What's new

Need help to setup WNR843Bv2 as WLAN Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

warmachine79

New Around Here
Ok, I want this router just to make Wireless Lan available in my flat. DHCP, NAT, Firewall, Internet Connection is done by my FritzBoxFon 5050. The WNR834Bv2 has better router capabilities, but I think the VoIP-function of my Fritzbox won't work if I use it as modem-only.
What I did:
- Disabled DHCP on the WNR834B
- Changed the IP-Address, so that it is in the same network
- Attached it to the FritzBox via the Lanport
- Setup WLAN as WPA2(AES) only

It seems to work. It failed once after operating for 30 Minutes, but that was when I set the channel to "Auto" and it changed from channel 6, which is free, to channel 1, where my neighbour has his 54g-WLAN.

My Questions:
1) What does my WAN-tab have to look like? I disabled the SPI-Firewall and changed the NAT-Filter to open for I don't want a conflict with the FritzBox. The other Items are unchecked
2) QoS Setup page: just "Enable WMM" is checked, rest is unchecked. Correct?
3) Dynamic DNS, Static Routes, Remote Management: No Changes made; correct?
4) Disabled UPNP. Correct?
5) Basic Settings: "No"; "Empty/Empty"; "Get Dynamically from ISP"; "Get Automatically From ISP"; "Use Default Address" are the checked Items. Correct?
6) Wireless settings: as mentioned, WPA2 AES. Manually chose channel 6 because when set to auto, it ruins the shirt of my neighbours Pussy-54G-WLAN.
7) Ok, THIS is something I don't understand. First I thought, it would easily work by just enabling the "Wireless Base Station" in the "Wireless repeating function"-tab. When I try this, it wants me to disable the WPA2. I NEED WPA2. Otherwise my neighbour might pay me back screwing up his pussy-WLAN ;).
8) I mentioned how the router is being used. Does it make sense to DD-WRT it?

Last edited:
WAN settings don't matter since the port is unconnected. QoS settings can be whatever you want but suggest leaving WMM enabled. Same for settings related to router function, i.e. they don't matter.

If you are interfering with your neighbor switch to 20 MHz channel bandwidth so you don't hog the whole 2.4GHz spectrum.

The "Wireless Base Station" setting relates only to WDS, which you aren't using.

Use DD-WRT if you want to, but again, routing improvements don't matter since you aren't using them.

WAN settings don't matter since the port is unconnected. QoS settings can be whatever you want but suggest leaving WMM enabled. Same for settings related to router function, i.e. they don't matter.

If you are interfering with your neighbor switch to 20 MHz channel bandwidth so you don't hog the whole 2.4GHz spectrum.

The "Wireless Base Station" setting relates only to WDS, which you aren't using.

Use DD-WRT if you want to, but again, routing improvements don't matter since you aren't using them.
Does it have any negative impact on my performance or stability to switch to 20Mhz?

Does it have any negative impact on my performance or stability to switch to 20Mhz?
Throughput for 11n clients will be reduced under strong signal conditions. On the other hand, you will get a more reliable connection under weaker signal conditions.

In case that I decide to reconfigure the WRN834B as a router (NAT, DHCP) and the FritzBox will only be the modem, will the VoIP of the FritzBox still work?

Don't use DD-WRT on that router better off keeping Netgear firmware. Once you install the DD-WRT mini then standard it's a real pain in the neck to use. I have some results using the firmware with this router. TX/RX was worst with DD-WRT. You can give it a try but good luck. Media streaming was awful with this router though when I was using it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!