when Western Digital had an IMR of 20% on their bulk drives and Seagate was 10% out of every case of drives. On their individual consumer packed single drives it was lower, better QC ???, possible or different assembly line maybe.
Higher end stuff it's a different story, Pioneer Elite lines get burned in, same with Marantz, oppo and other higher end products. I've never had a real new Cisco router or cisco or HP switch do a DOA or IMR. Just my experience. I also feel that having all my stuff plugged into UPS's, even at home, helps.